Site Feature Changelog

No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Re: Site Feature Changelog

Post by ssaraf »

Gendarme wrote:Mostly because they were perceived as annoying when browsing the forum - they stood out too much.

WHO told they were annoying, its a UI design issue , the end user review matters. Maybe do a poll or something. The earlier ones were soo much better. XDD
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

The change was my idea. I was so annoyed by the bright-colored icons that I stopped visiting the site. The bright colors severely distracted from the site's actual content and detracted from the overall design, in my opinion. I'm very open to suggestions on the AoE:O icon -- I don't yet think it's recognizable enough. Most of the dev team seemed to agree with me, and I feel that typically our design changes get either little user feedback or positive feedback. I think I've tried seeking input before making a change before, but with little success (no one is interested until we change something in a way they dislike!)

If it does turn out that the majority of users very strongly liked the colored icons, I will be surprised, but I would certainly consider reverting it or considering more middle-ground ideas if that was the case.
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

Isn't attraction towards twitch streams a good thing?

See, I rarely comment on the site changes. But, those logos were really looking good and I liked the bright colored stuff (in contrast with the site's monotonous , but consistent design). I mean, the brown theme of the site is good and consistent, but those stream logos kind of highlighted the fact that "Hey, something LIVE is going on".

Maybe, you can reconsider this or somehow ask the masses. Anyways, its a request :)

musketeer925 wrote: I feel that typically our design changes get either little user feedback or positive feedback. I think I've tried seeking input before making a change before, but with little success (no one is interested until we change something in a way they dislike!).

Maybe consider this as feedback :D
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

ssaraf wrote:Isn't attraction towards twitch streams a good thing?

See, I rarely comment on the site changes. But, those logos were really looking good and I liked the bright colored stuff (in contrast with the site's monotonous , but consistent design). I mean, the brown theme of the site is good and consistent, but those stream logos kind of highlighted the fact that "Hey, something LIVE is going on".

Maybe, you can reconsider this or somehow ask the masses. Anyways, its a request :)

musketeer925 wrote: I feel that typically our design changes get either little user feedback or positive feedback. I think I've tried seeking input before making a change before, but with little success (no one is interested until we change something in a way they dislike!).

Your feedback is definitely appreciated! Happy to talk about it. I agree that Twitch streams are important, and it's cool to point out when something live is going on, but it seems to be there are ALWAYS at least one or two people streaming -- it's not really something terribly exciting when there's always one there, is it? Plus, highlighting low-viewer count, low-quality (honestly the viewer count generally follows the stream quality pretty well) streams dilutes it when a good stream is on.

Maybe we could do something where Twitch streams above a certain viewer count threshold get special coloring / colored icons / etc. I think that'd be a good way to highlight the important streams without it being super distracting all the time. I'm not sure, however, what a good threshold would be. Around 50? 30?

I also agree getting some more color on the site is good. The brown site *is* pretty bland. However, I think it has to be done in a thoughtful way that doesn't feel too out of place. Slapping color on without too much thought as to what's really important feels like it's 1999.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

musketeer925 wrote:
ssaraf wrote:Isn't attraction towards twitch streams a good thing?

Your feedback is definitely appreciated! Happy to talk about it. I agree that Twitch streams are important, and it's cool to point out when something live is going on, but it seems to be there are ALWAYS at least one or two people streaming -- it's not really something terribly exciting when there's always one there, is it? Plus, highlighting low-viewer count, low-quality (honestly the viewer count generally follows the stream quality pretty well) streams dilutes it when a good stream is on.

Maybe we could do something where Twitch streams above a certain viewer count threshold get special coloring / colored icons / etc. I think that'd be a good way to highlight the important streams without it being super distracting all the time. I'm not sure, however, what a good threshold would be. Around 50? 30?

I also agree getting some more color on the site is good. The brown site *is* pretty bland. However, I think it has to be done in a thoughtful way that doesn't feel too out of place. Slapping color on without too much thought as to what's really important feels like it's 1999.

I think if it went to brown at 25 viewers and then a nice gold or something at 50 would be pretty sweet. I agree that's generally how the quality is reflected. A lot of the regular decent streamers who maybe aren't the highest lvl gameplay often pull around 25ish, while the tourneys and the top tier players with good quality streams will usually pull in much more.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

IAmSoldieR wrote:I even bet you are thinking of ways to automate the map vetos (I suspect you have to manually do that now)

This is already semi-automated. Myesoc scans the thread for "veto x" and replaces the maps image with a gray version. This is prone to failure though if people say things like "wow I wonder if he is going to veto x", but it works most of the time.

Devs have been amazing in the past few months. Thanks to all!
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Many of you have probably noticed this cute cogwheel that recently managed to sneak its way into the stream section. This post will serve as an official introduction and welcome to our new friend.

The stream section now has filters to allow us to choose which game or games to show in the stream list. The two buttons provide us with four settings:

- show both AoE3 and AoEO streams
    - show AoE3 streams; hide AoEO streams
    - show AoEO streams; hide AoE3 streams
    - hide both AoE3 and AoEO streams

These settings are saved in our browsers' local storage (if supported) and are thus permanent. That is, until we change them again with the click of a button.

The filter functionality is not only useful for streams, and might pop up elsewhere in the (near?) future. Our cogwheel-friend might not seem like much, but he serves as a reminder to us all that there is still hope, that there is much yet to be discovered, that one day we can triumph in the footsteps of our fallen fathers, that we will - at last - be liberated! Cheers.
Pay more attention to detail.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Welp, so this hasn't been solved:
Dolan wrote:@musketeer925 It makes sense to be so, because the links assigned to those buttons have a padding of 17px 10px, which means the height includes 17px*2 + font size (13px, inherited from the body). You get 47px, when the container, the top bar, has a fixed size of 45px. Also links have a min-height of 45px, which means they might get adjusted to a higher value.

Try this, change the links properties to this:

Code: Select all

.Navigation__link {
    display: block;
    height: 45px;
    line-height: 45px;
    box-sizing: border-box;
    padding: 0px 10px;
    color: #ebe5b9;
    vertical-align: middle;
}

Then you could re-adjust the social icons to this setting:

.Social__icon {
    padding: 17px 10px 14px;
    color: #ebe5b9;
}

Though, personally, I don't like this solution. Both types of links should be included in a flex container, this would make using padding to fix issues of alignment unnecessary.
Still, it seems to work, so it could be used as a temporary solution. I would rework both to use a flex container, though.

And then there's this:
Capture.PNG

Which could be fixed by making some changed to the .like class

.like {
    /* height: 14px!important; */
    color: black!important;
    line-height: 16px;
}

It's just a bunch of CSS, I know you can fix it.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

@Dolan I cannot reproduce either issue on blink nor gecko, both seem solved to me. Maybe try cleaning cache or share more information about your setup on which this happens.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@EAGLEMUT

Well, it's not a big deal and I didn't raise this issue, someone else did, but here's how it looks like in latest Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Edge.

Capture1.PNG

Capture.PNG

The like button issue seems solved now, not sure why it wasn't displaying right. I don't think it was a cache problem.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

This one I too can see, but I'm not even convinced it's a bug. Just makes the hovered item stand out a bit more, looks like a feature to me!
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

BBCode for Imgur albums and galleries (what's the difference anyway?) have been fixed/created.

Imgur album: [imgur-album]https://imgur.com/a/XWOUI[/imgur-albu​m]

Imgur gallery: [imgur-gallery]https://imgur.com/gallery/XWOUI[/imgur-galler​y]

Let's make good use of them in the screenshots sharing thread!
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Fixing recorded-games.php
There might be some issues but at least it's functionnal again (adding new Recorded games on the forum will be automatically added in the rec page).
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Hey guys,

As I am actually participating in betting this time, I got tired of trying to find the full tournament history of a player, so I added a panel to the profile that shows previous tournament participation and results:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=307

I've got more plans to make it better, but wanted to get a rough thing out for people to use.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Nice :o
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

musketeer925 wrote:Hey guys,

As I am actually participating in betting this time, I got tired of trying to find the full tournament history of a player, so I added a panel to the profile that shows previous tournament participation and results:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=307

I've got more plans to make it better, but wanted to get a rough thing out for people to use.

Could be nice if there was an expandable list for yt videos + recs on the forums
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Ashvin wrote:Could be nice if there was an expandable list for yt videos + recs on the forums

Thanks for the suggestion. Was intending to do this but forgot. The JSON data I'm pulling already has those links in it, just need to write some more Javascript to actually put in in the UI.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

ez4java
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

zoom wrote:ez4java

Java ≠ Javascript
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Successful bait!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Ashvin wrote:

Java ≠ Javascript
Java is an island, stupid.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

zoom wrote:
Ashvin wrote:

Java ≠ Javascript
Java is an island, stupid.

You really gotta sue your English teacher, zoi :kinggreen:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Zoo that skanke-hoe good.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Oh btw guys can you do something so that posting is done without reloading the entire page(maybe consuming an API through jQuery or sth and not PHP)? it will definitely improve the user experience.
@EAGLEMUT @Buckethead
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Ashvin wrote:Oh btw guys can you do something so that posting is done without reloading the entire page(maybe consuming an API through jQuery or sth and not PHP)? it will definitely improve the user experience.
@EAGLEMUT @Buckethead

Sounds like a lot of work for a minor UX improvement, tbh.