Finals Preview

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Finals Preview

Post by momuuu »

Heavy snowfall impedes our sight, our hands are cold, our fingers refuse to move. We try to open our eyes and through the snow and smokes, we catch a glimpse of two figures. Two shadows ever so vague but ever so reminiscent, clearly discriminated by their immense strength. The snowfall lessens and behind us we feel the sun shine and warm our skin for the first time since winter began. Numerous bodies, scattered around these two figures, catch our eyes. As the blizzard starts to subside, we recognize these two figures clearly, we perceive the scars that mark their long journey. We realize that the time of spring is near, that we’ll be witness of the last battle this winter. The last battle to determine the Winter Champion!

Last week's stream was an absolute blast. Our young French superstar - I'm talking about diarouga of course - faced off against our one and only messiah, the glorious H2O. Game one was played on Pampas Sierras, in which diarouga played China and H2O played India. It seems as if H2O is convinced the consulate musket build is very good ever since he lost to that build against PrinceofKabul, proven by the fact that he used it in this very game. diarouga managed to recover, however, and took game one with some solid play. Unfortunately, diarouga was not able to take another game in this series. With some extremely solid play, H2O locked down the 4-1 victory. LordRaphael vs Kynesie was possibly even better. LordRaphael, just like the dictator, lost game one of the series on Pampas Sieras. With three more water maps in the mappool, things looked rather grim for him from the start. LordRaphael showed us that even Kynesie’s waterplay was simply no match for him winning the series 4-2.

But that's not the only important part! During the stream we experimented with donations in order to fund the tournaments and we could not have hoped for a better result. Thanks to your generous donations, we raised a total of $900 USD! (well the actual number is 780 after fees and rounding down but 900 is a prettier number) We would like to thank everyone who donated and watched the stream. Check out the top donators, those a little bit more responsible for funding these events, here. Remember, without donations these events would not be possible. You guys are awesome! After the finals, we will release a separate news post listing all the donations and the amount. Make sure to get yourself in that top 10!

The Grand Finals are there, right in front of us now. They will be an epic best of nine with a mappool that has everything one can ever wish for. In a smackdownesque fashion the series will start off on Siberia, which promises to be a drawn out macro game. The second map is a very standard map in Hudson Bay. For game 3, we will see the yak-heavy RE map Mongolia. Game four to six will be played on three rather standard maps: Baja California, Bengal and Kamchatka. Game seven is where things get real spicy as New England makes its first appereance this tournament. Game eight brings us to the standard, but TP-heavy High Plains and the final game shall be played on yakmap number two, Manchuria.

Sunday, February 28th:
Third place match: Kynesie vs diarouga
As a warm up before the Grand Finals, Kynesie and diarouga will play eachother to determine who will take third place. Both Kynesie and diarouga must’ve taken a small hit to their confidence after losing in the semi finals. LordRaphael managed to beat Kynesie’s waterplay, his speciality, and H2O made diarouga almost look like a mediocre player, but that might very well not say anything about Kynesie and diarouga, but more about the exceptional players that LordRaphael and H2O are. For this match there’s a slightly different mappool and format: It’s a BO7 on Hudson Bay, Kamchatka, Mongolia, Indonesia, Painted Desert and last but not least, Baja California. Diarouga vs Kynesie is a battle that not only determines who will claim the third place, but also a battle to determine the best French player. The mappool seems to favor Kynesie a bit, with 3 excellent water maps that are very suited to Kynesie’s style (Indonesia in particular). However, as LordRaphael demonstrated, Kynesie’s waterplay is not unbeatable. Our young French superstar is a tactical mastermind, seemingly knowing what to do in every match up and always happy to experiment with new builds. He will surely have a gameplan to tear down Kynesies walls, to sink his ships and to win the series. Predicting a coinflip is plain stupid and senseless, which is why we won’t predict any outcome once more. Just on thing that can be predicted: We will see lots of walls and ships arise and be destroyed this series until one of these great players emerges victorious.

