No Flag ssaraf
Skirmisher
Posts: 153
ESO: robinhood_xing

23 Jul 2017, 01:58

Gendarme wrote:Mostly because they were perceived as annoying when browsing the forum - they stood out too much.


WHO told they were annoying, its a UI design issue , the end user review matters. Maybe do a poll or something. The earlier ones were soo much better. XDD
User avatar
United States of America musketeer925
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
Posts: 1437
ESO: musketeer925

23 Jul 2017, 02:09

The change was my idea. I was so annoyed by the bright-colored icons that I stopped visiting the site. The bright colors severely distracted from the site's actual content and detracted from the overall design, in my opinion. I'm very open to suggestions on the AoE:O icon -- I don't yet think it's recognizable enough. Most of the dev team seemed to agree with me, and I feel that typically our design changes get either little user feedback or positive feedback. I think I've tried seeking input before making a change before, but with little success (no one is interested until we change something in a way they dislike!)

If it does turn out that the majority of users very strongly liked the colored icons, I will be surprised, but I would certainly consider reverting it or considering more middle-ground ideas if that was the case.
No Flag ssaraf
Skirmisher
Posts: 153
ESO: robinhood_xing

23 Jul 2017, 02:25

Isn't attraction towards twitch streams a good thing?

See, I rarely comment on the site changes. But, those logos were really looking good and I liked the bright colored stuff (in contrast with the site's monotonous , but consistent design). I mean, the brown theme of the site is good and consistent, but those stream logos kind of highlighted the fact that "Hey, something LIVE is going on".

Maybe, you can reconsider this or somehow ask the masses. Anyways, its a request :)

musketeer925 wrote: I feel that typically our design changes get either little user feedback or positive feedback. I think I've tried seeking input before making a change before, but with little success (no one is interested until we change something in a way they dislike!).

Maybe consider this as feedback :D
User avatar
United States of America musketeer925
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
Posts: 1437
ESO: musketeer925

23 Jul 2017, 03:39

ssaraf wrote:Isn't attraction towards twitch streams a good thing?

See, I rarely comment on the site changes. But, those logos were really looking good and I liked the bright colored stuff (in contrast with the site's monotonous , but consistent design). I mean, the brown theme of the site is good and consistent, but those stream logos kind of highlighted the fact that "Hey, something LIVE is going on".

Maybe, you can reconsider this or somehow ask the masses. Anyways, its a request :)

musketeer925 wrote: I feel that typically our design changes get either little user feedback or positive feedback. I think I've tried seeking input before making a change before, but with little success (no one is interested until we change something in a way they dislike!).

Maybe consider this as feedback :D

Your feedback is definitely appreciated! Happy to talk about it. I agree that Twitch streams are important, and it's cool to point out when something live is going on, but it seems to be there are ALWAYS at least one or two people streaming -- it's not really something terribly exciting when there's always one there, is it? Plus, highlighting low-viewer count, low-quality (honestly the viewer count generally follows the stream quality pretty well) streams dilutes it when a good stream is on.

Maybe we could do something where Twitch streams above a certain viewer count threshold get special coloring / colored icons / etc. I think that'd be a good way to highlight the important streams without it being super distracting all the time. I'm not sure, however, what a good threshold would be. Around 50? 30?

I also agree getting some more color on the site is good. The brown site *is* pretty bland. However, I think it has to be done in a thoughtful way that doesn't feel too out of place. Slapping color on without too much thought as to what's really important feels like it's 1999.
Australia wardyb1
Musketeer
Posts: 87
ESO: wardyb1
Location: Australia

23 Jul 2017, 03:57

musketeer925 wrote:
ssaraf wrote:Isn't attraction towards twitch streams a good thing?

See, I rarely comment on the site changes. But, those logos were really looking good and I liked the bright colored stuff (in contrast with the site's monotonous , but consistent design). I mean, the brown theme of the site is good and consistent, but those stream logos kind of highlighted the fact that "Hey, something LIVE is going on".

Maybe, you can reconsider this or somehow ask the masses. Anyways, its a request :)

musketeer925 wrote: I feel that typically our design changes get either little user feedback or positive feedback. I think I've tried seeking input before making a change before, but with little success (no one is interested until we change something in a way they dislike!).

Maybe consider this as feedback :D

Your feedback is definitely appreciated! Happy to talk about it. I agree that Twitch streams are important, and it's cool to point out when something live is going on, but it seems to be there are ALWAYS at least one or two people streaming -- it's not really something terribly exciting when there's always one there, is it? Plus, highlighting low-viewer count, low-quality (honestly the viewer count generally follows the stream quality pretty well) streams dilutes it when a good stream is on.

Maybe we could do something where Twitch streams above a certain viewer count threshold get special coloring / colored icons / etc. I think that'd be a good way to highlight the important streams without it being super distracting all the time. I'm not sure, however, what a good threshold would be. Around 50? 30?

