Happy 4-20

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Re: Happy 4-20

Post by WickedCossack »

I'd rather most of these drugs (alcohol particularly) are banned with the exception of medical usage.

People have proven time and time again they are not responsible enough.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

WickedCossack wrote:I'd rather most of these drugs (alcohol particularly) are banned with the exception of medical usage.

People have also proven time and time again they can get drugs even while they're illegal.
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Jerom wrote:
WickedCossack wrote:I'd rather most of these drugs (alcohol particularly) are banned with the exception of medical usage.

People have also proven time and time again they can get drugs even while they're illegal.

Anyone can still conduct a crime even if it's illegal. That's not really a reason to make it legal though ...
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

WickedCossack wrote:
Jerom wrote:

Anyone can still conduct a crime even if it's illegal. That's not really a reason to make it legal though ...

Except if it essentially makes no difference in terms of usage, right?
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Jerom wrote:
WickedCossack wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Except if it essentially makes no difference in terms of usage, right?

I don't think that matters at all.

Take an example of murder by drink driving. You could argue that the same number of innocents might get killed whether drink driving is legal or not. Obviously this should still be illegal.

Having said that I'm also not at all convinced that legality doesn't have an effect on usage.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

WickedCossack wrote:
Jerom wrote:

lol - banning everything you dont like?? Go back to the good ol prohibition days?? Make some research how that turned out!

PLEASE take a look: https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 1WdJylZWvQ

Prohibition was a DISASTER of super magnitude that USA still struggling with :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

iwillspankyou wrote:
WickedCossack wrote:
Show hidden quotes

lol - banning everything you dont like?? Go back to the good ol prohibition days?? Make some research how that turned out!

PLEASE take a look: https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 1WdJylZWvQ

I said I'd rather have them banned. I admit that might not be feasible right now, but I think in a number of years it might be.

The "bad effects" of prohibition, linked in your article, are 99% down to the fact that a lot of people suck as human beings, e.g disrespect, corruption, crime.

It's annoying to not be able to do things because of shitty people.

Then again if everyone was responsible there wouldn't be a need to ban it in the first place I suppose ...
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

yeah - ppl are wicked - for sure @wickedcossack :huh:
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Yep wickedcossack, it's best weed is banned just so there's less folks on the road driving high
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon
ESO: CelticCrusader

Post by CelticCrusader »

I find society strange as there are so many people who hate cannabis. People do not get killed by smoking weed, where alcohol kills so many people each year. But that's OK to most . Cannabis is a plant which has so many benefits. But that's why its illegal to cultivate it.

If the governments actually wanted to reduce crime, then they would make it legal to cultivate at home for personal use, thus removing criminal elements related to its production.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

its sad how fearful people are of the plant. That has no valid arguable point to cause so much discrimination and trauma to smokers.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

But seriously, the only problem I have with weedwhackers is that they smoke in public areas, where the stench lingers. We should get public drug rooms where people can pick their poison. Let me affirm this request: smokers all over, don't blow gases at my face.
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

granted I agree it should be done discretely and in certain places much like smoking cigarettes has become to be considerate of all.... it perhaps is that there are not designated areas that smokers are accustomed to hiding in plain sight.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It all comes back to the concept of protecting people against themselves. I think this is something we're going to move farther away from rather than towards. It's a concept we'll slowly but surely let go of as we get so prosperous and bored that drugs are one of the few things that can make us happy even if only for a short while. The risks are the user's, although I do think behaviour that puts others at risk may be more severely punished in the future.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

In the case of Alcohol I think it doesnt really ruin or negatively affect a lot of lifes. As long as you dont get addicted and either party drink or just drink to enjoy then its fine.

So then banning it for the few that get addicted seems sad for the rest, right?
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Goodspeed wrote:

It all comes back to the concept of protecting people against themselves. I think this is something we're going to move farther away from rather than towards. It's a concept we'll slowly but surely let go of as we get so prosperous and bored that drugs are one of the few things that can make us happy even if only for a short while. The risks are the user's, although I do think behaviour that puts others at risk may be more severely punished in the future.

Jerom wrote:In the case of Alcohol I think it doesn't really ruin or negatively affect a lot of lives. As long as you don't get addicted and either party drink or just drink to enjoy then its fine.

So then banning it for the few that get addicted seems sad for the rest, right?

If the risks are the users alone then I'm not particularly interested unless it is an addiction.

At the moment it's clearly not the case though. It's about a hundred thousand killed by drink driving each year, add to that other effects alcohol and drugs have on families.

There's also the added burden on the health system (very noticeable in the UK) where you have only limited resources. Treating those people who have harmed themselves by being irresponsible has a huge negative effect on the treatment of others so the risks are always spread. Consider also the extreme financial costs that everyone has to pay these individuals who believe the risk is theirs alone. Any health service could be greatly improved if there was not a need to help so many pointless human induced health issues.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Drunk driving won't be a thing for long, besides alcohol itself is not accountable here it's the user who made the conscious choice to get behind the wheel while impaired. Punishing the driver is the answer, not banning the substance they took. Speaking of the driver's punishment, I'm surprised it's still this mild. Imo anyone who drives drunk should face jail time or at the very least not be allowed to drive ever again.

Anyway if we ignore the very valid point iwillspankyou brought up then yes, it would save money but this is at the expense of liberty. As humanity gains wealth, liberty will be increasingly favoured over financial cost.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Goodspeed wrote:Drunk driving won't be a thing for long, besides alcohol itself is not accountable here it's the user who made the conscious choice to get behind the wheel while impaired. Punishing the driver is the answer, not banning the substance they took. Speaking of the driver's punishment, I'm surprised it's still this mild. Imo anyone who drives drunk should face jail time or at the very least not be allowed to drive ever again.

Anyway if we ignore the very valid point iwillspankyou brought up then yes, it would save money but this is at the expense of liberty. As humanity gains wealth, liberty will be increasingly favoured over financial cost.

Drunk driving and driving while under the influence of marijuana are major problems
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Where did I deny that?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Im from Norway (as many of you know by now) and the punishment for drinking and driving is pretty hard. 3 weeks in jail and fines that is measured according to your income. And it will stick to you forever. There are a lot of controls 2. The limit is 0,2 (less than one pint of beer). If you drive to fast, or should harm anybody while under the influence of alcohol or any other substance - you would face real prison-time. But that is not the issue here.
Btw Norway is far behind in the debate of legalization on any form of narcotics - very sad.
I personally have never smoked a joint (but I would like 2) cos I dont hang around criminals. From what I have learned thus far - weed is a harmless drug - much more harmless than alcohol. That is why I would like it to be legal and under control of government - for safety issues and to undermine criminals. After all the weed and the hashish is the core of criminal income of drugs.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

you don't need to hang around criminals to smoke weed, go outside hang around normal ppl and you should be able to smoke. and you're girl, you won't even have to pay for it
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

benj89 wrote:you don't need to hang around criminals to smoke weed, go outside hang around normal ppl and you should be able to smoke. and you're girl, you won't even have to pay for it

Anyone who lights up a joint is a criminal by definition
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
benj89 wrote:you don't need to hang around criminals to smoke weed, go outside hang around normal ppl and you should be able to smoke. and you're girl, you won't even have to pay for it

I won't bother looking at your state laws, but there is a world outside pennsylvania and your basement :).
in many states/countries, weed possession up to a certain limit is considered as a civil infraction, such as traffic speed. However, I'm sure you once drove 20 mph over the limit considered as reckless driving which is a misdemeanor, and that makes you a criminal :?
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
United States of America HeatitUP_
Lancer

Post by HeatitUP_ »

benj89 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

I won't bother looking at your state laws, but there is a world outside pennsylvania and your basement :).
in many states/countries, weed possession up to a certain limit is considered as a civil infraction, such as traffic speed. However, I'm sure you once drove 20 mph over the limit considered as reckless driving which is a misdemeanor, and that makes you a criminal :?

He's talking about the federal level which trumps state law.
All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected. - Donald Trump
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

HeatitUP_ wrote:
benj89 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

He's talking about the federal level which trumps state law.
This may come as news to you, but there's a world outside the US too. As it happens US federal law doesn't apply to people in Norway.