AOE 3 ESL viable/competitive?

Germany Sydaphex
Crossbow

AOE 3 ESL viable/competitive?

Post by Sydaphex »

Hi poops,

Iam just a newbie actually, and I may asked myself few times now: is AOE3 viable for more? Or is it just outdated? Because the time for such games is over?

Well like Warcraft 3 FT before it was competitive, and had less strategy/tactic/offerings than AOE3 actually have imo.
Or its just Because it was from Blizzard?

Whats your opinion, or thoughts on this?

Btw.: sorry for my englisch, Iam from GER.

Regards
Sydaphex
Suche deutsches Team / looking for a german team.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Re: AOE 3 ESL viable/competitive?

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Age Of Empires 3 is definitely viable. People have just stopped playing it sadly.
You can check out past events here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=551
AOE3 can most certainly competitive. It still is to an extent. More tournaments are popping up again.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Germany Sydaphex
Crossbow

Post by Sydaphex »

Thanks for your answer JakeyBoyTH,

Well there must be a affordable way to bring this game back to the screens of the gaming world.

Just playing and get many spectators to get to Page 1 on twitch.TV's live site and get seen cant be a good way...
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Sydaphex wrote:Just playing and get many spectators to get to Page 1 on twitch.TV's live site and get seen cant be a good way...

We managed to do this during the Spring Championships of 2015.
Germany Sydaphex
Crossbow

Post by Sydaphex »

And for now?

Iam sure too, that AOE3 is not outdated... The Problem is maybe, how to reach other ppl and get them back from playing kids raging games like LOL.

maybe some nice, professional YouTube Videos? With improved graphics?

And btw: the Screenshots i googled from AOE3 they are rly HD and the landscape/enviroment looks much better than mine, is it about the graphic card?

I have a radeon gd 7xxxx With 2gb?!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

AoE3 is definitely outdated. It's a buggy game with no support from its developers, but we're doing what we can.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

All that's missing is investment from microsoft which is not gonna happen soon

Germany Sydaphex
Crossbow

Post by Sydaphex »

Cant understand why MS stopped the Support.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

ES got shut down and MS picked AoE2 as their main product cause it has more nostalgia and is more popular basically. AoE3 is too new to be remade.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Yeah aoe2 is more popular so they basically revived it with a minimal amount of support. I don't expect any MS support in the upcoming years, and I'd bet they will never actually start supporting aoe3 again.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

You could absolutely play AoE3 in ESL. Only problem is ESO. Would be nice to have a more modern platform for the game and actual dev support to fix cheating and do some official balance changes so everyone is forced to play on the same patch. EP is better in so many different ways but RE is where the games are to be found. No one wants to cajole their fellow players into restarting the game to play on EP so everyone just RE for the sake of getting the games going with minimal hassle.

Either ESO needs official support or AoE3 as a game would have to migrate to a different service like GR or even Voobly (which is apparently where thousands of AoE2 players are). I don't see either happening so no ESL or more support. It's really a shame MS is picking up AOE2 and even AOM support but not AoE3. AoE3 would be a lot more vibrant if it were cared for more. Not that ESOC is doing a bad job or anything, the only thing wrong with ESOC is that they don't actually service ESO itself.

^^ maybe in time. or aoe4. I might pick up aoe2 soon to see what all the fuss is about.
Germany Sydaphex
Crossbow

Post by Sydaphex »

kami_ryu wrote:You could absolutely play AoE3 in ESL. Only problem is ESO. Would be nice to have a more modern platform for the game and actual dev support to fix cheating and do some official balance changes so everyone is forced to play on the same patch. EP is better in so many different ways but RE is where the games are to be found. No one wants to cajole their fellow players into restarting the game to play on EP so everyone just RE for the sake of getting the games going with minimal hassle.

