ESOC Tournaments Reforms & Media Team Going Forward

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

ESOC Tournaments Reforms & Media Team Going Forward

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Hey everyone!

2016 has been a great year for ESOC. We hosted several successful tournaments, some community-made which is awesome to see, and we've already financed the entirety of tournaments in 2017. We hosted two seasonal tournaments in 2016 and even as we succeed, we are always looking for ways to improve. We have a few ideas planned for the next events rules and wanted to share with the community where we are heading. Feel free to leave your opinion in a post, at our facebook, or tweet us at @ESOCommunity

Maps

The tournament admins have selected the map pools for all our events. We don't see that changing as the tournament admin needs to be empowered to provide a diverse competitive event. Maps are one of our biggest levers in keeping AOE fresh.

Now that our ESOC map pool has grown quite large we feel that we can start to layer some player choice into the process in the form of a map veto. We believe this will give players the right level of impact on the map pool without impacting the tournament admins ability to keep the community and viewer interests in mind. More details will be released as soon as the signups to the ESOC Spring Championships 2017 open.

Furthermore we have decided to release the map pool for the entire tournament as soon as the signups open to allow players to prepare their matches and strategies optimally. This, along with the veto system, should give our players a better feeling about the map pools and their role in the process.

The Group Stages

The group stages will remain unchanged for now. We discussed a double elimination system but determined that a double elimination system is an overkill for our already very small player base and that a double elimination system won't work due to the amount of players who actually play after signing up. The group stages will remain as they are right now, we will however moderate if games are being played much more strictly.

The developers of ESOC are currently working on a personal page which should function as your scheduling and tournament hub. We hope this will be ready for the next tournament. As soon as it is ready it will make scheduling a lot easier, and will hopefully result in more games being played.

Media Team

Unfortunately, our dear friend @Jerom has decided to depart both the media team and the moderation team to put his focus on drinking alcohol his real life. He will still be active in game and on the forums for now, but he won't work for ESOC anymore. Jerom was an amazing asset to have on this team and website, and a great friend in times of personal need. Most of the news posts which ESOC tournaments are known for were written by him and he always chimed in with various problems within the team. I think I can speak for the entire team if I say that we will miss Jerom and all of his knowledge about consuming alcohol.

Organizing tournaments, managing the twitch channel, arranging casters and players, uploading and maintaining the youtube channel.. It can get hard sometimes. That's why, along with our recent search for casters, we're now also searching for a trainee or two within the Media Team. We'll teach you the ropes of managing the most successful Age of Empires 3 competitive scene and all of its assets. Interested in applying? Send me (Mr_Bramboy) a PM! There are no specific requirements, but having a little bit of experience and being active in the community greatly helps. (but is not needed!)

Once again, please leave your thoughts about the tournament reforms in a post!
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: ESOC Tournaments Reforms & Media Team Going Forward

Post by iNcog »

ah jerom, you're going to have so much fun on esoc now
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Love the map veto, but sucks as it'll eliminate most water. Jerom was very good, sorry to see him leave his duties. Ha duties
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

This shows a carefully considered and measured incremental approach to improving the tournaments. I think these are great changes and I can't wait to see esoc's next tournament! Maybe once work dies down a bit from the past 6 months I'll be able to participate more actively.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I can't wait to veto Arkansas.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Map pool and map veto, would be an intersting twist. However, I strongly disagree with groups' setting staying as it were. I wouldn't like to encounter similar issues like last tournament.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

What do you propose, then?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

viewtopic.php?f=175&t=7908 @pecelot

EDIT: Also another idea is having larger groups. They give more time for lower level player in tournament. Also have less need for admin wins.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

WickedCossack wrote:I can't wait to veto Arkansas.

SAME.
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: diarouga

Post by Diarouga »

Actually that wouldn't be too good, because people who like unstandard maps will just veto standard maps, not because they don't like them, but because they want to play on unstandard maps.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Diarouga wrote:Actually that wouldn't be too good, because people who like unstandard maps will just veto standard maps, not because they don't like them, but because they want to play on unstandard maps.

So basically what you're saying is that the tournament staff should play favourites towards a certain type or style of map instead of using a pool with a variety of different maps or allowing players to veto maps from this pool?
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

yeromm dont take this too serious.. but ur insane amounth of posts says everything about ur social life ^^
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

True, the number of posts also tells how long of a dick you have :flowers:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Veto is great lol..... Idk what people hating are talking about......
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

pecelot wrote:True, the number of posts also tells how long of a dick you have :flowers:

An inversely proportional relationship? :hehe:
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

forgrin wrote:
pecelot wrote:True, the number of posts also tells how long of a dick you have :flowers:

An inversely proportional relationship? :hehe:

I hope so :unsure:
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Diarouga wrote:Actually that wouldn't be too good, because people who like unstandard maps will just veto standard maps, not because they don't like them, but because they want to play on unstandard maps.

Same applies the other way around.

France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

Mitoe wrote:

So basically what you're saying is that the tournament staff should play favourites towards a certain type or style of map instead of using a pool with a variety of different maps or allowing players to veto maps from this pool?

You mean like you did in the past ;)?
I mean that, in general (in real life too), when you vote for something, you vote for it because you think it is good, and not strategically to annoy the opponent.
I'm pretty sure for example some would veto Arkansas, while they think Arkansas is better than Indonesia, because they know that the opponent is going to veto Indonesia.
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

macacoalbino wrote:

Same applies the other way around.

No, because unstandard players also like standard maps.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

6 man group stage pls
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Jerom wrote:6 man group stage pls

You have no power here.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Diarouga wrote:No, because unstandard players also like standard maps.

ok, i re-read and understand what you're trying to say. I guess it's only an issueif there are too many weird maps to choose from.
I think it's a nice feature in a tourney.
For example, I'm not confortable playing with these ATP civs, so if I could ban High Plains in a tourney it would make it slightly better odds for me to beatmy opponent who plays them. Some players can ban maps like Tibet or Cascade because they don't want to play with low hunts, etc..

France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

macacoalbino wrote:
Diarouga wrote:No, because unstandard players also like standard maps.

ok, i re-read and understand what you're trying to say. I guess it's only an issueif there are too many weird maps to choose from.
I think it's a nice feature in a tourney.
For example, I'm not confortable playing with these ATP civs, so if I could ban High Plains in a tourney it would make it slightly better odds for me to beatmy opponent who plays them. Some players can ban maps like Tibet or Cascade because they don't want to play with low hunts, etc..

Yep but currently more than half of the maps aren't standard so we end up playing an unstandard map.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

yeah, but that is not a problem with the veto system, it's the map pool

France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Diarouga »

macacoalbino wrote:yeah, but that is not a problem with the veto system, it's the map pool

Yes true. They should just reduce the map pool then.