[RE] French (Gendarme) vs German (ProjectW) on California

Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

[RE] French (Gendarme) vs German (ProjectW) on California

Post by Gendarme »

[spoiler=My thoughts]I decide that I want to go for a 15 musk semi, because whenever I do hussar semi, the German uhlan semi overwhelms me. Besides, Rapha said musk semi is the way to go.

My weakest point in general is getting raided, so against Germans I am especially paranoid, and didn't do anything at all with my musketeers, which obviously is a big mistake. However, after checking his deck and noticing mercs, and not seeing him train any uhlans, I was expecting colonial age mercs; I was surprised when he hit fortress age. But he sent minutemen to scare away my musketeers, and I killed the minutemen and some uhlan while still having half of my musketeer mass, so I don't actually think that I was behind at this point.

I sent 1000w first, because I didn't feel pressured, and I don't think I could have pressured him either with military. I don't think this was a mistake. Except for the poor positioning and shitty micro (I wasn't expecting landsknechts, so I was too shocked to react properly; I just clicked random shit), I think my mistakes were sending 2 falconets instead of 5 dragoons, and not making enough dragoons in general. Another mistake could have been building the second TC with the 1000w, because it's an incredibly expensive investment (especially with no idle time) - and instead I should have built a second barracks and stable and have no CDBs on wood to pump out as many units as possible. Perhaps I should have researched steel traps earlier, and not ignored amalgamation, but I didn't really see a good window for that (and it was probably not that big of a deal either, compared to everything else I did wrong). It's pretty hard to get early steel traps without early market imo.[/spoiler]
Share your infinite wisdom with me again, ESOC.
Attachments
[RE SP] ProjectW[GE] vs Gendarme[FR] - California.age3yrec
(451.52 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
California
California
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: Official Patch (Legacy)
Length: 15 minutes
Pay more attention to detail.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Re: [RE] French (Gendarme) vs German (ProjectW) on California

Post by P i k i l i c »

Interesting, actually I may expect the same answers as you, as I played this match up on this map not so long ago
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Landsknechts are pretty bad, don't expect your opponent to make them. Generally, a TC from 1000 wood is a bit awkward, although some time ago I argued otherwise. I was successfully proven that you need this particular resource for other investments, which you seem to realise. That said, a TC on hunts on a map like California isn't the worst of ideas, given the amount of meat there.
Scout if the German player has a stable — if so, make 10 muskets IMO, no more. Without the stable I'd say even 5 are enough, since you will be able to hold and training more delays your age-up. On top of that, they become pretty useless in the Fortress Age. I guess sometimes you could upgrade them and send two falconets, but I'm not necessarily convinced that's the best composition against ze Germans. Moreover, consider going heavy on cavalry in the third age — Germans do lack anti-cav units, so try to surprise them with an 8 cuir-pop if possible.
Steel traps improvement is a no-brainer in every game, if you can't gather 125 wood — try to collect only 25 and research it with 400 wood from the age-up.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

pecelot wrote:Moreover, consider going heavy on cavalry in the third age — Germans do lack anti-cav units, so try to surprise them with an 8 cuir-pop if possible.

I think the 9 black riders would tear apart my early cuirassiers. I don't think I can make cuirassiers too early against Germans.

But yeah, I've given it a bit of thought and realised that steel traps should actually be pretty easy to get while still getting out a full batch of musketeers since musketeers are so cheap. And my scouting was 100% useless, yes.

Although I don't think only making 10 musketeers is good for two reasons. I will have 1200 food too quickly if I go 700w before 700c, and if I send 700c first, I will hit fortress without having enough wood to do anything. I will also not be able to do anything with my musketeers other than defend against raids if I only have 10.
Pay more attention to detail.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Black Riders are basically his only hope, you should focus on them when they arrive — after that, he's left with only crappy WW. Also, like I said, you can do a surprise cuir pop after some initial fights in the fortress, not just at the beginning of it.
Generally, with a TP you should be able to send 4 CDBs, 700c and 700w and have a shipment ready when you hit fortress. If you don't have a TP, you're already doing something wrong, nevertheless you can skip then 700c and gather for the age-up yourself instead of from the crates.