User avatar
Taiwan Vinyanenya
ESOC Community Team
Donator 05
Posts: 924
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Location: California, U.S.

06 Jul 2017, 00:00

TL;DR

Butifle will advance to the finals. A new rule is being added to all future tournaments and will be enforced from the first tournament after The Warchiefs Classic. We would like to remind all players about the importance of competitive integrity and good-mannered play.

Decision made by: Vinyanenya (author), _H2O, Chrisie10101, JakeyBoyTH, Mr_Bramboy


Context

On 2017-July-04, the players Butifle (Googol on ESOC) and mongobillione (sebnan12 on ESOC) played a semifinals match of the 2017 Spring Second Chance Tournament. Over the course of the match, the players reached a score of 3-3, and played a seventh game to decide the winner of the series and who would ultimately advance to the finals of the tournament. During this game, mongobillione gained a nearly-insurmountable lead over his opponent, at the end of the game having a score of 192 to Butifle’s 103 and additionally having a military population lead of 44 to 20 and an economic population lead of 69 to 38. Despite this lead, mongobillione typed “gg congratz” and resigned.


Analysis

On review of game 7 in the semifinals series, there is no question that Butifle was in an effectively unwinnable position at the moment before the end of the game. We believe that both players were also aware that the game was in this state. Therefore, our conclusion is that mongobillione intentionally lost game 7 so that Butifle would advance to the finals.

This necessarily brings into question the legitimacy of the tournament. Among other things, a tournament serves two purposes: firstly, to be a measure of skill among a collection of players at a point in time, and secondly, to provide enjoyable content for spectators to view. All tournaments rely on the expectation that all players will play out their matches with the intention of winning; when this does not happen, both aforementioned purposes are undermined. As such, mongobillione’s actions do a disservice to his opponent, other tournament participants, the casters, the tournament organizers, and all viewers.

We do not believe that Butifle and mongobillione colluded before or during the series to arrange the winner of the match. I have spoken with Butifle since the incident, and he explained to me the reason that mongobillione decided to lose the series. Per his request, I have not shared this information with other tournament admins and will not share it here. However, I do not consider it to be sufficient rationale to justify losing the series intentionally as opposed to either forfeiting beforehand or making an honest effort to win.

There is currently no rule in tournaments prevent players from intentionally losing games or matches. This was an oversight on our part; stemming partially from the belief that no player had any reason to do so. The only rule that mongobillione is conceivably in breach of is Rule 1.2, which states:

“Every player must respect their opponent, casters and organizers. Misbehavior will result in a warning and can lead into disqualification. Racism and/or insults will not be tolerated.”

However, it is clear that the word “respect” in Rule 1.2 is intended to refer to cases of a player insulting their opponent, casters, or tournament admins, and not disrespecting them by delegitimizing the tournament. It is an unreasonable stretch of the rule’s intent to apply it here. We have thus decided that mongobillione was not in violation of tournament rules.


Decision

In deciding which player would advance to the finals, we considered four main options:

1) Advance Butifle to the finals
2) Advance mongobillione to the finals
3) Have the last game or the entire series between Butifle and mongobillione replayed
4) Disqualify mongobillione, and advance his last opponent, bwinner, to the semifinals instead. Then, have a series between Butifle and bwinner played, and advance the winner of this series to the finals

Although option (2) is reflective of the likely series result, we have no reason to believe that mongobillione will take the finals match seriously or even play it at all should he advance. Thus, neither option (2) nor option (3) are realistic. Option (4) is possible, but is difficult to move forward with because no rule was technically broken and because the players have already played through a series. Had mongobillione forfeited before the series was played or had he made a more egregious attempt to lose the match (e.g. by taking a similar lead in every game and then resigning), we would have considered this option more strongly. We therefore have decided to advance Butifle to the finals.

As we have decided that no rule has been broken, we will not be taking any action against mongobillione. However, we remark that his actions go against the spirit of competitive play and are highly disrespectful to everyone involved.

We are in the process of drafting a rule which will disallow players from intentionally losing their games in tournaments. As the TWC tournament is already underway, this rule will not apply to that tournament, but it will be enforced beginning with the next tournament held and all future tournaments thereafter.


Concluding Remarks

We would like to remind all players that the success of tournaments from both a player- and viewer-perspective is predicated on honest participation from all parties involved. Although the incident in this case is relatively minor (having taken place in a tournament with no prize pool), it is possible to see some parallels between this and match-fixing scandals in StarCraft: Brood War and StarCraft II, which had hugely detrimental effects on their respective eSports scenes. We take the matter of competitive integrity very seriously and will take measures to keep similar incidents from happening in the future.
User avatar
Korea South jj0823
Musketeer
Posts: 66
ESO: jj0823

06 Jul 2017, 00:07

I don't know what happened at all, but this was a very well written report. I felt like I was reading some official medical analysis.
User avatar
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
Posts: 404
ESO: Mameluké
Location: Gym

06 Jul 2017, 00:20

Ty for your efforts @all Admins.

The end of that game was so confusing. :D
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
User avatar
Canada Warno
Skirmisher
Donator 06
Posts: 178
ESO: Warno

06 Jul 2017, 00:32

The right move IMO.

Whether people like it or not it is his spot in the tournament, he can forfeit if he wants... he had earned that spot in the semis.

It was a little strange but the series was still incredible to watch, one of the better of this tournament for sure.
User avatar
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
Posts: 1761
ESO: Ex-Contributor
Location: New Zealand
Game: AoE Online

06 Jul 2017, 00:35

ilovesquats wrote:Ty for your efforts @all Admins.

The end of that game was so confusing. :D


To get the attention of all the admins, use the @Diarouga tag.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
User avatar
Switzerland sebnan12
Howdah
Posts: 1357
ESO: Mongobillione
Location: Switzerland

06 Jul 2017, 13:01

there we go every post on our results thread was completly unnecessary.. ty @Vinyanenya
''its is iamsucksturk'' - Kickass_op
''no you're trash you wouldnt beat me'' - Kaiserklein
"Not my fault everyone is a idiot" - Sir_Musket
"how do you say first lt in serbian" - outta_key_
User avatar
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer
Posts: 696
Location: Dietschland

06 Jul 2017, 13:44

I'd still like to be informed about the true reason #esocdrama
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
User avatar
Switzerland sebnan12
Howdah
Posts: 1357
ESO: Mongobillione
Location: Switzerland

06 Jul 2017, 13:50

dietschlander wrote:I'd still like to be informed about the true reason #esocdrama

than u can pm me
''its is iamsucksturk'' - Kickass_op
''no you're trash you wouldnt beat me'' - Kaiserklein
"Not my fault everyone is a idiot" - Sir_Musket
"how do you say first lt in serbian" - outta_key_
User avatar
Greece BrookG
Lancer
Posts: 680
ESO: BrookG
Location: Amsterdam

06 Jul 2017, 13:58

In my humble opinion, the action of fakeHazza wasn't predecided, but rather an outcome of his personal reasons. One shouldn't be strict on the situation, considering it there was no benefit either in betting or in a possible winning award, but well-explained addition and decision for the upcoming tournaments. Thanks for your work admins!

PS. Drama is the food of ESOC. #esocdrama
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"This game is dead af. Can't find games anymore. Instead its everybody discussing such useless shit here." - Somppu, June 2018
User avatar
Sweden Gendarme
Jaeger
Donator 02
Posts: 3628
ESO: Gendarme

06 Jul 2017, 14:14

Stupid demons are still feeding on fel energy when there is ESOC-drama.
Image
duck wrote:man it really sucks when you have to agree with gendarme on things
User avatar
European Union bwinner1
Dragoon
Posts: 479

06 Jul 2017, 15:05

Option 4 looks the best to me for sure !

Seriously, I think admin took the right decision and I would have taken the same decision if I was the admin.
However, I dislike the behaviour of @sebnan12 because if he had forfeited before the serie, I would have had a chance to play for the final. Instead, we had a fake match where you probably intentionnally lost every game after leading 3-1. As a result I feel that you didn't try to win the tourney and just kicked me out of it.
When you are talking with an idiot, he may be doing the same
User avatar
Switzerland sebnan12
Howdah
Posts: 1357
ESO: Mongobillione
Location: Switzerland

06 Jul 2017, 15:31

lol @bwinner i dont think butifle minds to play vs u ..im also willing to give u my semi finals spot if its such a big deal for u
''its is iamsucksturk'' - Kickass_op
''no you're trash you wouldnt beat me'' - Kaiserklein
"Not my fault everyone is a idiot" - Sir_Musket
"how do you say first lt in serbian" - outta_key_
User avatar
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
Posts: 5740

06 Jul 2017, 16:31

You don't have the authority to do that though. The admin decision has been made - let's all move on.
Always / Unique / Totally / Intelligent / Sometimes / Mysterious
No Flag umeu
Gendarme
Posts: 7840

07 Jul 2017, 09:48

bwinner1 wrote:Option 4 looks the best to me for sure !

Seriously, I think admin took the right decision and I would have taken the same decision if I was the admin.
However, I dislike the behaviour of @sebnan12 because if he had forfeited before the serie, I would have had a chance to play for the final. Instead, we had a fake match where you probably intentionnally lost every game after leading 3-1. As a result I feel that you didn't try to win the tourney and just kicked me out of it.


Tbh, this is all your fault! U shouldve just beaten sebnan after you had a 3-1 lead!!! :maniac:
Ressentiment is the single greatest source of destruction in human history.
User avatar
European Union bwinner1
Dragoon
Posts: 479

07 Jul 2017, 10:18

umeu wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:Option 4 looks the best to me for sure !

Seriously, I think admin took the right decision and I would have taken the same decision if I was the admin.
However, I dislike the behaviour of @sebnan12 because if he had forfeited before the serie, I would have had a chance to play for the final. Instead, we had a fake match where you probably intentionnally lost every game after leading 3-1. As a result I feel that you didn't try to win the tourney and just kicked me out of it.


Tbh, this is all your fault! U shouldve just beaten sebnan after you had a 3-1 lead!!! :maniac:


That's totally true ;-)
But to be fair, our series had no real meaning, because for the 1st part he was stone so I won relatively easy and for the 2nd part I wasn't at home and was passing tons of exams so the conditions were bad too and he won relativly easy too
When you are talking with an idiot, he may be doing the same

Forum Info

Return to “Tournament Information and Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest