The Left's War on Christianity

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Which one?
No Flag musketjr
Lancer

Post by musketjr »

it's people benj. people choose how they interpret religion.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

musketjr wrote:the only thing i have to say about religion is that you are choosing to believe in a false dichotomy if you pit them against eachother. they are information.

Always good to see you post. I would like to elaborate on this point, but im too tired for another slugfest :/
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

incog wrote:
umeu wrote:You almost make me miss dragon :/
Probably because unlike Dragon Im right and use arguments which cant be contested.
[br

Nah
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

incog wrote:
Probably because unlike Dragon Im right and use arguments which cant be contested.

Not an hour ago you put up a rambling incoherent speech against people being too sure of themself, which you ended, literally by saying that you were quite sure of you being right, and now you say it again.

You are behaving exactly like the people i mentioned in my earlier post, and the way you object to it only confirms ot. And it is btw pretty much in the same aggro-defensive style that most other people put up when confronted with the realisation that we all have a foundation upon which our worldview rests which we cannot treat otherwise than as if it was the absolute truth. Doing otherwise would result in total skepticism, and i dont believe i need to explain why that is an impossible way to live.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Most people dont kill others for their beliefs. (Most people dont kill in general) And of those few that do, there are both religious and non religious fanatics.

I elaborated on it already, the simple version is that doing otherwise will result in pure skepticism which is unliveable. If you are really interested in the elaborate answer, ill give it tomorrow. Its too late now to start on something like that
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Hitler had plenty of empathy for blue-eyed, blonde-haired Aryans.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

incog wrote:Few? I don''t think Palastine counts as "few", nor does Arab Spring, nor does ISIS, nor does the Spanish Inquisition, nor do the Crusades, and so on.

Hitler''s genocide was based on BELIEFS and Stalin''s mass killing were based on BELIEFS in communism (or w/e he believed in).

To say that we need religion to avoid skepticism is ridiculous, what we need is empathy. Which I''m sure is the correct answer. I can''t believe I''ve ever heard anyone ever say "you''re empathetic son of a bitch".

I never said we needed religion to avoid skepticism. Everything people do conciously is based on beliefs... What you just said is based upon your beliefs about this world, and just like everyone else you are utterly convinced your beliefs are the right one (aka you act as if they are an absolute truth, even though in theory you leave room for doubt)

Its all nice and dandy to say we need empathy, but the problem arises when people fail to see common ground. A lavk of understanding of what another person is going through will imo always result in a lack of sympathy. If you cannot relate to someone elsew situation, then you cannot be empathetic.

And here i think it comes in handy to point out that the common ground we all share is that all of us we hold beliefs which constitute our worldview. And that despite the fact that many of us hold different constituent beliefs, the fact that we have them is what makes us the same.
No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

Post by bugattivitesse »

Much of modern Christianity has been distorted and changed from what they believe Jesus would have wanted. This results in an ugly Christianity which no one wants. Its like that quote ( i don't remember from whom), but it goes something like this:

"1/10 of people will read the Bible, the others will read the Christian."

A lot of friends and people i know have had a bad experience with a Christian, and now are completely closed to the idea of it. As a Christian myself, we need to try harder to live out Christs teachings to avoid this misunderstanding and misrepresentation of Christianity.

Many modern Christians have assumed a position of arrogance, thinking that they are somehow instantly better than everyone else who is non Christian. This was one of the things that turned me away from Christianity when i was an Atheist.

I am personally not too alarmed at how the west is turning against it. It is expected, and actually prophesied in the Bible. We just need to keep on spreading the love of Jesus, if not in the west, then in the east. Christianity has gone through numerous persecutions throughout history, and i am certain that it will last.

I believe that Nietzsche has a whole ton to do with it as well. He was one of the clearest thinkers on what would happen once society rejects Christianity. He predicted that the times after his ideas were published would be different.

"I know my fate. One day my name will be associated with the memory of something tremendous - a crisis without equal on earth, the most profound collision of conscience, a decision that was conjured up against everything that had been believed, demanded, hallowed so far. I am no man, I am dynamite."
- Ecce Homo, FN

Just my thoughts, BUGAVITTIViTESSE
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:

:-*

Gayyyyyy
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

I was talking about the religion which promote hierarchy among people and communitarianism, two elements that destroy a society from the inside (and that makes their follower persecuted since millenaries, actually the most persecuted people in history).
A religion that is criticized and denounced by most of the brilliant philosophers and historians in their writings but few people know about that.
A religion which the country attached to it is the leitmotiv to few of the most powerful lobbies in USA and in Europe.
I don't believe it's only the fault of the people.
I don't agree with the creation of an arguable illegitimate state, it's violation of UN laws since decades, and lead by one of the most influential war criminal of our times.
Islam and Christianism, as well as Judaism contain good values. Islam has a huge part of interpretation and very few people are able to interpret it correctly, using historicity and the right translations from ancient languages and metaphors, that's what makes this religion dangerous (yes, I've read couple part of the Koran, but translated in french which isn't the Koran anymore, and without any knowledge of historicity, and I've also read how Islam intellectual explain how people should interpret it, which is totally different). Muslims tend to use Jihad to justify violence while they don't even know the deep meaning of the concept.
Don't have many thought about christianism, but even if religion isn't the cause for most war in history as believed by some people, I believe that some are more potentially dangerous than others. Everyone has a dark side, is able to sin, but growing up with the right values and education restrict this ability and allow humans to have more control on it.
The rational answer? be Deist, my friend and go for the bet of Pascal. Otherwise, if you practice a religion be sure to teach it right to your kids and be able to select and understand what's important and rational in the holy books
*in the end, Voltaire said that religion reflect the finitude and the fear of most humans, but not everyone has access to education or is able to grow up in a positive environment with the right values, so religion also have an enormous impact on people that need something to refer to, but I'm not sure if picking one monoteistic religion over another is the right thing to do for someone who truly believe in god. just personal thoughts
** for those who didn't get it, my reference was more related to Religious Zionism than anything else
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

What is communitarianism? I never heard of this word.

Also just say zionism or judaism if thats what you mean :p
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

my bad it was not that clear, I just edited (I'm quiet exhausted but can't let such things as : all the fault comes from humans, there are factors that influence humans and they have to be considered)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communitarianism
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

No it was pretty clear, thats why i think its only a small admission to name it.

I can see the criticism towards hierarchy, but apart from nietzsche who heavily critisized zionism for its community orientated ideals? (Imo even Nietzsce didnt do that extensively)
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

that's y I was unclear, because I'm to tired to express my thoughts clearly and even make sense. to the reference of authors, intellectuals, geniuses, historical figures, it was more a reference to Judaism (which is in the end the most dangerous religion in my opinion) than Zionism which is obviously to recent to include the reference I implied.
could talk abt it tomorrow
edit: actually for the respect of religious beliefs I don't even think it's a good idea to talk about it on this forum, so I should leave it there
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Im pretty sure he doesnt mean it in that sense, but more the effects of having such a worldview.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Well i cant speak for benj...
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

'The Left' is just a euphemism for the global Jewish anti-Christian conspiracy.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

How many of these types of images do you have saved?

Will you show me your collection, please?
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

If you have some kind of folder where you keep all these images and videos bookmarked, I would like to see it please.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Aww man, that really bums me out. I was hoping you had a few rare images to share.