Organizational Update

United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: Organizational Update

Post by evilcheadar »

deleted_user wrote:How am I trivializing frustrations? Please tell me if that is how I came across.

I'm trying to be transparent. I hope you'll be satisfied with the changes we've made as they are very much influenced by accounts such as yours. We're trying, we truly are.

No not you, it was a poster above you. (Starts with J)
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Where is the ESOC council? Why are we not represented!?
Top quality poster.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Laurence Drake wrote:Where is the ESOC council? Why are we not represented!?

If you'd like I have a two page response on the council and it's program I'm willing to release in due time. I believe ESOC criticism be met with a suffiecent response; with (minimally) unbiased reason and a forum open to the continuation of such debate, though I hope you'll see why I possess my reservations with its rhetoric. Nonetheless, I don't think we are as much of enemies as you might think; simply differing philosophies.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

The community demands that the council be involved in all future action taken by the executive committee
Top quality poster.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

It would be interesting if they were more interested in having some council influence.

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Laurence Drake wrote:The community demands that the council be involved in all future action taken by the executive committee

the council community? :hmm:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

evilcheadar wrote:It would be interesting if they were more interested in having some council influence.

Note, the following represents my personal views on the topic and in no way represent ESOC's official stance

I'll flesh out more of my thoughts on this later, but the primary issue with the council is not their underlyimg motif but rather with their practices and (in)ability to act in a manner that would suggest they would like to be taken seriously.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The number one problem is that they try to inpersonate staff. I bet you'd get banned for making a team liquid council just for that reason alone.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

While I like the admin split to reflect better what people do - I don't like the removal of the "moderator" tag. People should be 100% sure who is a moderator and who in the end decides what's allowed or not. And realize that this guy's warning in a thread or PM really does matter.

"ESOC community team" could be anything for a person who didn't read this post, and I don't like that. Why not name moderators moderators? Or does this have something to do with why "town center" is a better description of "off topic" than "off topic" is? Because I never understood that either..

btw "ESOC community team" = "eso-community community team"? :unsure:
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

91 wrote:While I like the admin split to reflect better what people do - I don't like the removal of the "moderator" tag. People should be 100% sure who is a moderator and who in the end decides what's allowed or not. And realize that this guy's warning in a thread or PM really does matter.

"ESOC community team" could be anything for a person who didn't read this post, and I don't like that. Why not name moderators moderators? Or does this have something to do with why "town center" is a better description of "off topic" than "off topic" is? Because I never understood that either..

btw "ESOC community team" = "eso-community community team"? :unsure:

Yea, I'm with you on that town center thing. Should be off topic, where you can make off topic posts.

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The community is so community is basically a community community. Funnily enough that could be interpreted as esoc being only for a community within the community.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

pecelot wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:The community demands that the council be involved in all future action taken by the executive committee

the council community? :hmm:

no, the community council
Top quality poster.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

91 wrote:btw "ESOC community team" = "eso-community community team"? :unsure:

„ESOC" Community Team, so a community team for ESOC site
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

I think the Council should be exclusively involved in a Team called Board of Directors. We will spend the donations in the stock market and issue dividends if needed. We're considering entering the bond market within 2 years for financial sustainability. I've discussed with Morgan Stanley's CFO based in London, and he thinks it's a good idea the Council has got here. Hopefully the less important teams will understand.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

This is a good initiative for raising money for future tournaments.
Top quality poster.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Jerom wrote:
zoom wrote:Who wrote the message in the OP? Who will be making moderating decisions, given the pretense that they do not exist?

I think it is important to ESOC, at this time, to ensure a lack of bias & personal investment in moderating decisions. Moderating on this website continues to frustrate community members, it seems. I would suggest—yet again—that every single moderating decision come with a short text on how to appeal a decision perceived as mishandled. Especially important, is that banning users must be done only when absolutely necessary, by agreement of all staff leadership.

I emphasize, finally, my appreciation for the entirity of ESOC staff, and my acknowledgement of theirs being a sometimes difficult task.

The moderating does indeed 'frustrate' community members, but not due to the reasons you mentioned. It frustrates community members because being frustrated and throwing a tantrum will eventually get you unbanned. The best thing to do when you get banned is create smurf accounts, then stop for a tiny but until you are unbanned. If it doesn't work the first time repeat it a week or two later.
Although your concern and frustration is certainly valid—you would know better than myself—your post gives me the feeling you are also having a hard time understanding the outside perspective. At least that seems the case to me, if you actually believe there is no legitimate community concern with the issue(s). Regardless, I believe that's missing the point, on which I am sure we can all agree:

1. ESOC has room for improvement in the community's standing.
2. Antagonizing and banning community members is the direct opposite to ESOC's interest.
3. There is an alarmingly common perception of ESOC moderating being unfair in consistency and severity. It is a controversial issue.
4. ESOC should try its best to improve the above, fundamentally important areas, independently of anyone else.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Because of the points you mention Zoom, we now have the community team (point 1). We want to take a positive approach and not be only banning policemen (point 2). We are starting with a new moderation policy where we will all agree on and we will have better supervision (point 3 & 4).
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

can I be a mod
Top quality poster.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Since ESOC is a proper business now with a business team, I am considering charging yearly fees for UI 2.0 licenses. Don't worry, I will likely only start doing this next year so that there is plenty of time for you to hire a CFO.

@Mitoe is exempted since it's his birthday, however.
oranges.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

sirmusket wrote:All have 3-4 people in team, then you got GS on his own :( xD
I like it. It's very representative. In fact, it's the most transparent thing ESOC has ever done.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

What will be your main income stream?
[Sith] - Baphomet
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

n0el wrote:Patch team has a lot of people but they aren't staff members. God forbid zoom is a staff member.
Garja bless America and have mercy on Mankl.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Snuden wrote:What will be your main income stream?
Goodspeed, map & UI licences.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

zoom wrote:
Snuden wrote:What will be your main income stream?
Goodspeed, map & UI licences.

So in order to use a specific UI and map, one will have to pay?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

zoom wrote:
Jerom wrote:
zoom wrote:Who wrote the message in the OP? Who will be making moderating decisions, given the pretense that they do not exist?

I think it is important to ESOC, at this time, to ensure a lack of bias & personal investment in moderating decisions. Moderating on this website continues to frustrate community members, it seems. I would suggest—yet again—that every single moderating decision come with a short text on how to appeal a decision perceived as mishandled. Especially important, is that banning users must be done only when absolutely necessary, by agreement of all staff leadership.

I emphasize, finally, my appreciation for the entirity of ESOC staff, and my acknowledgement of theirs being a sometimes difficult task.

The moderating does indeed 'frustrate' community members, but not due to the reasons you mentioned. It frustrates community members because being frustrated and throwing a tantrum will eventually get you unbanned. The best thing to do when you get banned is create smurf accounts, then stop for a tiny but until you are unbanned. If it doesn't work the first time repeat it a week or two later.
Although your concern and frustration is certainly valid—you would know better than myself—your post gives me the feeling you are also having a hard time understanding the outside perspective. At least that seems the case to me, if you actually believe there is no legitimate community concern with the issue(s). Regardless, I believe that's missing the point, on which I am sure we can all agree:

1. ESOC has room for improvement in the community's standing.
2. Antagonizing and banning community members is the direct opposite to ESOC's interest.
3. There is an alarmingly common perception of ESOC moderating being unfair in consistency and severity. It is a controversial issue.
4. ESOC should try its best to improve the above, fundamentally important areas, independently of anyone else.

I honestly only agree with point number one, from my position as community member that wants an aoe themed forum I think moderation getting stricter is in the best interests of all except those that wish this wasn't actually about aoe.