switching to ESOC ELO?

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: switching to ESOC ELO?

Post by Garja »

momuuu wrote:I do know the EP ladder thing was planned a long time ago, the quicksearch argument was never really given. The ladder was specifically made with this goal in mind, and thus they made a seperate EP ladder. If they had had the qs EP ladder in mind, they probably would have made a seperate EP QS ladder, wouldn't they? It wasn't tried because it wasn't planned and isn't tried because the code is not even in place for it. As to why the EP ladder wasn't tried: I think it was decided that the ladder needs quite a bit of time to reach a decent point of equilibrium. It's been a year (or something like that) and the ladder has only barely reached a stable point (and honestly, I'm not sure the EP ladder has). If you were to force a quicksearch ladder right now, you'd need at least a year for it to reach stability and be useful.

Err no. QS with ladder was planned the moment we started discussing about the rated and the qs map pools. There isn't any extra code needed really because it all works around the maps.
Actually I don't see any increase in EP activity. More specifically, the playerbase of people that play EP at all doesn't seem to have increased and is (as I mentioned a post up) still very small. I also think there have been more esoc events, that were also more regular, before the ladder was released than afterwards. As far as numbers go theres this figure: There are less people watching tournament streams now than before the ladder was released. In the light of that fact it's not possible to simply conclude that 'people are getting used to esoc'.

That has nothing to do with the EP, really. It's just the game losing players overall, especially after the remakes were announced.
The fact that the EP activity increased (and it actually did with the last patch iteration) despite the overall game decline is a good sign.

I don't know if the rating problem is easily solved. The EP ladder is not very accurate right now actually. For example, MCJim (at best a low captain) has a higher ELO than Yurashic (lt col?) and Hwoarang (major-lt col?) or than me (while I think I lost one out of maybe 20 games we played together). Bwinner (beat hwoarang in 2nd chance) is below 1600 ELO for example, and stanley winston (lt col) is even further below 1600 elo. You're in top 5 elo, while I think even you yourself know that it's odd to place you way above Lordraphael, Mitoe and Kaiserklein. Kynesie is rocking a 1620 ELO or something. Look tom (major, at least) has 1400 ELO lol. Macaco_albino (surely a major) is rocking 1500. Masterchif is well below 1600 too. Marco (captain at least) is below pikilic (master sergeant) at the moment. At the moment, the entire ladder represents literally nothing, and we've had this ladder for a long time now. Going way over the top with EP QS will mean you'll have an absolutely meaningless ladder. The community is too small for EP QS to work, you need to specifically reach out to people to play an EP game. If you force EP QS to seed people right now, you'll simply be seeding people that managed to get lucky. For example, I could easily feed my pr on RE and then play EP QS (if this even sorta became a thing) at =-4 pr range from a 1st lt perspective or maybe even as a pr 23 or sth. Then, I'll only be facing 1st lts and captains, which means I'll be easily winning 90% of my games. The difference in elo won't be large though, and I'll just be taking elo from those at 1600 ELO (which probably is them being overrated at that point, since they'll be at the bottom of the community) which can easily result in me just taking the number one spot on the ladder when the first tournament happens. That'll just be nonsense, don't you think. It will get a lot of people angry when someone like h2O is in group stages while some random captain that played a bit against other captains/1st lts and did well will be seeded in the RO32. To be honest, I think the community playing EP is too small (its 16 pages comapred to 1600 pages of official ladder) for the system to really work properly. At best you can maybe sustain 1800 elo and at worst you'll get to 1300 or something, and then one game will just matter too much.

What you're refering to here is not accuracy. The EP ladder is already fairly accurate, without any specific incentive to use it. For sure it is better than the RE ladder which has lot of noise from old ratings, to cheaters, to uncompetitive conditions and so on.
I mean, the examples you make are simply due to the fact that those guys didn't play much games at all. In that sense, it is just fair that someone with 5x the games of another player and against a larger variety of players has a higher elo. If those players start playing just a bit more the elo fixes very quickly.
Basically the EP ladder is simply more volatile at the moment, which is totally fine given that its employment hasn't been encouraged whatsoever. And comparing it to the JP ladder is pointless because that one is running from 2010 when the player base was also way bigger. If we just clear up the RE ladder and restart it we get exactly the same volatility of the EP ladder except the ladder wouldn't be legit at all, with all the cheater, shit maps, shit MUs, etc.
Also, we should start thinking of elo as something temporary and not set in stone. If one player is more active at the moment there is a good chance he's actually performing better. This concept also opens up to periodic resets of the ladder, which again can be used to run ESOC events.

I think it seems pretty evident how switching to EP QS elo only right now is silly. If you want to do it, you at the very least need to make an EP QS ELO and let it settle for a bit, but for that you'll need people to play on it which isn't happening and won't happen. It could be a tiny incentive, but to be honest in practise there usually aren't even 3 people on EP. You host, then someone sees that game and hops on over. Sitting in quicksearch for long times (while keeping an eye on it so you dont go ingame while afk) seems like something nobody would do. It just won't work.

Well QS is in place exactly to avoid the wait. None likes to whisper people all the time to get games. Point is, again, that in order to populate QS you need to force people somehow. And the strongest incentive has always been tourneys. It's a simple prisoner dilemma game. Player would all be better if they were playing on the EP but since everyone thinks for itself none is going to host/wait on the EP so they end up playing on the RE patch, which is the suboptimal outcome. We just need an exogenous coordination method.
and by the way, your skecptiscism is misplaced I think. Everyone was saying the same about EP maps and guess what, now we're using EP maps almost exclusively. Same thing for the EP itself.
I mean, those kind of decision must be taken by people with vision. Good analytics and vision, actually. With your low profile and skeptical attitude we wouldn't have a competitive scene at all.

edeholland wrote:I think that will just mean we lose 50% of our tournament sign-ups.

See, this is what I'm talking about. This is simply not true. The only way we can possibly fail with this is if we don't give enough time to the mechanism to start working properly.
Mine was just an example. It hasn't to be exactly the next tourney. But in future we need to use the EP ladder as an asset for ESOC growth, otherwise not only we are missing huge growth opportunities but we are also making the ladder useless.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

If you try to force people to switch, its just gonna isolate more of the community. I know if I couldn't find a game in ep qs in under a minute or two I just wouldnt bother playing in any more tourneys.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

edeholland wrote:
Gendarme wrote:Why lose signups? Because of worse seeding? AFAIK only Somppu cares about seeding.

Because most people can't be bothered to play 30 Quick Search games on EP in order to sign up.

30 games is literally nothing if the system works properly, which it will with enough incentives.
30 games can be done in one month with 7-8 games per week. In two months with 4 games per week.
In general, I think you're understimating the effect of providing a functional platform even for mid-low level players.
Also, I agree there could be some drop-off but that would just be a natural way to prune players that will inevitably forget to schedule anyway.
gibson wrote:If you try to force people to switch, its just gonna isolate more of the community. I know if I couldn't find a game in ep qs in under a minute or two I just wouldnt bother playing in any more tourneys.

The isolation argument has been brought several times since the old ASFP and it has never proven right. Every time there is enough incentive (e.g enough money on the line or simply a spike in activity due to a tourney) people consistently switch over to play the custom patch. As long as the system technically works people will move accodingly.
Image Image Image
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

momuuu wrote:
gibson wrote:@momuuu you missed the pr 10 whos sitting at 1650 elo :flowers:

really?

lmao ladder.php?patch=esoc&type=supremacy&mode=1v1&player=D_PR0v1d3r
top50 player.

shhh before osmane sees this!
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:Why lose signups? Because of worse seeding? AFAIK only Somppu cares about seeding.

