Smackdown report #2

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Smackdown report #2

Post by Goodspeed »

[div style="text-align:center'"]Update on this weeks Smackdown

Looks like King_Ownage2nd wont be able to play this week after all. The match up below will be played in week 17 (saturday may 23rd), bets will be open until then!
Who plays Smackdown this week? We dont know yet, but its gonbegood either way.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[img]http://i.imgur.com/fSzZECJ.jpg[/img][/div]

[strike]A historic day! The beast has been slain[/strike] Samwise12 played the series of his life and pulled out an insane 4-3 upset. Goodspeed, (and here comes the excuse) playing on an old laptop because he broke his keyboard that very day, saw his AoE career vanish into thin air like he did his war hut in game 7.

It was a good series. Featured a solid action-packed India mirror which reminded me of a game in the last showmatch we played back on FP (link), a decent Japan vs India and overall decent games. Thats not to say we (myself especially) were playing well, were still rusty old men, but there was something there, I guess. Thanks to Zutazuta for hosting and Interjection for co-casting. There will be a rematch!

In all seriousness though, Sams still got it. Thats what this series showed if anything. He still has the micro and the decision making to win a long game, what remains is for him to get the experience he needs in the current meta. As shown by his humble question "I should go consulate?", hes behind on the builds never having played much RE patch, and will need experience to compete in the Summer tournament. The Spring Championships showed in its finals that even a small difference in knowledge about what works can decide a best of 9.

But make no mistake, through the rust there is a shimmer of the old Sam and its getting brighter. Keep your eyes open,
the Wise is getting back in shape.
[div style="text-align:center'"]
[/div][div style="text-align:center'"]Next week[/div]
And hes playing again! Sams showing the passion and has agreed to play again next saturday. This time not against some scrub who uses Virginia company, but against someone who knows all about the current quick search meta. King_Ownage2nd is stepping up to the stage, after showing promising play in sKs clans 24h stream yesterday (BO5 against Mitoe, result 3-2 in favour of Mitoe). Known as a quick search player, hes experienced in the current meta. This makes the series extra interesting, because Sam has only just started playing on this patch. Top mechanics against knowledge, its hard to call but if there is one way to stop Sam right now, its by using this weakness. [strike]And by not playing like a scrub

[/strike]So be sure to tune in next week at the official age of empires stream, saturday (may 23rd!) 20 GMT, for:

[div style="text-align:center'"]Samwise12 vs King_Ownage2nd
[font size="3"]Hosted by Zutazuta feat. Interjection
[/font][/div]
Be sure to leave your bets on the match here!
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Smackdown report #2

Post by SoldieR »

I've released the king upon our community!
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Smackdown report #2

Post by crjensen4 »

As always a joy to read your posts.
Some very good games indeed, and I believe you by far deserve some respect for your skills and gameplay in this series!
Glad to see Sam back

gg
France iNcog
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by iNcog »

Aw did your keyboard break. That really sucks
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

Why Samwise playing every smackdown?
Nice report btw
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Smackdown report #2

Post by Goodspeed »

incog wrote:Aw did your keyboard break. That really sucks
Ye I spilled water over it, it wasn''t working yesterday but maybe today after drying

Sick timing too, I was looking forward to this series but it was pretty unplayable. 20-25 fps the whole time which made it lag for Sam too, and I had to get used to a different mouse speed on the spot :(
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

Nice to see other players play smackdown. I hope to see some rafuuu
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner
ESO: Samwise12

Smackdown report #2

Post by samwise12 »

i only offered to play if no one else would, id like to see some others play aswell but everyone dodging.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Smackdown report #2

Post by princeofkabul »

somppukunkku wrote:Why Samwise playing every smackdown?
Nice report btw

Why wouldn''t he? I''ve seen enough of mitoe-aizamk, (no offense) watching old players playing is something you don''t see too often.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

yea I prefer watch samwise than mitoe-aiz for sure.
but still, I would like to see different players each week. and it seems that samwise isn't even too eager to play.
I feel there was not much effort to seeking for players.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Smackdown report #2

Post by princeofkabul »

somppukunkku wrote:yea I prefer watch samwise than mitoe-aiz for sure.
but still, I would like to see different players each week. and it seems that samwise isn''t even too eager to play.

Somppukunkku vs Soldier! Or Somppu vs anxiety
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Smackdown report #2

Post by Goodspeed »

somppukunkku wrote:yea I prefer watch samwise than mitoe-aiz for sure.
but still, I would like to see different players each week. and it seems that samwise isn''t even too eager to play.
It''s an interesting match up because it''s someone who is used to the current meta against someone with superior mechanics who isn''t.
Many other players didn''t have time next saturday or weren''t willing to commit to playing. Keep in mind it''s a saturday night and we have to know who plays way beforehand so we have time to bet on the match.

If you want to play in week 17 (after next) or know any other players who do, PM me. And no worries, there are plenty of smackdowns still to come and we do plan to have different players every week.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Smackdown report #2

Post by Garja »

Solution: make it KOTH. First to win 5 times in a row wins.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

garja wrote:Solution: make it KOTH. First to win 5 times in a row wins.

I really doubt that there are many people who are able to or want to spend five saturday evenings/nights in a row playing AOE.
That wouldn''t work.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Smackdown report #2

Post by Mitoe »

somppukunkku wrote:I feel there was not much effort to seeking for players.
In the early days of Smackdown there were sign up threads for players, and even cash prizes. But there was almost zero interest from players and no one signed up, so Zuta just started asking people 15-20 minutes before Smackdown, and believe me, having tried to cast for Smackdown a couple of times, no one EVER seems to want to play' which is why Aizamk and myself had to play a lot, because there was simply no one else. We''ve just started trying to look for players in advance again, now that the community is much more active than before, so hopefully we''re able to find some interesting matchups, so if you''re interested in playing be sure to send a message to GoodSpeed, myself, or Zuta' maybe we''ll even have a signup thread in the future.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Smackdown report #2

Post by Garja »

h2o won 4 in a row?
Image Image Image
France iNcog
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by iNcog »

where's your passion

if you can make it one night you can make it every night

what else would you do? party? go out with girls? hah, you simply have no more build orders, you scritty newbie
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Smackdown report #2

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

GS, nice writing as always, and ye i know it sucks to use a different setup than you are used to, still ggs

I vote for sompu vs soldier too (but no sioux allowed or it will be another 24hour stream but then just for one BO :D)

About the smackdown day, well the idea is nice, but i think (quite) some people, including myself, often have other things on saturday evening, probably resulting in a smaller pool...
And i might have played one / could play one, if it werent for most people pulling up lame civ after lame civ ^^
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Smackdown report #2

Post by Mitoe »

venividivici wrote:And i might have played one / could play one, if it werent for most people pulling up lame civ after lame civ ^^
How often do people lame? :P It''s not very often. And maybe you should consider learning some of the better civs? Haha
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Smackdown report #2

Post by Goodspeed »

incog wrote:where''s your passion

if you can make it one night you can make it every night

what else would you do? party? go out with girls? hah, you simply have no more build orders, you scritty newbie
Woah shots fired
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Smackdown report #2

Post by bart331 »

mitoe wrote:
venividivici wrote:And i might have played one / could play one, if it werent for most people pulling up lame civ after lame civ ^^
How often do people lame? :P Its not very often. And maybe you should consider learning some of the better civs? Haha

Lol according to veni only brit fre ger is not lame
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Smackdown report #2

Post by oxaloacetate »

mitoe wrote:
venividivici wrote:
And maybe you should consider learning some of the better civs? Haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwTHY65Lp_o
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

garja wrote:Solution: make it KOTH. First to win 5 times in a row wins.

Make it challenger, like the sc2 where hyun won like 11 times.

If you win you get 5, win 5 in a row get another 50 (is 75 total). If a challenger wins he gets 5 + 5 times how many wins his predecessor had.

Not sure if there isenough moneyfor it though