TOTD Suggestion

United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

TOTD Suggestion

Post by noissance »

I think there needs to be a tip of the day banner on this site. This would be more appealing to new players, rather than sorting through threads.
Error 404: Signature not found
Jaeger
Donator 01

Re: TOTD Suggestion

Post by noissance »

We gather all tips from many players and collect several. Display them daily and run them through a loop. How does this sound?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The tips are honestly not worthy. Not necessarily because they are bad, but because they are uninteresting and rather unhelpful.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Jerom wrote:The tips are honestly not worthy. Not necessarily because they are bad, but because they are uninteresting and rather unhelpful.

Stop dissing TOTD.

In b4 cheader
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:The tips are honestly not worthy. Not necessarily because they are bad, but because they are uninteresting and rather unhelpful.

Aren't we trying to build a community that is welcoming and friendly to lower ranked players though? Just because they may be uninteresting and common knowledge for people pr 20+ doesn't mean that they aren't useful or interesting to everybody.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

gibson wrote:

Aren't we trying to build a community that is welcoming and friendly to lower ranked players though? Just because they may be uninteresting and common knowledge for people pr 20+ doesn't mean that they aren't useful or interesting to everybody.

Yesh, I think people are starting to see how toxic some upper level players can be (not bashing them, I think it's mostly unintentional). It creates a negative environment for newer/lower level players and hurts the community.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:

I wrote a long post with constructive criticism that cheadar couldve used to make these tips worth anything. He ignored me and didnt even act nicely or anything.

The problem is that these tips are mostly useless advice. Almost any tips would be better.
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

Jerom wrote:
gibson wrote:

I wrote a long post with constructive criticism that cheadar couldve used to make these tips worth anything. He ignored me and didnt even act nicely or anything.

The problem is that these tips are mostly useless advice. Almost any tips would be better.

Jerome cut this elitist crap just let us lower level players be happy. I enjoy seeing the discussion that comes after the tips don't read it if you don't like it.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Jerom wrote:
gibson wrote:

I can sort of get your point maybe with the advanced market and team 2 rhino tip, but I stand strongly by tips like food crates are bad. These players that come on here will come to TOTD say its"completely wrong" then proceed to play 50 games straight where they don't send food crates in........or make halbs........or make cav archer......or get veteran crossbow.
The truth of the matter is when I started playing I had no idea these units and shipments would be bad. I had no concept of the need to save villie seconds. Tbh these tips can still apply to pr 10-20. Just because you found one situation where the shipment is useful doesn't mean that it's worthwhile to shoot down the tip that applies 80% of the time.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by noissance »

Guys this is not JUST cheadar's tips its ESOC official tips of the day. We can have a tier system to those too, so you can filter out stuff you already know.

Cheadar got the ball rolling and we need to pick it up!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

noissance wrote:Guys this is not JUST cheadar's tips its ESOC official tips of the day. We can have a tier system to those too, so you can filter out stuff you already know.

Yes I really like this idea. Make sure we cater to all skill levels.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Tips are tips for any skill level. For example: herd your hunts as close to TC as possible. Use melee attack on outlaw rifleman treasure, etc. those are tips. Saying: don't get 35 food treasure or don't make CA or don't send food crates are just ignorant statements. Shouldn't start new players off on a bad foot like that.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0eL wrote:Tips are tips for any skill level. For example: herd your hunts as close to TC as possible. Use melee attack on outlaw rifleman treasure, etc. those are tips. Saying: don't get 35 food treasure or don't make CA or don't send food crates are just ignorant statements. Shouldn't start new players off on a bad foot like that.

Food crates are bad that's a fact
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

n0eL wrote:Tips are tips for any skill level. For example: herd your hunts as close to TC as possible. Use melee attack on outlaw rifleman treasure, etc. those are tips. Saying: don't get 35 food treasure or don't make CA or don't send food crates are just ignorant statements. Shouldn't start new players off on a bad foot like that.

Not ignorant statements, there's much better treasures to go out there and grab, cav archer are poor choice for fortress age combat due to no range resist, and food crates are bad for almost all situations except dire straits where you are boned because you can't get any hunts. I don't know why people are so against my tips, H20 has said he had agreed with them yet there's so many people with a stick up their ass about them. I go back to how often are halbs made in sat smackdown/tournament gameplay? Pretty much never except for that church tech that you can pop halbs out.

India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

fightinfrenchman wrote:

Food crates are bad that's a fact

Dude, its not like a universal truth, Ofcourse food crates are bad, but not always. Their use is rather, situational.
I know the maths with food being the fastest to gather, so bad to send bla bla bla...but 700f works many times(mostly 1v1s).
Like a double rax musk rush often makes good use of 700f, also in musk huss sometimes. I have seen many good players use 700f with brits,france,russia mostly. Even 1000f in age3 is useful for ports turtle FI in some cases. 700f for dutch 3/4 bank semi is at times used to reach age3. 700f for russia is used quite often i think for timing push.
My point is, Dont Generalize anything you believe is truth. n0el has strong point though!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

You know what is a superior tip to that garbage food crate tip:
Did you know that villagers dont gather all resources equally fast? For example, villagers gather food at a rate of 0.84 food/second while they gather wood at 0.5 wood/second. That means that shipments like 700w are usually better than shipments like 700f.

Your tip is just garbage. I didnt even try to come up with a good tip but Ive just outclassed yours by quite a margin really. Theres tons of good tips to give really, but stating that something is bad (which isnt even always true, ie the cav archer tip) is a terrible tip. Its not even a tip. Its a mediocre fact. And not even a fun fact, its a boring fact. It doesnt help anyone. You might aswell cut the effort and link a video/guide of a top player instead. Not only do they show what not to do, they actually show exactly what to do.

If youd give 1000 tips like these, you might almost be as useful as linking a video of H2O playing in first person.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

evilcheadar wrote:cav archer are poor choice for fortress age combat due to no range resist

Making statements like this are terrible advice since you don't say the alternative. You could say 'if you are playing with a civ that has cav archers make vet musk instead'. This is wrong becuase musks are worse in fortress, so as russia you are always going to make cav archers in fortress to have anti-cav and goons might be better than cav archers, but ranged cav is still better than no ranged cav. However whilst it is wrong, at least that would be better than what it is now where it is beyond useless.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Jerom wrote:You know what is a superior tip to that garbage food crate tip:
Did you know that villagers dont gather all resources equally fast? For example, villagers gather food at a rate of 0.84 food/second while they gather wood at 0.5 wood/second. That means that shipments like 700w are usually better than shipments like 700f.

Your tip is just garbage. I didnt even try to come up with a good tip but Ive just outclassed yours by quite a margin really. Theres tons of good tips to give really, but stating that something is bad (which isnt even always true, ie the cav archer tip) is a terrible tip. Its not even a tip. Its a mediocre fact. And not even a fun fact, its a boring fact. It doesnt help anyone. You might aswell cut the effort and link a video/guide of a top player instead. Not only do they show what not to do, they actually show exactly what to do.

If youd give 1000 tips like these, you might almost be as useful as linking a video of H2O playing in first person.

The food crate tip is based on food being the fastest gathering resource.

Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by noissance »

Cheadar I think the main problem with ur posts is that they are too small and too negative. We want players to be happy, not feel like dimwits...
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

noissance wrote:Cheadar I think the main problem with ur posts is that they are too small and too negative. We want players to be happy, not feel like dimwits...

I'm just trying to provide tips and quality content, if I have to defend my tips I will!

Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by noissance »

evilcheadar wrote:
noissance wrote:Cheadar I think the main problem with ur posts is that they are too small and too negative. We want players to be happy, not feel like dimwits...

I'm just trying to provide tips and quality content, if I have to defend my tips I will!

Your tips are fine, just write them in such a way that elitists cant complain about them.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

noissance wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:

Your tips are fine, just write them in such a way that elitists cant complain about them.

It's hard, they constantly complain even when I provide more reasoning in the halberdiers tip.

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

I wouldn't say that it's a bad idea, it's just not important enough to be a priority. Also, it would take extra effort since everything would have to be edited and approved by ESOC staff.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

noissance wrote:Guys this is not JUST cheadar's tips its ESOC official tips of the day. We can have a tier system to those too, so you can filter out stuff you already know.

I disagree. We really don't. It's not important enough.
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

zoom wrote:

I disagree. We really don't. It's not important enough.

Zoom just shuts things down. I wish he and others like him would a little more friendly, just a little.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND