ECL Reigning Champs

Request to remove the Off Topic section

Post by gibson »

I see some quality shit there
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Removing the off-topic section is a no-brainer IMHO.
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

This community would die without off-topic tbqh.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

In my opinion it is fine that off topic is there, but off topic threads need to have some form of quality. Random shit is nothing but hurtful for a community in my opinion. There needs to be a certain amount of quality content in a section for it to be worth it.

Which is why Id be happy with slightly stricter moderation in regards to pure shitposting.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

jerom wrote:In my opinion it is fine that off topic is there, but off topic threads need to have some form of quality. Random shit is nothing but hurtful for a community in my opinion. There needs to be a certain amount of quality content in a section for it to be worth it.

Which is why Id be happy with slightly stricter moderation in regards to pure shitposting.

Pretty much agree with this. Honestly this is our plan in the future, just crack down a bit more on spam and posts with little content. I guess it''s kind of like flaming: a little is nice but if it starts getting too ridiculous it only annoys other people.

The off topic though has had a lot of good and interesting discussions in it.

Edit: Nonetheless, we won''t be banning people who aren''t popular posters. If such posters outright annoy other users (be it with spam or flaming), we''ll first send them a PM to tell them to calm it down. We''ll only ever start warning and suspending users if such offenses are repeated, our warnings ignored and those users just piss everyone off.

In order to raise the quality of posting, I guess we''ll just start locking threads a >bit< more readily.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ā†‘
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

incog wrote:Edit: Nonetheless, we won''t be banning people who aren''t popular posters.
So if I made myself unpopular, I''ll never get banned?
India Nymphomaniac
Dragoon

Post by Nymphomaniac »

frycookofdoom wrote:
incog wrote:Edit: Nonetheless, we wont be banning people who arent popular posters.
So if I made myself unpopular, Ill never get banned?
I tell u, just remove that nose from your display pic, and admins wont (bother to) know who u are ')
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

incog wrote:
jerom wrote:In my opinion it is fine that off topic is there, but off topic threads need to have some form of quality. Random shit is nothing but hurtful for a community in my opinion. There needs to be a certain amount of quality content in a section for it to be worth it.

Pretty much agree with this. Honestly this is our plan in the future, just crack down a bit more on spam and posts with little content. I guess its kind of like flaming: a little is nice but if it starts getting too ridiculous it only annoys other people.

The off topic though has had a lot of good and interesting discussions in it.

Edit: Nonetheless, we wont be banning people who arent popular posters. If such posters outright annoy other users (be it with spam or flaming), well first send them a PM to tell them to calm it down. Well only ever start warning and suspending users if such offenses are repeated, our warnings ignored and those users just piss everyone off.

In order to raise the quality of posting, I guess well just start locking threads a >'bit<' more readily.
okay very happy about that!
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

Go away, Aloysius.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ivan wrote:Go away, Aloysius.

he was my fav
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: Request to remove the Off Topic section

Post by evilcheadar »

Bramboy, just because you don't enjoy discussing off topic content doesn't mean the section of the forums should be removed.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

The links dont work anymore
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

bramboy is right that sometimes low quality topics take place and enough of those end up annoying people

this isn't reddit, where bad topics moderate themselves from lack of upvotes
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

The off topic section to me is like the troll section of the forums in a way. I think moderation has been loose in that section and I am not really too interested in reading topics in that section myself. But it is an area on the forum that some people like to participate in. Having it separate from all of the age of empires discussion helps keep it from intruding on those who want aoe3 topics.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The problem is that read-worthy topics on serious discussions are the victim of complete garbage threads. There have been plenty of warnings now imo, its time to swing that hammer I think.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

Give me the Mjƶllnir. I can handle that.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Jerom wrote:The problem is that read-worthy topics on serious discussions are the victim of complete garbage threads. There have been plenty of warnings now imo, its time to swing that hammer I think.

The current ratio is like one garbage thread for about 3 or 4 legit threads, though.

People are free not to go to the off-topic, but I have seen several good discussions there. The few legit trolls there have been banned and the spammers are being asked to progressively raise the quality of their posting.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

Off topic should be eliminated imo. Completely useless, except for some nice threads
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

If you don't like it, just don't go there? Because everything posted there, the rest of the forum is actually less spammy. :roll:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

off topic isn't as bad as some would say lol

far from it
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

iNcog wrote:off topic isn't as bad as some would say lol

far from it

I don't really know why people think it's so bad. It's off topic, not supposed to be about one thing in particular
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

This thread is so dumb, it's called off topic for a reason.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

*Sigh* We've had a couple of internal discussions about moderation stye long before. I have been moderating different forums since ~2008, but it seems the majority of the team itself sympathizes with (and hence tends to be defensive about) seemingly funny trolls and flames. So I'll just try to fit in unless the policies change.

I can only say that my personal moderation style is rather strict compared to the loose, almost anarchic policy we're having right now. I close topics, I warn and temp and perma ban people. There's just no more effective way to keep a place welcoming and respectful, when that place is inhabited by mostly young wild men with competitive mindsets who are determined to fight things out until the bitter end. There are so many stupid chicken fights on this forum, it makes me sick whenever I see it. I've seen team members defend users who they know, but were obviously trolling hard in my eyes and that's just wrong to still let things go mad and scare off new potential members by that.

So, closing off-topic is not the solution, stricter policies are.