Jap recs!

No Flag jono
Crossbow

Jap recs!

Post by jono »

Given the recent thread on playing vs Japs, I thought it may be useful for some of us to post recs of the MU's we've played recently vs Japan. Looking through my recorded games I only had 1 but attached in case it can help - not the best play from me, but in the previous game I went single rax pike (10-15) into FF for skirm / uhlan combo. This game I tried something different which can work.

The key thing, however, is to scout where the Jap will gather resources - where is his berries, gold, orchard. You need to pressure one of these, which usually means side FB. If you start in front of his base, most players will use wonder, consulate etc. to wall - any rush will likely fail as you can't do enough economical damage to Jap and you've forgone your own eco in favour of units early game.

I tried something similar as Russia in this ASC tourney with side BH, pressure villagers, got pushed back and went for shrines. Problem is that you need to mix strels vs ashi and even with musk/strel combo the siege damage is rubbish. I remember having debates about this MU with Darwin when he used to play, and one strat is to camp in Jap base early with Russia rather than to snipe vills.

If anyone else has any recs please upload!
Attachments
[RE SP] cardiffscott13[JP] vs Sked[GE] - Siberia.age3yrec
(377.62 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Siberia
Siberia
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: Official Patch (Legacy)
Length: 15 minutes
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Jap recs!

Post by lemmings121 »

pretty good!
always heard xbow pike loses to proper defense, but i guess this game proves the opposite.

If you had at some point done 5 pikes to kill shrines, would it be better? or you just need to focus on having a bigger mass on the attack?

And thanks for the replay! :D
No Flag jono
Crossbow

Jap recs!

Post by jono »

The key here is to pressure eco and maximise vill idle time - and also work out what your opponent is doing. If he hadn't boomed so much and invested earlier in military then the game could go different, but then you can adapt and go age III earlier. Not all games will go this way, the earlier game vs him I played more standard which forced him into doing something slightly different.

You can make 5 pike to kill shrines, but personally I wanted to have a decent mass of xbow to one-shot vills and to force him into military rather than eco shipments. Killing a shrine or two with pikes wouldn't have made much difference to his eco, not as much as idling 10+ vills, and I had a big enough xbow mass that the only way I'd lose is to mass nagi. For that reason I wanted to keep my pike until the uhlan shipment came.

Be good for guys to try out some different strats and see how it goes!
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Jap recs!

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Imo bow rush>japan.
Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Jap recs!

Post by CuCkO0 »

I don't have any recorded games of me playing vs Japan.

I do however have a random one from QS from like 2 years ago of me playing Japan though! :D

enjoy the terrible game xoxo
Attachments
[RE SP] maru[PT] vs CuCkO0[JP] - Sonora.age3yrec
(398.88 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Sonora
Sonora
Length: 17 minutes
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for
No Flag jono
Crossbow

Jap recs!

Post by jono »

Here's another if anyone's interested, which was supposed to be a pike semi-ff, but had to adapt into colonial play to start.

p.s. lots of mistakes made, but the largest one was not scouting what Jap was doing at key moments in the game. Sometimes you can over focus on treasure as you 'guess' the strat of the opponent and think yours will win, but the opponent can always throw in something crazy if you have no idea what they're doing. And yeah my vills were supposed to tank damage, but not all commit suicide in the last fight xD

One colonel I've played a few times goes tori gates for the free samurai, ships samurai and makes ashi/nagi with clubs from consulate. This is quite hard to deal with for German, especially if you don't scout it.
Attachments
[RE SP] 无名小卒[JP] vs Jsimons1289[GE] - Yucatan.age3yrec
(409.93 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Yucatan
Yucatan
Length: 15 minutes
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Jap recs!

Post by princeofkabul »

I personally think that prolonged bow Pike colonial play just sucks vs Japan. Therefore i would go bow Pike semi with Like 5 Pikes and 10 bows. Bow Pike Rush can be countered by one superior japanese Archer unit. Also CM japanese towncenter 1 hit bows and Pikes. And walling makes it impossoble to breach Japan early colonial. You can see me doing strat Like bow/Pike semi vs nagayumi in the asc spring championships, (tho i made only 5 bow which sucked cause can't 1 hit ashi).
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Jap recs!

Post by zoom »

GET REKT JAP BASTARDS
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Jap recs!

Post by lemmings121 »

zoom wrote:GET REKT JAP BASTARDS
I fell so much anger... I assume you have a history with Japanese opponents... ???