Learning English

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Learning English

Post by momuuu »

Papist wrote:English is a stupid language with a ton of retarded spelling and grammar rules. I am thankful that it is my mother tongue; I can't imagine trying to learn it as a second language.

Compared to Dutch English is extremely consistent in almost every aspect of the language lol. There's so many irregular and retarded things in Dutch lol, English has a few irregular verbs and a spelling that can be weird some times, but it's basically a dumbified version of dutch lol.

Regarding the speaking: Weirdly enough I find that trying to imitate Gibson's voice improves my pronunciation.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Papist wrote:
Mimsy for President wrote:
Papist wrote:English is a stupid language with a ton of retarded spelling and grammar rules. I am thankful that it is my mother tongue; I can't imagine trying to learn it as a second language.
English is super ez in comparison to other languages.

It's widely considered one of the hardest. I know it's not the worst, but it can't be fun to try to learn. Personally, I think we should all learn Esperanto.

Ever heard of... Polish? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
It can be a lot of fun to learn, actually. Personally I would value more speaking German, but I lost the motivation for it and didn't really improve apart from the basics. I'm at I'd say A2/B1 level.

What about other languages? What are the most popular ones in your countries to learn? Is it always German and let's say French or Spanish?
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

daooof wrote:
BrookG wrote:I've always had this question. Don't you somehow learn Spanish? There so many spanish-speaking neighbour coutries!

I lived in the US for awhile as well and Spanish was the natural choice of a language to learn there... pretty easy to find people to speak with and if I'm in the U.S. I can use it every day really

Aside from maybe NYC(where pretty much every language is spoke ) the only language spoken in the US other than English is Spanish, which is normally only spoken in the southwest.
At my high school we have Spanish, French, German and Chinese, but few students become proficient in their language simply because the only place to speak it is in class

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

I think in France (Latin and Greek excluded) English is #1, Spanish #2, Italian #3, German #4. Either Russian, Arabic or Hebrew Mandarin (Chinese) #5.

edit : my bad, German is probably #3 and Italian #4 but where I live, Italian is #3 because it's close to the Garjian border.
Austria Permanschlager
Musketeer
ESO: Permanschlager

Post by Permanschlager »

I am from Austria .... in Austria the english @ School is pretty okay imo.

but if u r a bit lazy at School like me ... so u got a big Problem .... :/

i am out of School for 4 years ... not speaking english at work though .
So i have to Play TAD and skype a lot to improve my english :-D

so if you guys have any questions, ask in german language ;))
- I swear to drunk,

I'm not god! -
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

tfw not tagged.

For some reason my English is excellent. I honestly have no idea why, I just find the language easy. Due to this, I'm having my English exams next year instead of in two years because I'm already ready for it. A few months ago I took a test to determine my general reading/writing skills to prepare for these early exams and the results showed I'm in the "middle part" of C2, which means my language is not perfect and contains minor mistakes.

I don't think school is that influential. Your determination and effort is much more important if you're really trying to learn a language. (most of) The French are an example of this. During my holidays in France I can confirm the "french hate english" stereotype is 100% correct.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

Agreed.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

iNcog wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:tfw not tagged.

For some reason my English is excellent. I honestly have no idea why, I just find the language easy. Due to this, I'm having my English exams next year instead of in two years because I'm already ready for it. A few months ago I took a test to determine my general reading/writing skills to prepare for these early exams and the results showed I'm in the "middle part" of C2, which means my language is not perfect and contains minor mistakes.

I don't think school is that influential. Your determination and effort is much more important if you're really trying to learn a language. (most of) The French are an example of this. During my holidays in France I can confirm the "french hate english" stereotype is 100% correct.

right

don't shoot the messenger :(
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Yeah, well, forgot about you as well :D
Though Herom is a bad player, I suppose.
Nonetheless, you're like 15 as far as I remember, so I'm really impressed. Did you spend much time watching English TV/videos, reading, speaking or just communicating in English via Internet?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

pecelot wrote:

Yeah, well, forgot about you as well :D
Though Herom is a bad player, I suppose.
Nonetheless, you're like 15 as far as I remember, so I'm really impressed. Did you spend much time watching English TV/videos, reading, speaking or just communicating in English via Internet?

I'm 16 (and 4 months) now. I don't think I specifically spent a lot of time searching for English stuff. The movies, series, and of course youtube generally tends to be English in the Netherlands. Only the movie for small children get voiced over by Dutch speakers, but movies above targeted at +8 years olds tend to be English spoken with Dutch subtitles. Casting aoe3 is also a great way to improve your English so I recommend that :D

Also I think I had too few characters to put an a in there, or I intentionally didn't put it there for the additional effect.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

It seems like a very nice way to improve English for all the Dutchies. Nice!
Oh, sorry then xD
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

pecelot wrote:Ever heard of... Polish? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Polish, Finnish, Hungarian simply OP
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz
Szedł Sasza suchą szosą — w czasie suszy szosa sucha
Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami
try to pronounce that xD even my name: Przemysław Gradek
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

pecelot wrote:Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz

Οk, name seems easier
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

I can Vouch for Bramboy. He is the only person I've met whose English is actually better than mine. He is a true child prodigy – to the English language what Seitz is to programming.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

pecelot wrote:Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz

As a Czech, the Polish language seems like it has very similar words, albeit with a few garbled characters and double the consonants for some reason :biggrin:
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:The movies, series, and of course youtube generally tends to be English in the Netherlands. Only the movie for small children get voiced over by Dutch speakers, but movies above targeted at +8 years olds tend to be English spoken with Dutch subtitles.

There you have it, that's the complete opposite of the Czech Republic. Everything here is voiced over by Czech speakers. You just don't ever encounter English in the wild, unless you specifically seek it.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

:ohmy:
zoom wrote:I can Vouch for Bramboy. He is the only person I've met whose English is actually better than mine. He is a true child prodigy – to the English language what Seitz is to programming.

Yet, if test results are worth anything, my English is apperantly supposed to be better haha. How did your english get so good though?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Jerom wrote::ohmy:
zoom wrote:I can Vouch for Bramboy. He is the only person I've met whose English is actually better than mine. He is a true child prodigy – to the English language what Seitz is to programming.

Yet, if test results are worth anything, my English is apperantly supposed to be better haha. How did your english get so good though?

Apparently English, supposedly...

Did Bramboy take any test you could compare with?

Also, I was joking – I have met plenty of people whose English is better than mine. I don't think I'm all that great, although I am interested in language in general and English in particular. I think that helps a lot in addition to just learning by doing.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

I'm just too lazy to make an official test :(
Hate my life. AoE3 too stronk
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

zoom wrote:
Jerom wrote::ohmy:

Apparently English, supposedly...

Did Bramboy take any test you could compare with?

Also, I was joking – I have met plenty of people whose English is better than mine. I don't think I'm all that great, although I am interested in language in general and English in particular. I think that helps a lot in addition to just learning by doing.

I think he said he was middle of the pack in C2. I did that same test (but official) 4 years ago I believe, when I was bram's age, and scored top of the pack of C2 (being a super tiny amount short of a C1 certificate).
Bram's English is pretty good for his age though. My school had great English classes so half of the students basically did their exam a year earlier. We had English classes aimed at reaching the C2/C1 level so they basically skipped the vocabulary stuff and the grammar stuff and taught you the language by reading, speaking, listening a lot and doing this thing where you had to fill in a gapped text to learn collocations and stuff. It was a pretty efficient way to force the feeling for a language upon you in an accelerated manner. Wasn't as great as the insane amounts of English I've read, written and heard but it certainly did help more than regular English classes.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

So I passed my CAE exam, being only 1 point short from C2 level, which honestly pissed me off, but I was more worried about actually passing it, as I had to pay some money for that!
Anyways, I was lazy enough not to prepare almost at all. I did some exercises and mock sheets a while ago, but I mostly learned on ESOC writing longer and longer posts. It helped me dramatically, as it's just a place where English is the official language and you have to communicate well and very often with native speakers and foreigners with advanced language skills. Eventually, my score is really high, and I think it's due to my activity on ESOC. Thanks for being here, guys!
Frankly, learning English in such a way is quite an exciting route, as you may exchange more and more advanced thoughts on more and more topic every day. Again, I'm gonna celebrate by launching AoE3 for the first time in 2 weeks!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Congratz, I believe I was really close to C2 aswell (CPE that is right) when I did the test long ago. Dont really mind it as much now though.