Learning English

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Learning English

Post by Goodspeed »

For me it's the internet, multiplayer games and TV shows/movies. Most of my free time went to online gaming from early on in life (11-12 years old), and communication there is always in English. If you start learning a language (or anything, for that matter) that early it'll come easy. At this point my Dutch is possibly worse than my English. Irl I often end up trying to translate stuff from Eng to Dutch mid-sentence, it's actually annoying as fuck
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I don't want to say my Dutch is worse than my English personally. I've always been pretty diligent about perfecting my dutch. One of the problems my English faces is that I don't quite know the words for many of these everyday things. Foods for example, or kitchen tools. Stuff like that.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

True I have the same problem
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

iNcog wrote:
so you're route has been pretty similar to mine

*your

omg aint no way I made that stupid mistake xD so awkward
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

English is a stupid language with a ton of retarded spelling and grammar rules. I am thankful that it is my mother tongue; I can't imagine trying to learn it as a second language.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

Papist wrote:English is a stupid language with a ton of retarded spelling and grammar rules. I am thankful that it is my mother tongue; I can't imagine trying to learn it as a second language.
English is super ez in comparison to other languages.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Mimsy for President wrote:
Papist wrote:English is a stupid language with a ton of retarded spelling and grammar rules. I am thankful that it is my mother tongue; I can't imagine trying to learn it as a second language.
English is super ez in comparison to other languages.

It's widely considered one of the hardest. I know it's not the worst, but it can't be fun to try to learn. Personally, I think we should all learn Esperanto.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Lol what english is easy as fuck, try to learn french or german
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

I find English far easier to learn than German too ! Only pronunciation is easier in German than in English imo.
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Basic English is soooooooo easy lol.
The first, let's say four years of english class for foreigners is basically vocabulary and tenses. Not really any exceptions like you have in French/Dutch/etc (hate you); you don't need to form new words for personal pronouns and the list goes on.
At some point you start thinking about the hardest part of the English language: words and especially verbs. How many of the fuckers can you have? At the moment I really feel my english sucks 'cause I kinda want to form better sentences but don't have the "better" words to make it an good sentence.

After three years of english classes I came across Veni's channel. For that that it was the first time listening to an actual english commentary (classes were 70% German, just like now ) it was rather easy, I'd say.
This was the most important step, I think. Ty Veni <3
My english really became better than anyone's english in my class when I was ordered to write an essay about a book. Since I was free to choose what to read, I bought Moby Dick, - a book I actually wanted to read in German at this time - not knowing how fucking old and long it was. Even my english teacher said, that she was unable to read the book (though she/ I lost our motivation quite fast because it's fucking boring, which was her reason to actually stop reading it).
Now I still have the same problem as Jerom: I cannot talk english.Classes are mostly in German, no one talks english if you are a student, and I haven't had the option to go England or so yet. Only thing I can do is post some shit on an AoE3 forum with abandoned game servers.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Post by yemshi »

P i k i l i c wrote:I find English far easier to learn than German too ! Only pronunciation is easier in German than in English imo.

When I hear foreigners talking German I usually really want to put my music on :/
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Post by yemshi »

Kaiserklein wrote:Lol what english is easy as fuck, try to learn french or german

No rule without an exception, right?
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

This is a really interesting thread for me. im a native english speaker but reading about how you guys learned english is really interesting. tbh, your english is a lot better than lots of natives who post online. Im currently taking German classes (have been for 3 years) but its hard for me to improve because nobody speaks anything other than english here in the states

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

yemshi wrote:
P i k i l i c wrote:I find English far easier to learn than German too ! Only pronunciation is easier in German than in English imo.

When I hear foreigners talking German I usually really want to put my music on :/

Haha :mrgreen: however I still find english pronunciation harder but maybe not for other people
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Post by yemshi »

You get used to it; but most of my classmated have a rather clear english pronounciation.
Okay, there's always someone like Erik, but still... d:)-
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Jerom wrote:Posting lots on forums like agecomm was extremely beneficial for my english, aswell as spending many hours listening to english youtubers. Those enabled me to get my english close to native level I believe. The only aspect Im lacking in is speaking, since I practice that relatively infrequently. Something to improve on in the future.

Same for me, I write in English every single day, watch English videos on YouTube, read English texts... But actually speaking for me is quite exhausting cause I'm trying really hard to not have a German accent at all, since every single time I'm hearing that accent makes me fucking cringe.
Too bad I didn't have any speaking practice since I'm out of school (like 2 years now) but I don't need the language to be honest, unless some Asian tourists are asking you where the railway station is.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Lukas_L99 wrote:
Jerom wrote:Posting lots on forums like agecomm was extremely beneficial for my english, aswell as spending many hours listening to english youtubers. Those enabled me to get my english close to native level I believe. The only aspect Im lacking in is speaking, since I practice that relatively infrequently. Something to improve on in the future.

Same for me, I write in English every single day, watch English videos on YouTube, read English texts... But actually speaking for me is quite exhausting cause I'm trying really hard to not have a German accent at all, since every single time I'm hearing that accent makes me fucking cringe.
Too bad I didn't have any speaking practice since I'm out of school (like 2 years now) but I don't need the language to be honest, unless some Asian tourists are asking you where the railway station is.
don't worry about your accent. Chances are it sounds better when you're not trying to change it. American Bitches love guys with accents too xD
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Amercian bitches love the british accent
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

english ist very haard language but I is sure that you'll will learn that very quickly and become the good speaker : )
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

iNcog wrote:Yeah I would not rate English as a difficult language, not compared to German for example which is a lot harder, imo.

I got like 5/20 in my German SATs, lol. Then again, I got 6/20 in my French SATs. fuck's sake, lol

I heard Spanish is easy to learn.

Spanish has quite simple grammar to begin with and due to latin origins it is very close with French, so np for you.

sdsanft wrote:This is a really interesting thread for me. im a native english speaker but reading about how you guys learned english is really interesting. tbh, your english is a lot better than lots of natives who post online. Im currently taking German classes (have been for 3 years) but its hard for me to improve because nobody speaks anything other than english here in the states

I've always had this question. Don't you somehow learn Spanish? There so many spanish-speaking neighbour coutries!
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Hazza54321 wrote:Amercian bitches love the british accent
And the hairy wood
No Flag daooof
Musketeer

Post by daooof »

Hazza54321 wrote:Amercian bitches love the british accent

But they prefer the South African one.

Interesting topic, I almost feel annoyed being born a native English speaker, since I'm not as forced as many of you are to learn your second (or third language). I've learned Spanish, some French, and have been teaching myself German lately and it's so easy to lose focus in studying it since you can go weeks without even seeing it.
No Flag daooof
Musketeer

Post by daooof »

BrookG wrote:I've always had this question. Don't you somehow learn Spanish? There so many spanish-speaking neighbour coutries!

I lived in the US for awhile as well and Spanish was the natural choice of a language to learn there... pretty easy to find people to speak with and if I'm in the U.S. I can use it every day really