GRAND FINALS: H2O vs LordRaphael (19 GMT)
What a finals, H2O vs LordRaphael. H2O goes by many names, herr Mankl, the dictator, the supreme commander, the true God, the waterboy, and is one hell of a player. His bracket so far has been anything but easy, facing Princeofkabul, Acergame, Mitoe and Diarouga on his road of destruction. While H2O might have seemed immortal to some, all of these opponents showed that H2O can certainly be beaten, as H2O did not manage to beat any of these without dropping games to them, even looking to be near the edge of defeat against Mitoe. While H2O’s bracket was very tough, it may not have been the hardest bracket. LordRaphael’s bracket was quite intense aswell, with him facing El_Pistolero, Samwise, Boneng and Kynesie. LordRaphael was also shown to be quite reminiscent of a mortal, dropping a few games throughout his road to the finals as well. LordRaphael managed to beat both Kynesie’s and Boneng’s water play so convincingly that we might just call him the watermaster. Fortune seems to be on Raphael’s side, as his final opponent is nobody other than Water himself. Can he defeat H2O to definitively claim the title of the watermaster, or will he drown in the sea of Ryan’s skill. Both players are excellent, almost perfect players. Taking even a single game off of one of them is an achievement in itself. While the end of the winter is near, while the Championship is within reach, the final step to victory might just be the hardest challenge yet. Whether it is harder for LordRaphael to beat H2O or the other way around, is almost impossible to decide.

The snowfall intensifies so strongly that it feels as if it might be the last time this winter. The wolves howling in the background seem to initiate the final battle. The last glimpse of these two heroes, these seemingly immortal individuals, reveals their muscles tensing, thier bodies preparing for the final showdown. As you become aware of the voice of Zuterjection, you realize that the wait is finally over, that the Grand Finals of the Winter Tournament has finally begun.

The finals will be streamed on both twitch and YouTubeGaming. We hope to see you tune in for the last matches of this tournament!
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Re: Finals Preview

Post by thebritish »

Everything is perfect in the write up.
Good job.
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Can't wait!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Another NICE one Jerom. The poet of AOE.
Im so looking forward to the final :)
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

I realized today why Ryan is called the waterboy.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

:O
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Because he was poor enough at sports in school that they would only let him be the waterboy?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Zutazuta wrote:Because he was poor enough at sports in school that they would only let him be the waterboy?

No it's because his hair was WET
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I think it's because his name is H2o, also commonly known as water. Right?
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

geniunely a good write up but "h2o making diarouga seem like a mediocre player" is abit harsh as they have very close games
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

He didn't watch the games, only the score.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

This write up is poetic af
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I told him it was harsh but he ignored me :(
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

Yeah the games were close for sure. The Siberia game was the best one.
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

_H2O wrote:Yeah the games were close for sure. The Siberia game was the best one.

not the german vs french though :lol:
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

I hope you will stream it on YouTube with an option 1080p60
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

Germans ez mode
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Good news, microsoft helps us out a little and posted about the tournament on their blog and facebook: http://www.ageofempires.com/news/2016/0 ... is-sunday/
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3766034038
I think give the facebook post some extra attention if we'd all like it :D
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Jerom wrote:Good news, microsoft helps us out a little and posted about the tournament on their blog and facebook: http://www.ageofempires.com/news/2016/0 ... is-sunday/
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3766034038
I think give the facebook post some extra attention if we'd all like it :D

NICE!
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Yeah, it's nice we reached our goal with this. Now hope for more viewers!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
No Flag opeltonop
Crossbow

Post by opeltonop »

Finals is BO how many?

I've watched all the games recently, and LordRapheal vs H20 feels really really close, will be a really good match up. I hope some water shenanigans goes down.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

BO9

Bronze match is BO7
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

_h2o is the best player, glhf guys!