Communism sucks and free market is the way to go

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Communism sucks and free market is the way to go

Post by Goodspeed »

Jerom wrote:I fear the next economical crisis might be even worse and that might actually spell the end of capitalism.

To be honest, most governments have some in between nowadays. Its not full free market but there is some of it.
The reality is somewhere in between because governments have been implementing more and more regulations to combat the bad effects of our capitalistic system, but the system is still very much in place and there is still widespread belief that the concept of the free market is sound, as illustrated by this thread. Progress will happen when humanity collectively realises the system is broken at the core, and not fixable by another couple of added rules. Automation, I think, is going to be the gateway to this realisation. As for the next economic crisis, it will be interesting to see what triggers it.

For those who haven't, watch The Big Short.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The big short is awesome haha. Although I might have liked it in a typical case of confirmation bias.

At any rate, I'm going to figure out how to short Greece.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Jerom wrote:The big short is awesome haha. Although I might have liked it in a typical case of confirmation bias.
What makes you say that?
Jerom wrote:At any rate, I'm going to figure out how to short Greece.
Easy enough, if you're over 18. Too late though.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed wrote:
Jerom wrote:The big short is awesome haha. Although I might have liked it in a typical case of confirmation bias.
What makes you say that?

Well that the movie reinforced the believes I had going into the movie.
Goodspeed wrote:

I mean, for the next rip greece.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Dolan wrote:2008 was the official date of its demise. Just like 1989 for communism.

1929 was probably worse than 2008 yet Capitalism is still there
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Jerom wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
What makes you say that?
Then you were right, the film is historically pretty accurate.
Goodspeed wrote:

How do you know that's coming?
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Goodspeed wrote:
Jerom wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Then you were right, the film is historically pretty accurate.
Show hidden quotes

How do you know that's coming?

Like every person who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, he thinks it's easy to predict financial events.
Top quality poster.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Nobody in economics has a clue what theyre talking about, thats why economic science is such a hilarious oxymoron.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

lordraphael wrote:
Dolan wrote:2008 was the official date of its demise. Just like 1989 for communism.

1929 was probably worse than 2008 yet Capitalism is still there

Yes, it's important you bring this point into this discussion. Because the US administration and the Fed didn't really manage to re-boot the economy after the Great Depression. Only war mobilisation managed to bring the US economy back into growth territory. All policies used by economists failed to actually bring the economy back to its usual cycle of growth. After the war, the whole Western economy witnessed a huge demographic boom, on the heels of a general sense of optimism -- the war was over, the world had been largely pacified (well at least in the West). This sense of optimism translated into more material consumption, construction, investment. There was a lot to reconstruct too, especially in Germany and a few other European countries defaced by the war.

Capitalism has always had these flaws. Before 1929 there have been 47 recessions and a number of depressions only in the USA: the panic of 1797, the depressions from 1807, 1815-1821, the panics of 1837, 1857, 1873, 1893, 1907, the post-WW1 depression of 1920-21 (highest levels of deflation ever, 18%, high unemployment), then came the Great Depression, the mid 70s oil crisis combined with stagflation and high unemployment, the early 80s recession which also registered high unemployment (remember the bleak Detroit techno music? it was the product of that atmosphere). So, as you can see there is a consistent pattern of turbulence in the way capitalism works. Cycles of low growth, high unemployment and asset deflation seem to come about very frequently from time to time. Doesn't that make you wonder if it's a systemic flaw or just a fluke?

Anyway, the point still remains that a public institution (US govt) used public money to save private institutions from collapse, simply because they took high-risk financial bets. So when they screw up with their investments, the state jumps in and saves them, when they win, they keep the profits. Does the state do that for you? How is that a free market system?

Shouldn't the losers of a financial bet simply pay for their bad investments and go bankrupt? That's what should happen in a free market. That's not what happened. They were saved with public money, because they were "too big too fail". It was in every one's interest that their bilion dollar businesses were saved, and that includes the big bonuses of the Wall Street moguls. They get to have their businesses saved with public money, other ordinary people go bankrupt on an individual basis and the state doesn't save them using public money.

Not to mention that these big financial institutions have been getting bilions of dollars in cheap credit from the Fed, but this didn't trickle down to job creation in the real economy. Why? Because they just used the money to invest in stocks, bonds, paper assets, and so increase their profits. The Fed has a dual mandate: price stability and employment rate. How did the Fed's policies of cheap credit fulfil their mandate? For whom did these policies actually work?

And what's going to happen now that the Fed will start raising its short-term interest rates in the next period? Where do you think growth will come from?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan brings up great points. Frankly it amazes me that people still believe in the free market after what happened in 2008, that there is still this sentiment that if you leave the market alone it sorts itself out. Is it a lack of understanding about what happened? Perhaps the misguided belief that something like this wouldn't happen again? The illusion that people are capable of doing the right thing and owning up to their mistakes when there are millions of $ on the line? I don't know any more at this point, it's discouraging.

Seriously, watch The Big Short guys. I wasn't kidding. It's highly entertaining as well as informative.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well heavy fluctuation like that is inherent to the system. When things go well, they go better. When things dont go too well, it gets worse. Its an unstable equilibrium, which shows a slightly irregular oscillation between recession and great periods. I personally really like to compare it to el nino/la nina cycles. They're hard to predict precisely, but we know at some point its going to happen.

What kinda confuses me is that the system does not seem to be adapting to it. Surely we must be able to find ways to counteract these oscillations when they start happening.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Capitalism was fine when you could only kinda deal in real stuff, but people started dealing in imaginary stuff, which when it turned out it wasnt real shocked many people, cause a scare and loss of faith, which led to the belief the stuff was there before but not anymore = stuff was lost. = billions of dollars gone, while not a single grain of sand moved places

Oh and billions of dollars are moving off the market cuz of illegal blackmarket business in drugs prostitution and weapons. Since its not truly a free market, they cant really deal with the huge amounts of money lost that way...
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Goodspeed wrote:Dolan brings up great points. Frankly it amazes me that people still believe in the free market after what happened in 2008, that there is still this sentiment that if you leave the market alone it sorts itself out. Is it a lack of understanding about what happened? Perhaps the misguided belief that something like this wouldn't happen again? The illusion that people are capable of doing the right thing and owning up to their mistakes when there are millions of $ on the line? I don't know any more at this point, it's discouraging.

Seriously, watch The Big Short guys. I wasn't kidding. It's highly entertaining as well as informative.

Liar's Poker was better.

umeu wrote:Nobody in economics has a clue what theyre talking about, thats why economic science is such a hilarious oxymoron.

You have macro and micro mixed up.
Top quality poster.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

you are absolutely clueless... i have a phd in economics.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

umeu wrote:you are absolutely clueless... i have a phd in economics.

So do I.
Top quality poster.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Marxism is a critique of capatalism, and as far as I can see, it has never been put to life in a big scale in any countries - YET. I am talking about the bottom up empowerment of the workers - that the workers own the business as a cooperative. Communism is a top down system, where the bureaucrats make all the decisions as in a dictatorship. I guess the communists in China and Sovjetunion just took Marxism 3 steps to far.
Imagine that the tools, the fabrics, the big corporations being ruled by the workers - and that the workers where choosing their own management. If they are not happy with the management, they get to pick new leaders? That the wages where set by the workers, in a way that the profits of the buisness where devised more equally among them, and put in to new investment for the good of the company (and not the CEO or the stockholders). Today most stockholders have never set their food in the businesses they own.

Cooperative businesses are community-owned private enterprises that combine consumers with owners, and buyers with sellers in a democratic governance structure. Cooperatives solve the general economic problem of under or over production, business uncertainty, and excessive costs. Cooperatives address market failure and fill gaps that other private businesses ignore; such as: provision of rural electricity or other utilities in sparsely populated areas, provision of affordable healthy and organic foods; and access to affordable credit and banking services, to affordable housing, to quality affordable child or elder care, to markets for culturally sensitive goods and arts.

Cooperative businesses have lower failure rates than traditional corporations and small businesses, after the first year of startup, and after 5 years in business. About 10% of cooperatives fail after the first year while 60-80% of traditional businesses fail after the first year. After 5 years, 90% of cooperatives are still in business, while only 3 - 5% of traditional businesses are still operating after 5 years.

https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... Qsy_w7zjoA
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

iNcog wrote:I have a nobel prize in economics. DO I WIN THE THREAD /s

I have three ig nobel prize and a salaried position as visiting professor at Brookes College, Oxford.
Top quality poster.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

Laurence Drake wrote:
iNcog wrote:I have a nobel prize in economics. DO I WIN THE THREAD /s

I have three ig nobel prize and a salaried position as visiting professor at Brookes College, Oxford.
As you can see, the Council recruits only the best talents.
Great Britain Method_man714
Lancer
ESO: Therotivator

Post by Method_man714 »

yurashic wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:It wasn't communism though. They called it communism, but they never managed to reached that point where nobody owes anything and everything is free and shared, etc. USSR could merely reach a state of dictatorship that was supposedly a transition before being able to actually set up communism, but that never happened.

All companies belonged to the state, private business was illegal, the state kept the national currency at the same level, nowadays people still remember prices of goods because those never changed. As I have already mentioned, salaries were low but many things were free. I don't think it is possible to reach the point you are talking about simply because of human nature.

Kaiserklein wrote:What about the ~20 million people who died because of Stalin ?

Great empires are not built on kindness and tolerance.

Are you trying to excuse a genocide?
hazzarov: can u fk off callen