(French 2nd Lt vs Captain British) Could I get some feedback on what I could do better?

United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

(French 2nd Lt vs Captain British) Could I get some feedback on what I could do better?

Post by site »

I'm guessing I lost this one mostly because I slowed down my fortress age by doing 3 hussar as first card in colonial to raid with instead of 4v, 700w, or 700 coin first in colonial. Other than that I think I did fairly good.

Thoughts?
Attachments
[RE SP] site[FR] vs Sweethegreat[BR] - Great Plains.age3yrec
(425.57 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Great Plains
Great Plains
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: Official Patch (Legacy)
Length: 12 minutes
Lancer
Donator 01

Re: (French 2nd Lt vs Captain British) Could I get some feedback on what I could do better?

Post by site »

Having rewatched that myself I realize my 8 skirm popped out on wrong side of TC which really made the fight worse.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: (French 2nd Lt vs Captain British) Could I get some feedback on what I could do better?

Post by pecelot »

You answered yourself, right? 3 huss is cheesey and sometimes viable if you can conjoin them with a full batch and have aged with 13 CDBs, otherwise it's a no-no :!:
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Vs British standard build what should I have done?
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

First I would change your camera to very far. It allows you to see a lot more of the screen making things alot eaiser once you are used to it. Second you could have cancelled your 14th cdb and aged with 13cdb. Aging faster allows you to get your steel traps and 4 cdb faster which gives you much more res and tempo than you gain from aging with an extra vill(in this game you didn't get st or send 4 vill but ageing faster would have allowed you to get your 3 huss faster). Always age with 13cdb as french where you can without idling too much. In transition you should always get a market(if you don't already have), placer mines, a tp and gather 125 wood so you can get steel traps as soon as you hit age 2. Even when you are going for a 3 huss first cheese you should still get placer mines and steel traps(although you can skip the tp for now). That being said the 3 huss first is not a viable build as you start to get better at the game so I would recommend sending 4vill first in almost all cases. Once you hit fortress, you got your skirms but could have kited much more. He had no cav so you could have cleaned up if you had hit and run as much as possible. You then make cuirs which don't make a lot of sense at the time you make them. He has a lot of musks so you should be making goons which do better vs musks and also allow you to be safer in the event he adds in cav(quite likely since he has mass musks).
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

To be honest, I think you were in the lead even after unnecessarily losing those 8 skirmishers. However, you trained 4 cuirassiers and suicided them against his musketeers when you could have just poked with your skirmishers, killing musketeers for free and forcing him to go away. With pure musketeers he can't do anything against skirmishers, so he probably has to add hussars, against which you'd like to have dragoons - at least when you're at a military-pop disadvantage cause you spent so much resources aging up.

It's also possible he decides to age up behind you when he sees that his musketeers can't do any more damage, but then you already have a tech advantage (you killed a few settlers with your raids too, so perhaps not that behind economically either). Generally, musketeers are pretty shitty units when your opponent is in fortress age, so you actually have an army advantage here too.

British don't have skirmishers, so his army isn't as mobile as yours (longbows can't kite, so he can't walk around the map with longbows unless he's certain he's able to fight). In the case British follow you up to fortress, I think sending 1000w ASAP is a good idea. Start booming and massing, and contain him inside his base with your current army advantage. Sooner or later he'll have to push out, and that's where you take the fight in the open. He will have a large longbow mass, two falconets, and a ton of hussars (he needs a lot of hussars, because he won't be able to kite with longbows and/or falconets, so dragoons aren't that great). I think going heavy on cuir and goon is the correct thing.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty shit, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
Pay more attention to detail.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Doing goon vs musk never occurred to me, it does make sense though. Range advantage would have saved that last skirmish.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Dragoons do not have a range advantage. However, musketeers do more damage in melee mode, so that's why hand cavalry is shit against musketeers in general (although cuirassiers are an exception when in decent numbers). Also, musketeers have melee resistance.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Gendarme wrote:Dragoons do not have a range advantage. However, musketeers do more damage in melee mode, so that's why hand cavalry is shit against musketeers in general (although cuirassiers are an exception when in decent numbers). Also, musketeers have melee resistance.

Oh they don't? I thought I could kite. :hmm:

My thought process was that the cuirassiers would tank a lot of damage while putting out a lot of damage as well.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

You can still kite, because of the speed advantage. You can shoot one musketeer "out of position" and then run away. There is no need to make cuirassiers to tank musketeers. You have skirmishers.

Another thing: I think when doing a 5 hussar semi, you can do 4v > 700w and skip the 700c, and gather it manually - especially if you don't have a trading post. But you sent 3 hussars, so you'd be too slow, so in that particular situation 700c was probably the right choice, but you shouldn't have sent the 3 hussars at all.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Yeah the 3 huss first works a lot vs lower PR folks because they don't watch their settlers as well and I can get a lot of kills in.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

always get a TP if possible, otherwise reconsider your decision to go fortress! you can go aggro in age 2, just like our grand master Sam the wise (12 yo).
Sweden leaf4
Dragoon

Post by leaf4 »

hes 12?
thebritish wrote: AA>going fortress
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Pick one go to civ. Learn a standard BO. Start practicing it. Learn 1 or 2 variations. Try to beat everyone using that. Work on mechanics (watch extended units at all times, keeping vills safe and working as much as possible, picking good fights only, etc). Once you feel stagnated again, choose another strategy and once you run out of strategies, pick another civ.
I'm sure you'll improve your PR a lot by just doing this. No reason to focus too much on strategy at this moment as its less important than working on your (useful) Apm.

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

leaf4 wrote:hes 12?

yeah, ovi and ramex are also 12
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I thought ramex was 5 years older than Sam the wise.