None of the top players want to schedule group stage games vs master sergeants who probably don't show up - trust me.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

somppukunkku wrote:

None of the top players want to schedule group stage games vs master sergeants who probably don't show up - trust me.

I can confirm.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@Garja ofc if there's insentive people will switch. Point is for your average low level player, playing in tournaments isn't insentive. Hell, most of the aoe3 community doesn't even know tournaments happen.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Those players are simply out of the scope of the EP, the EP ladder and everything related. Basically if we manage to somehow involve most of the people that gravitate around ESOC we are fine.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Doesn't matter. You can't have an accurate rating system if it excludes 75% of the players.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Why is there a 30-game requirement?! I really don't get it.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Garja wrote:
momuuu wrote:I do know the EP ladder thing was planned a long time ago, the quicksearch argument was never really given. The ladder was specifically made with this goal in mind, and thus they made a seperate EP ladder. If they had had the qs EP ladder in mind, they probably would have made a seperate EP QS ladder, wouldn't they? It wasn't tried because it wasn't planned and isn't tried because the code is not even in place for it. As to why the EP ladder wasn't tried: I think it was decided that the ladder needs quite a bit of time to reach a decent point of equilibrium. It's been a year (or something like that) and the ladder has only barely reached a stable point (and honestly, I'm not sure the EP ladder has). If you were to force a quicksearch ladder right now, you'd need at least a year for it to reach stability and be useful.

Err no. QS with ladder was planned the moment we started discussing about the rated and the qs map pools. There isn't any extra code needed really because it all works around the maps.
Simply false. When EP QS was made possible (very first iteration of EP), the ESOC Ladder was not even a plan yet. The first mention of EP ladder is 22 march of 2016, more than a half year after EP was released.
Actually I don't see any increase in EP activity. More specifically, the playerbase of people that play EP at all doesn't seem to have increased and is (as I mentioned a post up) still very small. I also think there have been more esoc events, that were also more regular, before the ladder was released than afterwards. As far as numbers go theres this figure: There are less people watching tournament streams now than before the ladder was released. In the light of that fact it's not possible to simply conclude that 'people are getting used to esoc'.
That has nothing to do with the EP, really. It's just the game losing players overall, especially after the remakes were announced.

The fact that the EP activity increased (and it actually did with the last patch iteration) despite the overall game decline is a good sign.

This statement is based on hot air. There are no facts backing your statement up and intuitively I'd say its simply wrong (although that cannot be proven I think).

I don't know if the rating problem is easily solved. The EP ladder is not very accurate right now actually. For example, MCJim (at best a low captain) has a higher ELO than Yurashic (lt col?) and Hwoarang (major-lt col?) or than me (while I think I lost one out of maybe 20 games we played together). Bwinner (beat hwoarang in 2nd chance) is below 1600 ELO for example, and stanley winston (lt col) is even further below 1600 elo. You're in top 5 elo, while I think even you yourself know that it's odd to place you way above Lordraphael, Mitoe and Kaiserklein. Kynesie is rocking a 1620 ELO or something. Look tom (major, at least) has 1400 ELO lol. Macaco_albino (surely a major) is rocking 1500. Masterchif is well below 1600 too. Marco (captain at least) is below pikilic (master sergeant) at the moment. At the moment, the entire ladder represents literally nothing, and we've had this ladder for a long time now. Going way over the top with EP QS will mean you'll have an absolutely meaningless ladder. The community is too small for EP QS to work, you need to specifically reach out to people to play an EP game. If you force EP QS to seed people right now, you'll simply be seeding people that managed to get lucky. For example, I could easily feed my pr on RE and then play EP QS (if this even sorta became a thing) at =-4 pr range from a 1st lt perspective or maybe even as a pr 23 or sth. Then, I'll only be facing 1st lts and captains, which means I'll be easily winning 90% of my games. The difference in elo won't be large though, and I'll just be taking elo from those at 1600 ELO (which probably is them being overrated at that point, since they'll be at the bottom of the community) which can easily result in me just taking the number one spot on the ladder when the first tournament happens. That'll just be nonsense, don't you think. It will get a lot of people angry when someone like h2O is in group stages while some random captain that played a bit against other captains/1st lts and did well will be seeded in the RO32. To be honest, I think the community playing EP is too small (its 16 pages comapred to 1600 pages of official ladder) for the system to really work properly. At best you can maybe sustain 1800 elo and at worst you'll get to 1300 or something, and then one game will just matter too much.

What you're refering to here is not accuracy. The EP ladder is already fairly accurate, without any specific incentive to use it. For sure it is better than the RE ladder which has lot of noise from old ratings, to cheaters, to uncompetitive conditions and so on.
I mean, the examples you make are simply due to the fact that those guys didn't play much games at all. In that sense, it is just fair that someone with 5x the games of another player and against a larger variety of players has a higher elo. If those players start playing just a bit more the elo fixes very quickly.
Basically the EP ladder is simply more volatile at the moment, which is totally fine given that its employment hasn't been encouraged whatsoever. And comparing it to the JP ladder is pointless because that one is running from 2010 when the player base was also way bigger. If we just clear up the RE ladder and restart it we get exactly the same volatility of the EP ladder except the ladder wouldn't be legit at all, with all the cheater, shit maps, shit MUs, etc.
Also, we should start thinking of elo as something temporary and not set in stone. If one player is more active at the moment there is a good chance he's actually performing better. This concept also opens up to periodic resets of the ladder, which again can be used to run ESOC events.

First of all, you don't get the point lol. This entire thread started out with me saying the JP ladder is bad and now you're using that as an argument to counter me lol. The problem is literally that nobody has played many games. Honestly, the problem is that there's simply not enough of a playerbase for a succesful EP ladder I think. I fear that at least. But thats not even the thing, the thing is that after a year and still quite a few games this EP ladder failed to reach a reliable state. Imagine how long it would take if you start an EP QS ladder. My point is that for the first half a year the EP QS ladder is just going to be useless, and thus cannot be enforced. It's awfully naive to think people will wait 40 minutes in qs to get a game going with a random civ match up on a random map just to get their seed up in esoc tournament games, and it's also terribly naive to think that people won't be outraged by the simply atrocious seeds that it will give in the next tournament, which is basically inevitable given the time it takes for a ladder to stabilize and be representative.

I think it seems pretty evident how switching to EP QS elo only right now is silly. If you want to do it, you at the very least need to make an EP QS ELO and let it settle for a bit, but for that you'll need people to play on it which isn't happening and won't happen. It could be a tiny incentive, but to be honest in practise there usually aren't even 3 people on EP. You host, then someone sees that game and hops on over. Sitting in quicksearch for long times (while keeping an eye on it so you dont go ingame while afk) seems like something nobody would do. It just won't work.

Well QS is in place exactly to avoid the wait. None likes to whisper people all the time to get games. Point is, again, that in order to populate QS you need to force people somehow. And the strongest incentive has always been tourneys. It's a simple prisoner dilemma game. Player would all be better if they were playing on the EP but since everyone thinks for itself none is going to host/wait on the EP so they end up playing on the RE patch, which is the suboptimal outcome. We just need an exogenous coordination method.

Waiting on QS is terrible because you would need to pay attention to the game 100% of the time due to the risk of going ingame while afk. Hosting is much better when you need to wait for a few minutes as you can be slightly distracted. The point is, again, that if you force QS you'll just get a disfunctional system for half a year or a year that literally means nothing, and then you can't do tournament seeds and I don't even see how that would be an incentive for people to properly ladder. If anything, it will be an incentive for people to abuse the system (which would be really easy as I already explained) and at that point people will probably quickly disregard its value. It's straight up stupid to think that this will actually make more people play EP. At best, it will make more people play rated on EP but I strongly doubt that one. It has so many practical problems that you straight up disregard (you've not actually argued against any of my arguments) because you think your ideal idea of how things work is right while it's incorrect. Recall that you also thought everyone would basically switch to EP in your ridiculous theoretical world of thought.
and by the way, your skecptiscism is misplaced I think. Everyone was saying the same about EP maps and guess what, now we're using EP maps almost exclusively. Same thing for the EP itself.
I mean, those kind of decision must be taken by people with vision. Good analytics and vision, actually. With your low profile and skeptical attitude we wouldn't have a competitive scene at all.

I don't recall anyone saying the same thing about EP maps to be fair, I wasn't even around then. But it's not true that people are using EP exclusively now. If you really think that then you're simply devoid of any logic. With my low profile (lol what the fuck does this even mean?) and skeptical attitude we wouldn't have a competitive scene at all... That's just a retarded statement. All I have to say about that.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

gibson wrote:Doesn't matter. You can't have an accurate rating system if it excludes 75% of the players.

Of course you can? First of all, the rating is EP only so the the total number of players is determined exclusively by how many of them play on the EP.
Second, honestly even the JP ladder has sense till like the 200th page or so (out of 2600). Besides that it's just noise.
I don't know why you're bring this up, frankly. Like "the community" is of course a very different concept than the "playerbase". 99% of the playerbase probably doesn't even know there is a ladder in the first place, so why even bother considering them.

Gendarme wrote:Why is there a 30-game requirement?! I really don't get it.

30 was just a number. Basically we need some threshold so that ranking is somewhat accurate. Also it is needed so that players stick around for some time on the patch.
Image Image Image
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Such a great TRETA we have here.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@Garja if you think you can have an accurate rating system without a majority of the player base you clearly don't understand the point of a ranking system and/or how they work and I'm not going to bother explaining it to you. Look at ranking systems in other games and you'll see why.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

gibson wrote:@Garja if you think you can have an accurate rating system without a majority of the player base you clearly don't understand the point of a ranking system and/or how they work and I'm not going to bother explaining it to you. Look at ranking systems in other games and you'll see why.

Uhmm... Because other games have more players :?:
[Sith] - Baphomet
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Other games do have more players, thank you for that very insightful piece of info.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

momuuu wrote:Simply false. When EP QS was made possible (very first iteration of EP), the ESOC Ladder was not even a plan yet. The first mention of EP ladder is 22 march of 2016, more than a half year after EP was released.

Yes, it took quite some time to make the EP ladder, and yes it wasn't done exclusively for qs. But QS was already considered as a way to use the ladder because it grants random conditions to compare ratings.
This statement is based on hot air. There are no facts backing your statement up and intuitively I'd say its simply wrong (although that cannot be proven I think).

Facts is just look at the game browser and the EP ladder? I've been playing EP exclusively for the whole duration of the tourney, vs pr25+ players with pr25- players sometimes joining my room. I also noticed lot more EP rooms going down in the game browser. Thing is when you sit on the game lobby for quite a while you inevitably get a much better picture of the activity in the game than just speculating on forums.
But anyway I agree, it would be nice to have some data to make stats about EP activity.
First of all, you don't get the point lol. This entire thread started out with me saying the JP ladder is bad and now you're using that as an argument to counter me lol. The problem is literally that nobody has played many games. Honestly, the problem is that there's simply not enough of a playerbase for a succesful EP ladder I think. I fear that at least. But thats not even the thing, the thing is that after a year and still quite a few games this EP ladder failed to reach a reliable state. Imagine how long it would take if you start an EP QS ladder. My point is that for the first half a year the EP QS ladder is just going to be useless, and thus cannot be enforced. It's awfully naive to think people will wait 40 minutes in qs to get a game going with a random civ match up on a random map just to get their seed up in esoc tournament games, and it's also terribly naive to think that people won't be outraged by the simply atrocious seeds that it will give in the next tournament, which is basically inevitable given the time it takes for a ladder to stabilize and be representative.

I'm only bringing up the JP ladder because you said you want to join EP and RE ladder which is a terrible idea. RE ladder is crap for multiple reason, let's stay miles away from that.
As for your actual point I think I got it, I simply disagree. I simply believe there is enough of a playerbase and I believe there would be enough activity with proper incentives. Plus I think current EP ladder is fine, considering that zero incentives were given to actually play on it extensively.
I also don't think it would take 40 mins to find a game on the EP QS (doen't take 40 min even with hosted room for pr30+ players) while at the same time I'd like to point out that the average wait is considrably long even on the RE patch. Obviously, RE QS speeds things up and that's exactly what I expect the EP QS to do if it gets popular. How do we make it popular? With coordination methods like forcing incentives.
As for the seeds, people get what they deserve. If you care enough to outrage then you care enough to play a number of games on the EP to qualify for the seedings. You look at it as if the ladder takes a lot to stabilize, which is not true. If all players get 100+ rated games then the ladder will already reflect the actual player ranking faithfully. And honestly 100 rated games is not that much, it's basically 6 months of playing for the average active player (5 games per week). And this is a very conservative prediction in many ways.
Waiting on QS is terrible because you would need to pay attention to the game 100% of the time due to the risk of going ingame while afk. Hosting is much better when you need to wait for a few minutes as you can be slightly distracted. The point is, again, that if you force QS you'll just get a disfunctional system for half a year or a year that literally means nothing, and then you can't do tournament seeds and I don't even see how that would be an incentive for people to properly ladder. If anything, it will be an incentive for people to abuse the system (which would be really easy as I already explained) and at that point people will probably quickly disregard its value. It's straight up stupid to think that this will actually make more people play EP. At best, it will make more people play rated on EP but I strongly doubt that one. It has so many practical problems that you straight up disregard (you've not actually argued against any of my arguments) because you think your ideal idea of how things work is right while it's incorrect. Recall that you also thought everyone would basically switch to EP in your ridiculous theoretical world of thought.

So, why people like QS on RE then? the difference is just about the waiting time, not the modality.
Also, personally I'm fine with ladder using w/e rated game just like it is now. QS is just a way to improve the activity on the EP based on the fact that people prefer to just queue up on QS. And this is a rather safe assumption because, again, it's clear that people can't be bothered to ask other people to play every time. They would very much prefer to just click in and find games. If you fail to acknowledge this, then we are discussing for nothing (and I wouldn't be surprised).
I don't see what's disfunctional about a QS ladder when in fact it adjusts rather quickly as long as people play rated on the EP. Again, just because your experience has been diffeent, it doesn't mean that players are not playing rated.
I never said, everyone would switch to the EP. I said something more like that everyone relevant to the competitive community would acknowledge the EP and play on it. And I think were are now very close to that. A lot more people now knows about ESOC tourneys and the EP. Also the EP maps. We are at a point where basically AOE3 = ESOC. Basically by removing ESOC you would remove 60% or so of the global AOE3 activity in terms of high level games played and high level content on the internet (twitch streams, youtube videos, etc.).

I don't recall anyone saying the same thing about EP maps to be fair, I wasn't even around then. But it's not true that people are using EP exclusively now. If you really think that then you're simply devoid of any logic. With my low profile (lol what the fuck does this even mean?) and skeptical attitude we wouldn't have a competitive scene at all... That's just a retarded statement. All I have to say about that.

Basically, just like for everything, everyone was skeptical to the adoption of custom maps for tourneys and such. After one year, all supremacy tourneys were based on custom ESOC maps. After that, we started using EP exclusively for tourneys. Later on the treaty community started to use custom maps named ESOC and they joined the EP project as well.
Aside from the tourney scene, players from a certain level and on are indeed using EP maps almost exclusively. Like, even capt+ 3v3s are played on the EP more times than not. And it is actually complicate to get 6 players of around same level at the same time with current game activity. In general the rate of adoption of the EP is now at its peak, despite the overall decrease in the playerbase.
As for the low profile attitude, it just means that if you don't try to introduce new things without some risk involved, you never get things to evolve.
Image Image Image
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

somppukunkku wrote:

Indeed. The attitude among many participants seems despicable.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

gibson wrote:@Garja if you think you can have an accurate rating system without a majority of the player base you clearly don't understand the point of a ranking system and/or how they work and I'm not going to bother explaining it to you. Look at ranking systems in other games and you'll see why.

Maybe re-read my post?
1) The playerbase is determinted exclusively by who plays the EP if it is an EP ladder. This means that whoever is not playing on the EP (however good he is) simply doesn't get ranked. The moment he starts playing on the EP is the moment he gets ranked. Then, as soon as he reaches a certain number of games (threshold) he also gets the right to get seeded as his rank can be considered legit.
Honestly if the initial volatility bothers you guys so much then we could just hide the rank of a each player until he plays X games. Doesn't SC2 uses a 5 games placement method anymore to assign the initial league?
2) 99% of the actual ladder doesn't matter. Just pick Chess Elo ladder. does it even matter what happens at lower levels? I mean those players are so close to the entry level (which is necessarily rather low) that being active or inactive doesn't make too much of a difference.
In the aoe3 world this means for example that on the Jp ladder anything below 1800 elo doesn't really matter, with 1600 being the entry level. Even if that range includes thousands of players. And the reason is simply that the top 1% players just play against each other so their rating of each of those players depends exclusively on the rating of the rest of the 1%.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Garja wrote:
momuuu wrote:Simply false. When EP QS was made possible (very first iteration of EP), the ESOC Ladder was not even a plan yet. The first mention of EP ladder is 22 march of 2016, more than a half year after EP was released.

Yes, it took quite some time to make the EP ladder, and yes it wasn't done exclusively for qs. But QS was already considered as a way to use the ladder because it grants random conditions to compare ratings.

If it was done with QS EP ladder specifically in mind, then why didn't they actually do anything related to that when coding the maps? I refuse to believe your conclusion, that has so far been based on you perceiving yourself as an authority.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I believe for the very reason why the EP ladder hasn't been employed officially yet. The guy who was workin on the ladder left.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Fair enough
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Garja wrote:I believe for the very reason why the EP ladder hasn't been employed officially yet. The guy who was workin on the ladder left.

We were 2 working on the EP ladder. Most of the work was made by Buckethead. I did the front-end part and the ep games recognition part injected in ep maps. Since Bucket left, no one has made something to improve the EP ladder 1.0 version.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

gibson wrote:Doesn't matter. You can't have an accurate rating system if it excludes 75% of the players.
Sure you can. It comes down to sample size, doesn't it?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

momuuu wrote:This ladder we have is a great, highly functional piece of code that we should be using over the current trash ladder.

Full disclosure: The ESOC Elo Ladder core service codebase is barely running, abandoned by the original developer, and costs ESOC a fortune to run. The core codebase has been unmaintained for the past 7 months and contains critical bugs which are occasionally causing the whole ESOC infrastructure to malfunction/shut down. Pretty much any time you've lately seen ESOC not responding or struggling to serve requests was due to the ladder, not some DDoS attack this time.

Right now I'm hoping to get things into a sustainable state so that we can even continue offering the current functionality, but it's a real possibility that we'll have to make a decision to shut the service down.

Pecelot wrote:It was supposed to be so right when the ESOC Ladders were launched, but it wasn't taken too seriously due to the issue of them not being able to recognise whether the game was played on EP or not, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fixed, unfortunately.
This issue was on the patch's side and we were able to fix it in the current version; 4.1.0.0. Ladder should recognize patches correctly now.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player