Mathematics

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: Mathematics

Post by Jaeger »

Anyone have any cool problems they would like to share? I just did a pretty cool one, the proof is easy if you know how to start it but finding the right direction to start in may or may not take some time. I saw this problem before a few years ago and I had to look up the solution, but I tried solving it now again and found another way to do it:

If S can be expressed as the sum of two squares, show that 2S can be expressed as the sum of two squares, and show that 5S can be expressed as the sum of two squares (integers only ofc)
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

@Jerom @Garja hy isn't this thread showing in active threads? :(
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It's off-topic section. Site admin changed that recently.
Image Image Image
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Garja wrote:It's off-topic section. Site admin changed that recently.

Site admin as in divinefire? Is he still around? I haven't seen him post in months.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

ovi12 wrote:Anyone have any cool problems they would like to share? I just did a pretty cool one, the proof is easy if you know how to start it but finding the right direction to start in may or may not take some time. I saw this problem before a few years ago and I had to look up the solution, but I tried solving it now again and found another way to do it:

If S is the sum of two positive integers, show that 2S and 5S are the sum of 2 positive integers as well.

I think it's obvious they are sum of 2 positive integers. :hmm: Maybe you mean something like odd or even?
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

BrookG wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Anyone have any cool problems they would like to share? I just did a pretty cool one, the proof is easy if you know how to start it but finding the right direction to start in may or may not take some time. I saw this problem before a few years ago and I had to look up the solution, but I tried solving it now again and found another way to do it:

If S is the sum of two positive integers, show that 2S and 5S are the sum of 2 positive integers as well.

I think it's obvious they are sum of 2 positive integers. :hmm: Maybe you mean something like odd or even?

Lol wtf was i writing i meant squares. If S can be expressed as the sum of two squares, show that 2S can be expressed as the sum of two squares, and show that 5S can be expressed as the sum of two squares (integers only ofc)
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I think i meant to write "perfect square" but i wrote positive integer instead
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

iNcog wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
Garja wrote:It's off-topic section. Site admin changed that recently.

Site admin as in divinefire? Is he still around? I haven't seen him post in months.

it's buckethead

not a bad thing either, can't have new people getting in on all those off topic shitposts lol

What happened to divine? Did he get fired?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Divine is experiencing real life.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's statistics not math.

Statistics is the science according to which, on average, every person on the planet has one testicle.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Dolan wrote:

That's statistics not math.

Statistics is the science according to which, on average, every person on the planet has one testicle.

So no MATH is used to determine statistics? Pretty sure you need too ADD all the number of people surveyed . Then SUBTRACT the difference of people with 1, zero or more testis, and then DIVIDE the 2 numbers to derive a PERCENT average. That's using math....

The science part is examining each patient to determine their physiology of numerical testis
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

ovi12 wrote:
BrookG wrote:

Lol wtf was i writing i meant squares. If S can be expressed as the sum of two squares, show that 2S can be expressed as the sum of two squares, and show that 5S can be expressed as the sum of two squares (integers only ofc)

I thought about it and I have an issue. Say S=2, 2=1^2+1^2. 2S=4, it can't be expressed as an addition of perfect squares, haven't checked for subtraction.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

BrookG wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I thought about it and I have an issue. Say S=2, 2=1^2+1^2. 2S=4, it can't be expressed as an addition of perfect squares, haven't checked for subtraction.

2^2+0^2. Addition is sufficient for any number
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

@ovi12 Ok I got it. Tbh I search a bit on wiki for an equation I didn't know (Diophantus' identity).
(1) Diophantus' identity (a^2+b^2)*(c^2+d^2)=(ac-bd)^2+(ad-bc)^2
Say S=a^2+b^2.
From (1) 2S=(1^2+1^2)(a^2+b^2)=(a-b)^2+(a+b)^2
5S=((1^2)+(2^2))(a^2+b^2)=(a-2b)^2+(2a-b)^2

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

BrookG wrote:@ovi12 It's seem like cheating, using zero imo

Well in the statement of the problem I think I said I allowed any integers, and zero is an integer. I could see why you would call it "cheating" if zero was always one of the squares, but it's not. So I'll state the problem once more with all the restrictions and details in one post:

Show that if S can be written as the sum of two perfect squares (squares of any integers) then 2S can be written as the sum of two perfect squares, and 5S can be written as the sum of two perfect squares.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Edited my post after a while ;-) Also works for pS=x^2+y^2, where p congruent to 1(mod4) from Fermat's theorem, which I saw recently on numberphile.

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

BrookG wrote:@ovi12 Ok I got it. Tbh I search a bit on wiki for an equation I didn't know (Diophantus' identity).
(1) Diophantus' identity (a^2+b^2)*(c^2+d^2)=(ac-bd)^2+(ad-bc)^2
Say S=a^2+b^2.
From (1) 2S=(1^2+1^2)(a^2+b^2)=(a-b)^2+(a+b)^2
5S=((1^2)+(2^2))(a^2+b^2)=(a-2b)^2+(2a-b)^2

Congrats, that's the solution I found a few years ago when I couldn't do it. Now I revisited the problem and I came up with this:
Attachments
Brook.png
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

@BrookG Yeah Numberphile OP. Did you see the one line proof video? The actual proof, on numberphile2; it's pretty cool.

Also, how did you find that identity?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

ovi12 wrote:@BrookG Yeah Numberphile OP. Did you see the one line proof video? The actual proof, on numberphile2; it's pretty cool.

Also, how did you find that identity?

I was thinking about the prime as a sum of squares. Googled it. Then on wikia's page on the paragraph of Euler's proof it's the first criterion

Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Number theory seems the hardest branch to grasp.

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

BrookG wrote:Number theory seems the hardest branch to grasp.

Well it's not hard to understand the questions but it's very difficult to get the solutions. But I think counting problems are the easiest ones to make mistakes in, at least for beginners like me

Have you taken number theory yet?