I also agree getting some more color on the site is good. The brown site *is* pretty bland. However, I think it has to be done in a thoughtful way that doesn't feel too out of place. Slapping color on without too much thought as to what's really important feels like it's 1999.

I think if it went to brown at 25 viewers and then a nice gold or something at 50 would be pretty sweet. I agree that's generally how the quality is reflected. A lot of the regular decent streamers who maybe aren't the highest lvl gameplay often pull around 25ish, while the tourneys and the top tier players with good quality streams will usually pull in much more.
User avatar
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
ESOC Media Team
Posts: 4171
ESO: mr_bramboy
Location: Amsterdam

23 Jul 2017, 13:23

IAmSoldieR wrote:I even bet you are thinking of ways to automate the map vetos (I suspect you have to manually do that now)

This is already semi-automated. Myesoc scans the thread for "veto x" and replaces the maps image with a gray version. This is prone to failure though if people say things like "wow I wonder if he is going to veto x", but it works most of the time.

Devs have been amazing in the past few months. Thanks to all!
User avatar
Sweden Gendarme
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 02
Posts: 1909
ESO: Gendarme

25 Jul 2017, 21:00

Image
Many of you have probably noticed this cute cogwheel that recently managed to sneak its way into the stream section. This post will serve as an official introduction and welcome to our new friend.

The stream section now has filters to allow us to choose which game or games to show in the stream list. The two buttons provide us with four settings:

    - show both AoE3 and AoEO streams
    - show AoE3 streams; hide AoEO streams
    - show AoEO streams; hide AoE3 streams
    - hide both AoE3 and AoEO streams

These settings are saved in our browsers' local storage (if supported) and are thus permanent. That is, until we change them again with the click of a button.

The filter functionality is not only useful for streams, and might pop up elsewhere in the (near?) future. Our cogwheel-friend might not seem like much, but he serves as a reminder to us all that there is still hope, that there is much yet to be discovered, that one day we can triumph in the footsteps of our fallen fathers, that we will - at last - be liberated! Cheers.
duck wrote:man it really sucks when you have to agree with gendarme on things
User avatar
Romania Dolan
Howdah
Posts: 1807

29 Jul 2017, 10:54

Welp, so this hasn't been solved:
Dolan wrote:@musketeer925 It makes sense to be so, because the links assigned to those buttons have a padding of 17px 10px, which means the height includes 17px*2 + font size (13px, inherited from the body). You get 47px, when the container, the top bar, has a fixed size of 45px. Also links have a min-height of 45px, which means they might get adjusted to a higher value.

Try this, change the links properties to this:

Code: Select all

.Navigation__link {
    display: block;
    height: 45px;
    line-height: 45px;
    box-sizing: border-box;
    padding: 0px 10px;
    color: #ebe5b9;
    vertical-align: middle;
}


Then you could re-adjust the social icons to this setting:

Code: Select all

.Social__icon {
    padding: 17px 10px 14px;
    color: #ebe5b9;
}


Though, personally, I don't like this solution. Both types of links should be included in a flex container, this would make using padding to fix issues of alignment unnecessary.
Still, it seems to work, so it could be used as a temporary solution. I would rework both to use a flex container, though.

And then there's this:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.4 KiB) Viewed 194 times

Which could be fixed by making some changed to the .like class

Code: Select all

.like {
    /* height: 14px!important; */
    color: black!important;
    line-height: 16px;
}


It's just a bunch of CSS, I know you can fix it.
User avatar
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
Posts: 1780
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Location: [WPact]

29 Jul 2017, 11:21

@Dolan I cannot reproduce either issue on blink nor gecko, both seem solved to me. Maybe try cleaning cache or share more information about your setup on which this happens.
Image
User avatar
Romania Dolan
Howdah
Posts: 1807

29 Jul 2017, 11:44

@EAGLEMUT

Well, it's not a big deal and I didn't raise this issue, someone else did, but here's how it looks like in latest Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Edge.

Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (15.01 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (42.98 KiB) Viewed 176 times


The like button issue seems solved now, not sure why it wasn't displaying right. I don't think it was a cache problem.
User avatar
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
Posts: 1780
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Location: [WPact]

30 Jul 2017, 01:03

This one I too can see, but I'm not even convinced it's a bug. Just makes the hovered item stand out a bit more, looks like a feature to me!
Image
User avatar
Sweden Gendarme
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 02
Posts: 1909
ESO: Gendarme

20 Sep 2017, 20:01

BBCode for Imgur albums and galleries (what's the difference anyway?) have been fixed/created.

Imgur album: [imgur-album]https://imgur.com/a/XWOUI[/imgur-albu​m]




Imgur gallery: [imgur-gallery]https://imgur.com/gallery/XWOUI[/imgur-galler​y]



Let's make good use of them in the screenshots sharing thread!
duck wrote:man it really sucks when you have to agree with gendarme on things

Forum Info

Return to “Site Suggestions”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest