Suggestion: Welcome Page/Area/Tab/Link/???

United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Suggestion: Welcome Page/Area/Tab/Link/???

Post by Durokan »

I have been hosting a lobby on eso with the name of eso-community.net to advertise the site at the suggestion of Soldier. I think it would be reasonably important to have an obvious area to "sell" the site in the eyes of a person who has never been here before.

This welcome area could be on the main page directly above the news, or in a navbar, or at the main nav bar at the top of the page. A proposed idea that I have is shown in this screenshot. (Mind you the wording should be changed extensively, this is just a placeholder image)

Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Suggestion: Welcome Page/Area/Tab/Link/???

Post by musketeer925 »

I like this idea, and it would be easy to do. What do other people think?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Sure, if it helps us get new players

You could do it for people who aren't logged in, for example.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

iNcog wrote:Sure, if it helps us get new players

You could do it for people who aren't logged in, for example.

Hadn't thought of that. Maybe not logged in or an account less than 30 days old? (this would be easy to implement)
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

For sure! Go ahead

Though what would it link to, exactly? An "about" page which describes ESOC. what's it for, what it does, etc.
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

If someone writes a good intro, I'll implement it. Don't care if it's someone from the media team or just a member as long as it's good.

IMO, things it should cover:

- basics of site (Welcome, very brief history, etc)
- we do tournaments
- check out the patch
- take a look at news posts below to see what's going on recently
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

New users, not players, perhaps?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I shall try after smackdown, allthough it might be easier if a native speaker does it.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

zoom wrote:New users, not players, perhaps?

New forum users, but also new patch players.

@jerom thanks
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I'll write a draft up in this thread directly, tell me what you think.

Not sure if it's a bit long, the right size, if I've left anything out, etc.

Welcome to eso-community.net, we are a community site for Age of Empires 3. We invite you to check out ESOC and hopefully join our forums.

This site was founded in 2015 with the explicit purpose of hosting an AoE3 tournament: The Age of Empires 3 Spring Championships. The ending finals was one of the most exciting matches to ever take place in Age of Empires 3. You can check out that match here. This tournament was indeed so successful, that a few people decided that the site used to host the tournament should be revamped a bit and turned into a true community site. Thus, ESO Community was born.

Since then, ESOC has grown into a full-blown community site. We're looking to provide AoE3 players a place to come together to discuss the game, share replays, stream the game and hang out. If you're also a new player to Age of Empires 3, you should absolutely check out Veni_Vidi_Vici_W's Guide for New Players! Please also take note of our side-bar, which holds a lot of information, such as live-streams currently playing Age of Empires 3. As an Age of Empires player yourself, you should probably join ESOC and check out everything else we have to offer.

We continue to host tournaments on a regular basis; they now take up the name of "Age of Empires 3 Seasonal Championships", or ASC. All tournament games are streamed on our own twitch channel at twitch.tv/esoctv. These tournaments are funded entirely by community members; in fact donations are still open today. You can check that out on this page. We also have betting events for these tournaments.

ESOC has also decided to look into supporting Age of Empires 3 via its "ESOC Patch". This is essentially a patch which we have put together with the following goals in mind:
- Addition of several new exciting maps, as well as resource-balancing for classic maps,
- Balance changes which make all civilizations competitive in Supremacy games,
- Anti-cheating countermeasures,
- Quality of life improvements,

The patch has been worked on by established members of the AoE3 modding scene, the excellent map-maker Garja, as well as the best competitive AoE3 players currently playing. We are looking to do anything we can to make the AoE3 online experience as best as possible; it's absolutely something worth checking out if you are interested in AoE3, regardless of skill level. Naturally, the usage of this patch does not hinder a player's ability to play on the official "Patch 1.01". Installation of the ESOC patch is also very easy, so there is little reason not to at least try it out! You can download our patch by finding the appropriate link in the left side-bar.

We are ESO Community and we would not mind having you join our forums, our tournaments or trying out the patch. We do everything we can to provide an inclusive community for anyone playing Age of Empires 3. Be sure to check out our home-page for AoE3 related news.
Garja wrote:
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Why your posts has been removed?
I just started liking that feature, and now it has been removed?

@musketeer925

EDIT: yay, they are back ;)
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

thebritish wrote:Why your posts has been removed?
I just started liking that feature, and now it has been removed?

@musketeer925

EDIT: yay, they are back ;)

Please at least try to put stuff in the right thread.