Learning English

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: Learning English

Post by pecelot »

Jerom wrote:I passed my CAE exam in 2012 I believe, being 0.2 points short of a CPE degree. I'm probably at CPE level right now with relative ease.

Posting lots on forums like agecomm was extremely beneficial for my english, aswell as spending many hours listening to english youtubers. Those enabled me to get my english close to native level I believe. The only aspect Im lacking in is speaking, since I practice that relatively infrequently. Something to improve on in the future.

this so much XD
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Congrats on passing the CAE! I once wanted to take the CAP, but eventually I balked at the idea of paying for an English cert.

I took my degree in English, I mean we studied our subject matter in English only. And before that I had already accumulated extensive knowledge of English (especially vocabulary), though my sentence structure wasn't quite as good as that of a native speaker.

Eventually, I worked in an international institution for a few years, where we had to write law amendments and reports. Our working languages were English, French and German. So I was mostly working in English, but I could manage using French too, and German, to a small extent.

During the last years, I've been mostly using English every day, so eventually my mind switched to English as my primary language. As a result, sometimes I struggle to speak my native language or to remember some idioms from Romanian. Now I also mostly think in English, so there's that.

I still have moments when I'm mentally lazy and I write in a broken English, using cobbled together sentences and stuff like that. But when I manage to focus I think I can get close to native level. Though, obviously, I'm not living in an English-speaking country, so my speaking skills are a bit disconnected from my reading/writing skills. I need to spend a few years in an English-speaking country to get verbal fluency too, as well as an accent closer to the native one.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Thanks! That's a nice story certainly, I've been impressed by your English skills ever since you joined!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

My biggest problem in english is still and will probably always be the spelling. But to be quite honest, my spelling in Dutch is lightyears behind the rest of my skills in the language or just skills on almost all subjects. I've spend years trying to improve the spelling and trying to remember as many things as I can, trying to be extremely careful when writing essays and stuff, but till this day my essays, even when I proofread them multiple times, end up having a small collection of spelling errors. I think it's about two per page, and more like five per page in english.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

You guys are just not gifted. :hmm:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

If you want to learn English Goodspeed is – unsurprisingly – your man.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

pecelot wrote:Thanks! That's a nice story certainly, I've been impressed by your English skills ever since you joined!

Thanks. I worked a lot for that, over the years.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

iNcog wrote:My university also offers that Tofel thing for like €50 but I'm not paying money to certify that I can speak English fluently.

For me the biggest advantage of having such a certificate is that you can put it in your CV and don't have to prove otherwise that you know English pretty well, as it's commonly respected.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Yeah it actually doesnt look bad on your CV at all.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

fair enough :O
Jaeger

I had created a thread about TOEIC/TOEFL tests a year ago (viewtopic.php?t=561) and as benj89 told me, it was actually ez. I hit 975 out of 990 (TOEIC). It's supposed to be C2 level, but I'm not sure it's representative of my real level in English.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Im still annoyed with my countless spelling errors but today I had a test about history of science where I had to write lots of long answers. That fortunately made me aware that I cant spell shit in dutch either.

In that case my english skill is relatively better than I thought.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

iNcog wrote:I got 990 in a practice run we did in class

ghehe <- bragging emote
I got 472 and I'm proud like a cock!
Jaeger

zoom wrote:
iNcog wrote:I got 990 in a practice run we did in class

ghehe <- bragging emote
I got 472 and I'm proud like a cock!
Nah.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Ok, rooster then?
Jaeger

zoom wrote:Ok, rooster then?
No, I mean the score.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote: