RO16 Preview

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

RO16 Preview

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

A new, icy gale blows from the North, punishing all who haven't prepared for the coming cold. The old and the weak have perished, torn apart by a pack of hungry wolves, limb by limb. Many heroes have fallen, their hearts too frail to beat the rythm of the pounding blizzard drum. Aizamk, IAmSoldier, Jerom, they are nothing more now but an echo retreating in to the warmth of memory. Sixteen shadows still remain, as the dusk of Winter falls, but when Spring dawns, only one will be left standing.

After a very bloody RO32, it is time to get hyped for a packed RO16! In the RO32, infamously named by some as the "round of walkovers", we saw more 3-0 results than we expected. wookl, El_Pistolero_, Hwoarang, Jerom_, Aizamk, Stanley_Winston and TPHB were ruthlessly swept aside 3-0 by their opponents, although there is no shame to reaching the RO32 losing to someone who reached the RO16 and onwards! We wish these players more luck in the next tournament they participate in.
Of course, the RO32 also featured some very close matches. Garja managed to beat dyddyd91 after an exhausting series which had everyone sitting on the edge of their seat. Against all odds, dyddyd defeated Garja's Aztecs with Japan, but did not proceed to defeat Garja in the rest of the games. We also saw ramex12 vs WickedCossack go to full length, with ramex12 winning 3-2.

Moving onto the RO16 we have a lot of exciting matches, for example Samwise12 vs LordRaphael, Garja vs either kiljardi or Boneng (edit: kiljardi vs Boneng will be played and streamed this Saturday the 30th at 10 GMT), GoodSpeed vs mongo10, Umeu vs either kynesie or OPTIMUS__PRIME, ACERGAME09 vs _H2O and a lot more. To start off the series the first map will be Tibet, a very controversial map in the Summer Tournament. We expect a lot of China mirrors coming out of this one. Map 4 is another non-standard map, Cascade Range. With its terrible treasures and its limited hunts games tournament games on Cascade Range are always very exciting and even. The remaining maps are Hudson Bay, High Plains, and Arkansas, which are all pretty standard maps, but this doesn't mean the games won't be exciting! Regardless of the maps, we've got a weekend full of exciting games ahead of us!

NOTE: This schedule is subject to change.

All games will be streamed via the ESOCTV Official Twitch Channel.

All Times are GMT+0

Saturday, January 30th:

10:00 - 12:00, kiljardi vs Boneng (RO32) (Betting Match)
Kiljardi vs Boneng is an interesting match up. Kiljardi is an old school player, even appearing in one of Mr milo’s guides. He used to be in the top10 of players when he was still playing actively, but isn’t as active anymore nowadays. You can still see that he is an old school player, having a strong preference for strats such as German bow pike. Boneng is the most confusing player I have ever seen play. He plays so slowly, macroes terribly and doesnt have great micro either. You’d say he compensates doing very solid strategies, but his strategies never make any sense to me either. Somehow though, he manages to win very often. I dont understand how he does it, but he does it. This match ups promises two very unique styles. It’s almost impossible to call, but we predict a 3-2 for Kiljardi.

14:00 - 16:00, goongoon vs Yurashic (RO32)

16:00 - 18:00, diarouga vs Lukas_L99
After an unfortunate series of events regarding "smurfing-until-proven-innocent", Lukas proceeds to the RO16, although his foe is none other than diarouga. Diarouga has made a name for himself in the community by spamming the AoE3 Strategy section with helpful advices and by being a member of the ESOC FP balance team. With his extensive civ pool (ft. Indiarouga) he is a foe to be feared. In our opinion, he is the clear favorite to win this series, although his opponent Lukas should not be underestimated. He did beat the legendary Mr_Bramboy (and Somppu I guess) after all. Lukas is generally known as "the guy who finished 2nd in the treaty cup (and beat Mr_Bramboy)" and he has shown he also knows how to play supremacy. Will his China FF be enough to beat diarouga though? We predict diarouga will take this series 3-0

21:00+ Saturday Smackdown!

Sunday, January 31th:

ACERGAME09 vs _H2O, 17:00 - 20:00
With a showdown between the two heavyweights LordRaphael and Samwise12 going on this round, many people are overlooking the American face-off between our resident dictator _H2O and the runner up in the most recent tournament, ACERGAME09, who some have dubbed AcerGod. _H2O needs no real introduction. Being one of the few to have won any real money from Age of Empires 3, our Lord of water makes it rain on and off the court. _H2O is an excellent mechanical player who generally tries to mirror his opponents in order to make full use of his mechanical advantage and solid meta play. However, this tournament’s civ rules might crack open the door for the Godchild. Since players take turns counterciving each other, Acer is sure to have some non meta tricks up his sleeve. Last tourney, his surprise builds took him all the way to the finals and if it weren’t for a few misclicks, he might have been the one to ascend the Iron Throne. However, the Mankler is one of the best at punishing mistakes and adapting to strange circumstances, so baring an infamous Mankle tilt, the most likely scenario is that our Highness will take the series 3-0.

[spoiler=Important notice]Samwise12 vs LordRaphael (Betting Match) NOT TODAY: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4865

Note: Match has been cancelled for now. The match will most likely be played on Tuesday as of now. Keep an eye on the scheduling thread! Instead of this match, the stream will be occupied with mongo10 vs GoodSpeed!

Two titans facing off against each other. Let's face it, this match might as well be the finals. These two players are among the best currently playing and we are personally quite sad that this series is only a BO5. Sam (also known as "the MANKL team games carrier") was considered one of the best players back in his day, which he proved by breaking the PR limit by reaching PR52. The only players who we would say are able to beat Sam this tournament are _H2O and LordRaphael, although we have seen a lot of upsets in this tournament. LordRaphael himself is also quite the top player. His reign started on vanilla, where he performed very well and got very far in tournaments. In PK2 and PK3 he finished 2nd and 3rd respectively. After the great TAD migration we've only seen him play in the Summer Tourney, but he dropped out early due to a broken computer. Let's hope his computer doesn't break down again in this vital period, since I expect a lot from this player. If he beats Sam, we think it'll be up to _H2O to put a stop to his triumph for victory. We predict either Sam or Raphael winning this series 3-2.[/spoiler]

Goodspeed vs mongo10, 20:30 - 22:00
If the betting was on whether or not the match was going to end with both players in the colonial age, it would be wise to bet against it. Goodspeed is infamous for being one of the few followers of the Book of Mart, although there is some debate on whether going industrial, balance, or cannabis are the Book’s most important aspects. However, in his last series Goodspeed was able to forget all he learned from the Book and dispatch HWY with relative ease 3-0. Mongo10 had a similar result as well, beating American giant SoldieR 3-0 as well. His main civ is China, with which he took down the mighty Samwise12 twice during the last tournament. He has gone from being a relatively unknown player to becoming a contender in a fairly short amount of time. The main question for this match is, even if Goodspeed is able to defy his base instincts and play semi-standard, will it be enough to take down Mongo10, who is quickly turning into a powerhouse? Unfortunately, it’s very probable the old pro Goodspeed will lose to the new blood 3-2.

Mitoe vs ramex12, 22:00 - 00:00
For those of you Veni fan boys out there, you’ll most likely find him in the twitch chat when his boi Ramex12 takes on the mac scrub Mitoe. Ramex appears to be primarily a team player, while Mitoe’s forte seems to be 1v1, as evidenced by his elo page and from watching his MANKL teammates carry him to victory in several team games. Mitoe has certainly had a much easier path to the round of 16. With KingOwnages forfeiture, Mitoe has yet to play a highly ranked player, while Ramex has taken down one of the best players from the group stage, Jsimons1289, as well as WickedCossack. So will the Veni law hold true in this match? Due to Ramex’s close aoe friendship with Veni it seems like it should. In this case however, it’s more likely that the Veni law is more of lenient code than anything scientific, and Mitoe will take the series 3-1.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Re: RO16 Preview

Post by MCJim »

Good write up! Every weekend gonna be better and better!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France ramex12
Skirmisher

Post by ramex12 »

Why do you always think of me as veni's right arm or something? xD I'm a strong, independant man. :(
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

ramex12 wrote:Why do you always think of me as veni's right arm or something? xD I'm a strong, independant man. :(

He said you both were true brothers! You even borrowed him your account :D
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France ramex12
Skirmisher

Post by ramex12 »

Nah we are just good friends :) and that was not my main account :p
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Probably a little late for this, but I'd love to see the image banner change just a little bit for each round (somehow include RO32, 16, etc in the image). I didn't even notice this was a new post, haha.

I still love the banner and the quality of these posts. :)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

ha I enjoyed it. Good write up. Thanks to gibson (and possibly others) for helping us out a bit because we're all very busy atm.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Best write up from the media team so far, the grammar is almost perfect
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Belgium stanleywinston
Dragoon
Beginner Division WinnerDonator 01
ESO: Stanley_Winston

Post by stanleywinston »

Ramex, you lied to me! I really thought you two were family!
France ramex12
Skirmisher

Post by ramex12 »

lool..............
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

musketeer925 wrote:Probably a little late for this, but I'd love to see the image banner change just a little bit for each round (somehow include RO32, 16, etc in the image). I didn't even notice this was a new post, haha.

I still love the banner and the quality of these posts. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to change it for the next news post; for now I've used a new one so people notice the news post.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

I just saw this post either.
Newpost's title should be bolded, so everybody can notice it.
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Update: ACERGAME09 will face off against _H2O Sunday 17 GMT!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

ovi12 wrote:Best write up from the media team so far, the grammar is almost perfect

Says the Romanian prostitute...
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

These write ups are great, thanks!
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

LOL zoi is so brutal ; I wish I could say such things without getting warned :roll:
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

some really nice games again, but as you mentioned too bad it'll only be BO5!
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham