The how does anything exist thread

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

lol 8D
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

About the discussion about whether or not colleges are useful, like with anything that does exist long enough we can ask ourselves why does it exist for so long if it's really useless as you say Dr.legend, and if colleges really were a waste of resources then again do we see direct bad consequences of that? Oh and it's very nice to see that employment rates go up (I know this could also be a bad sign).
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:That''s a poor argument. The college industry because there is a demand for it. Whether this demand is wrong or right is irrelevant. There''s a large demand for Apple products as well and they are totally useless to humanity. We do see direct bad consequences of the "everyone has to go to college" mentality. Again, I''ve discussed this topic with the Cook and I''m not going to write a long text when I can link to it.
No one is being forced to go to college though. People attend college of their own free will because they know it will help them perform better in their careers.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Post by _venox_ »

drlegend wrote:That''s a poor argument. The college industry because there is a demand for it. Whether this demand is wrong or right is irrelevant. There''s a large demand for Apple products as well and they are totally useless to humanity. We do see direct bad consequences of the "everyone has to go to college" mentality. Again, I''ve discussed this topic with the Cook and I''m not going to write a long text when I can link to it.
So because some people attending college might have a flawed mentality it means that colleges themselves are flawed, excellent deduction Sherlock. The demand for higher education is irrelevant and wrong according to you, because colleges are useless but a result of the demand. Also according to your criteria almost anything is useless to humanity. And there is no correlation that says that things with a large demand are useless. And something that exists for a long time and that hasn''t caused mass murders yet is a poor argument' you forgot to mention that the argument is as poor as the students who have to pay for their huge debt. And I''m not going to discuss with you when I can sit in my own bubble with my own beliefs, not listening to others.

I''m sorry but I got a bit irritated by your answer and your train of thought. I''m also sorry if I offend you, but using sarcasm as a tool to illustrate one''s point is better than a flat text in my opinion. Could you please elaborate a bit more on why colleges suck again?

EDIT: How come society pressures people into wearing nice cloths in the first place? You say there never has been a demand for nice clothing? And as Zoi would put it: ''the fuck has clothing to do with colleges? Just making examples that try to resemble the debate about colleges just is no argument on why colleges are useless.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Eemergerd aparcarlipseee? Im in da camp with legunddd
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Post by _venox_ »

umeu wrote:Eemergerd aparcarlipseee? Im in da camp with legunddd
English please.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dis iz unglish. I lern da read n rite in kolluge
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

frycookofdoom wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:I deserved that, I know my post was a little uncalled for but I feel like you need to hear it ') Anyway I never studied philosophy and wouldnt, this is a subject you can study on your own by simply reading the right books and I never felt a need to.

Can you name a subject that cant be studied simply by reading the right books?
AOE3
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Obviously u need to take apprentisship with garja @25,000 per semester to learn aoe3
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Sorry i downt wanzu bai sausuge. Trai nex korna plz

(Facepalmu)

1) wrong assumptions as usual, its funny you make stuff up out of thin air and call it facts. You mustve had a great no-ducation. (Facepalmu)

2) my comment was sarcastic, and not aimed at you, because i agree with you on the demand/pressure part. (Facepalmu)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Your google-fu to find pointless anecdotal statistics or vids to confirm your bias is unprecedented. Where did you get your degree for that? I must go to that uni, please tell me its the same uni were you followed "how to turn unfounded assumptions into facts 101"
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:No one is being forced to go to college though. People attend college of their own free will because they know it will help them perform better in their careers.
Noone gets forced to buy nice clothes either. There is pressure from the society people live in (media, government, academia/highschool) and in most cases from a persons family and friends as well.

But our job as armchair policy makers isnt to question peoples choice of what makes them happy. If people are happier promoting cultural mores and gaining societys approval then so be it.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

The wisdom he occasionally utters throws me off at times.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:Nobody is happy trying to gain other people''s approval while being personally miserable.

Even so, you can''t change human nature.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Dr. Legend's salary post shows that a college education does tend to pay off. This doesn't mean that one will necessarily have to get a 4-year Bachelors but you will usually have to obtain at least an Associate. Electrician, Network Technician, Electronics Technician, Fisheries Technician, Automotive Technician are all good jobs that can be had with an AAS degree.

I worked and taught in the areas of Field Biology so this is what I'm most familiar with. With no degree (though the hires are usually in school working towards one) you can get a minimum wage assistant's job performing things like water sampling, tag removal, fish counts, etc. With an AAS you will make around $25,000 doing things like stream habitat assessment or working as a hatchery technician. The latter job usually gives the benefits of free housing though. Obtain a BS and you can move up to a managerial position at a hatchery or work as a field or lab technician. With a Masters you can find administrative work at the federal level as a project manager or teach in AAS and Bachelors programs. A PhD usually is needed for a governmental department head or a professor in a graduate program. A Masters will get you about $50,000-$60,000 as a full-time professor or natural resources manager. This isn't as much as other jobs but you usually are doing something you really like.

Of course, you can also be overqualified and underpaid. I have three degrees in biology, two in allied health, one in electronics and most of another in philosophy plus fifty or so hours in ancillary fields such as geology, paleontology and history. As an adjunct professor teaching exactly one credit shy of a full load I was making about $10,000 a year. Universities know that there are lots of people with graduate degrees out there looking for jobs and really take advantage of this situation. Half of the courses taught in the US are taught by adjunct facility who are being paid a fifth of what they should be.

adjuncts now make up the largest chunk of the university-level teaching force in America... Although they are critically important to the country??s educational system, adjuncts are widely treated as disposable employees who aren??t entitled to basic job protections or support. They are ??the underclass of the academic world,
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/04/29/adjunct-professors-boston/2/
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

We were talking bout da reel wurld not dis akadimia wurld wer u only try to suk professor cok to be luvved. Yanoo in da real wurld we hire only men... Reel men who do reel mens job that are neccessary for the reel world to spin. No company like dat needs a uppity phd with 15 useless degrees... Plz show me a utube vid that proves the importans of biologeee in da reel wurld
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

this stuff is going for 11 pages now.. :O
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

An action committed in anger is an action doomed to failure.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

frycookofdoom wrote:An action committed in anger is an action doomed to failure.
seems u like my signature? trying to take this to pg 12 are u?
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

yee men u kno it
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

umeu wrote:We were talking bout da reel wurld not dis akadimia wurld wer u only try to suk professor cok to be luvved. Yanoo in da real wurld we hire only men... Reel men who do reel mens job that are neccessary for the reel world to spin. No company like dat needs a uppity phd with 15 useless degrees... Plz show me a utube vid that proves the importans of biologeee in da reel wurld
^This.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

oxaloacetate wrote:
umeu wrote:We were talking bout da reel wurld not dis akadimia wurld wer u only try to suk professor cok to be luvved. Yanoo in da real wurld we hire only men... Reel men who do reel mens job that are neccessary for the reel world to spin. No company like dat needs a uppity phd with 15 useless degrees... Plz show me a utube vid that proves the importans of biologeee in da reel wurld
^This.
+1

even with proper degrees, the amount one learns "on the job" is WAAAY more effective rather than the theoretical stuff.....
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Why hire someone with a university degree when you can hire someone who dropped out of high school?