Either ESO needs official support or AoE3 as a game would have to migrate to a different service like GR or even Voobly (which is apparently where thousands of AoE2 players are). I don't see either happening so no ESL or more support. It's really a shame MS is picking up AOE2 and even AOM support but not AoE3. AoE3 would be a lot more vibrant if it were cared for more. Not that ESOC is doing a bad job or anything, the only thing wrong with ESOC is that they don't actually service ESO itself.

^^ maybe in time. or aoe4. I might pick up aoe2 soon to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for your message,

and where is the problem? Because eso have no acess to change something in the game? Because copyrights etc?
Or is it a question of knowledge?

To time consuming for just a game?

A professional HP should be the lesser problem.
I think some1 should write down something in the AOE2 forums and get them on our side.

Cant unterstand why AOE2 gets the support because of more Nostalgia.... Wtf?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

kami_ryu wrote:You could absolutely play AoE3 in ESL. Only problem is ESO. Would be nice to have a more modern platform for the game and actual dev support to fix cheating and do some official balance changes so everyone is forced to play on the same patch. EP is better in so many different ways but RE is where the games are to be found. No one wants to cajole their fellow players into restarting the game to play on EP so everyone just RE for the sake of getting the games going with minimal hassle.

Agreed. Despite all ESO pros, like implemented into the game, awesome layout (look at GR/Voobly — sic!) etc., it lacks a lot in comparison with the service AoC receives on Voobly. Integrated rankings (separate 1v1 and team, even scenarios!), spectator heaven, recorded games stored on the site, proper anti-cheat measures, integrated fan patch (:!:) and so on... :roll:

Sydaphex wrote:I think some1 should write down something in the AOE2 forums and get them on our side.

Cant unterstand why AOE2 gets the support because of more Nostalgia.... Wtf?

It was discussed during server crisis last year, I think the consensus was something like too much hassle, uncertain reward and dividing the community even more (that is when ESO is still up and running).
AoE2 is just an older game, it has its own climate and I don't think many 2D RTS games can come up to its level.

Sydaphex wrote:maybe some nice, professional YouTube Videos? With improved graphics?

And btw: the Screenshots i googled from AOE3 they are rly HD and the landscape/enviroment looks much better than mine, is it about the graphic card?

I have a radeon gd 7xxxx With 2gb?!

https://www.youtube.com/user/InterjectionVideos

You just have to set all the graphic setting to the maximum in your game, although some screenshots, like the ones for wallpapers, can be edited a bit and enhanced in scenario editor etc.
Germany Sydaphex
Crossbow

Post by Sydaphex »

The hope is so i hope, not lost that there can be more out of this game to be a competitive like starcraft, lol etc?
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

Sydaphex wrote:The hope is so i hope, not lost that there can be more out of this game to be a competitive like starcraft, lol etc?
It's impossible to make aoe3 that competitive. It's a very old game, and the only thing that can make some competition, is probably a tournament, but when concluded, you need to organize another tournament subsequently. This requires an huge amount of time to spend. In starcraft II a lot of money get invested. More money around a game, more competitive it will be.

- In 10+ years of playing, players have grown and they probably had to deal with more important things in their life. Let's be serious, when you're young you can play a lot, but at some point, you'll not be able to play the game with the same constancy, because you work or whatever.

- To prevent this inactivity, a much better advertisement for this game would've helped a lot I guess. Starcraft, League of Legends are much more famous than Aoe3.

I read a thread about why Aoe3 is less popular than Aoe2, check this if you want to. http://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/83394
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:- In 10+ years of playing, players have grown and they probably had to deal with more important things in their life. Let's be serious, when you're young you can play a lot, but at some point, you'll not be able to play the game with the same constancy, because you work or whatever.

AoE2 is 6 years older???
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

pecelot wrote:
DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:- In 10+ years of playing, players have grown and they probably had to deal with more important things in their life. Let's be serious, when you're young you can play a lot, but at some point, you'll not be able to play the game with the same constancy, because you work or whatever.

AoE2 is 6 years older???
Ye but it's more famous
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

True, your point is invalid, though :!: