Smackdown report #2

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Smackdown report #2

Post by Goodspeed »

Also
somppukunkku wrote:I really doubt that there are many people who are able to or want to spend five saturday evenings/nights in a row playing AOE.
That wouldn''t work.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Smackdown report #2

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

@Mitoe, hm idk too often imo, though can sometimes make up for ggs. And i do play otto and japs, but i dont like winning cause of some op abus gun or ashi/yumi. Its just my opinion about what i like and waht not. And ye, maybe i should learn sioux/india ye, would for sure increase tourney progress ^^
@Bart, no, dont put words in my mouth. Fre brit ger dutch rus china azz spain port all fine. Just most issues come with iro otto (though we saw that less luckily) and india sioux japs. If you dont understand they are too strong, than you should rethink that. That said, we can see good matchups too if these civs are playing eachother or mirror
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Smackdown report #2

Post by edeholland »

India vs Japan is actually quite a cool matchups and we have also seen some cool India vs Sioux games. But indeed, playing against one of those civs just sucks.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

mitoe wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:I feel there was not much effort to seeking for players.
In the early days of Smackdown there were sign up threads for players, and even cash prizes. But there was almost zero interest from players and no one signed up, so Zuta just started asking people 15-20 minutes before Smackdown, and believe me, having tried to cast for Smackdown a couple of times, no one EVER seems to want to play' which is why Aizamk and myself had to play a lot, because there was simply no one else. Weve just started trying to look for players in advance again, now that the community is much more active than before, so hopefully were able to find some interesting matchups, so if youre interested in playing be sure to send a message to GoodSpeed, myself, or Zuta' maybe well even have a signup thread in the future.

Tbh i think its sat night thats the problem. I played lots for wednesday stream but then zuta went to saturday and i couldnt play anymore. Most ppl get drunk on saturday or serve drinks to those drunks on saturday
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

It would matter a little, not that much i think. Iirc smackdown started 8 gmt which is perfect if u do want to play or watch
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Smackdown report #2

Post by bart331 »

venividivici wrote:@Mitoe, hm idk too often imo, though can sometimes make up for ggs. And i do play otto and japs, but i dont like winning cause of some op abus gun or ashi/yumi. Its just my opinion about what i like and waht not. And ye, maybe i should learn sioux/india ye, would for sure increase tourney progress ^^
@Bart, no, dont put words in my mouth. Fre brit ger dutch rus china azz spain port all fine. Just most issues come with iro otto (though we saw that less luckily) and india sioux japs. If you dont understand they are too strong, than you should rethink that. That said, we can see good matchups too if these civs are playing eachother or mirror

Wasnt my intention veni,

But every civ has "lame" aspects , and often people are confused with "lame" and "strong". Azzy is not lame but rly strong, germans are lame (uhlan) but not strong. Sioux is both lame and strong.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

Garja and i have been trying to explain thiz to ppl for ages... Maybe ull do better cuz nobody expects you to say sensible things :p

Germans still pretty strong though and azzy has quite some lames but your point is correct.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Smackdown report #2

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

Bart, every civ has strong aspects, some civs just have TOO strong i.e. lame aspects. But for me it should be about using strong aspects of a civ to beat the other civ which should be reasonable fair, and not that you play vs a civ so strong that you have like almost no chance to win and/or you cant make a mistake where he can make a few and still end up in the same situation.
I see german and azz as very strong, but not like the other top category, nothing lame here. But ok this is going into another discussion so i leave it at that.

Smackdown a little earlier could help, cause of when 'saturday evenings' generally start.
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Smackdown report #2

Post by deleted_user0 »

Too strong is not lame... Too strong is overpowered... Its the literal fucking meaning of the word even....

Laming is has little to do with strength, but just with how easy it is to execute in relation to how hard it is to beat. As well as generally being abusive in some sort of aspect. Hence 12 sepoy rush is laming, but playing 600w 300exp isnt. This doesnt mean that india is not too strong.

The distinction is fairly simple. Civs are too strong or too weak, aka op or up. Strats are lame or not. In general lame strats rely more on the opponents skill than your own to succeed. And usually they pivot around abusing one card or element of the game. Every civ has its lame strats, its just that civs that are already op have lames that seem even harder to beat because you have to close both the gap between civ advantage and the gap between lamer advantage.

Ports can easily be lamed by making walls, sending cm and camping cannons. Its easy to do, alot harder to beat, but by no means the best way to play ports. Nor is ports too strong. Ottos is too strong, and if you go jan rush thats quite lame, but again not the best way to play otto. But luckily otto is pretty much lame in every way, although imo jan abus isnt lame, just op due to abus being unbalanced. Still i think its hard to maintain that otto cav archer ff is very lame, even though its actually pretty good.
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Smackdown report #2

Post by crjensen4 »

i'll play LOL - oh wait - give me a handicap.. and the beast shall be slain after all...........