ESO-C mobile app

United States of America jamesmp98
Dragoon
ESO: jamesmp98

Re: ESO-C mobile app

Post by jamesmp98 »

sdsanft wrote:It would actually be really nice if I got alerts on my phone whenever I have a notification, so when I'm playing Pokemon go i can get alerts like "xX_swift_killa_Xx liked your post" or something to that effect.

Well, you don't even need an app for that. That can be done via the progressive web. The only issue is that if PHPBB does not support push notifications, you would have to hack around with the code for it, unless maybe there is an API endpoint to listen for things like that.

p.s. Who is in charge of the site and upkeep now.
best german stratgey

1. age with 3 settler wagon
2. make pike
3. push
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Mostly buckethead
Dragoon

Post by jamesmp98 »

Jerom wrote:Mostly buckethead

Not sure I know who that is :P
best german stratgey

2. make pike
3. push
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

James you should do it. I'm sure buckethead would be more than willing to help

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Dragoon

Post by jamesmp98 »

sdsanft wrote:James you should do it. I'm sure buckethead would be more than willing to help

Lol, I was actually part of the dev team for a brief week or so under H2O. I was supposed to develop a new feature for the site. Unfortunately, it never got done as I had to disappear for a while. I would be happy to help again if it were approved, but IMHO the architecture for the site is pretty weird (i.e. I hate SOAP)
best german stratgey

2. make pike
3. push
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

jamesmp98 wrote:
Jerom wrote:Mostly buckethead

Not sure I know who that is :P

@Buckethead ? :hmm:
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

The problem with having an app is that if we add something new, or change something on the website. It will be updated on the site, and the mobile version of the site. But we would also need to update the app separately (which probably requires an update?)

Better to focus on the mobile website and make it more usable, because after all it has the same screen size and tools to use as an app, so I really don't see the advantage of an app. Only thing I can see being useful (or annoying) are phone notifications.

Best thing to focus on would be, what are the most annoying things on mobile right now? What takes too long, and how can we make it faster and easier?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

@91 , IMO the „Go to the last unread post" icon is too small on both desktop and mobile.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

You cannot see who liked someone's post on mobile website!
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

You can't get tthe notifications dropdown on mobile which can be annoying sometimes.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

And generally the like button always bugs for me, the problem has already been described in the other topic.
Dragoon

Post by jamesmp98 »

91 wrote:The problem with having an app is that if we add something new, or change something on the website. It will be updated on the site, and the mobile version of the site. But we would also need to update the app separately (which probably requires an update?)

Better to focus on the mobile website and make it more usable, because after all it has the same screen size and tools to use as an app, so I really don't see the advantage of an app. Only thing I can see being useful (or annoying) are phone notifications.

Best thing to focus on would be, what are the most annoying things on mobile right now? What takes too long, and how can we make it faster and easier?

As said before, phone notifications can be done through a website. It's 2016!
best german stratgey

2. make pike
3. push
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

jamesmp98 wrote:
91 wrote:The problem with having an app is that if we add something new, or change something on the website. It will be updated on the site, and the mobile version of the site. But we would also need to update the app separately (which probably requires an update?)

As said before, phone notifications can be done through a website. It's 2016!

True, i didnt even think about this because i never use it. I dont think the browser support for this is amazing though..? Also there is not a very "living" structure of the html/javascript, so might be difficult to use reasonably anyway. (i dont think u see any new posts or esoc notifications unless you refresh the site)
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

91 wrote:
I dont think u see any new posts or esoc notifications unless you refresh the site.

You get live esoc notifications (new posts) in ESO-Assistant.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

_NiceKING_ wrote:
91 wrote:
I dont think u see any new posts or esoc notifications unless you refresh the site.

Yeah thats a different platform though. The client side of the website needs to change in order for this to work well. Phpbb is pretty static.
Dragoon

Post by jamesmp98 »

91 wrote:
_NiceKING_ wrote:
91 wrote:

Yeah thats a different platform though. The client side of the website needs to change in order for this to work well. Phpbb is pretty static.

is it OSS?
best german stratgey

2. make pike
3. push
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

@91 another issue is that mobile website always requires me to enter my nick and password again and again when I open the website even though I click "remember me". On normal website (PC) it happens too but less often. However, this is not a big issue since my nick and password are already filled in I just have to click "log in" button.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

jamesmp98 wrote:
91 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

is it OSS?

It's open source if that's what you mean yes. But I'm pretty disappointed with the up-to-date information or plugins to be found online unfortunately.

_NiceKING_ wrote:@91 another issue is that mobile website always requires me to enter my nick and password again and again when I open the website even though I click "remember me". On normal website (PC) it happens too but less often. However, this is not a big issue since my nick and password are already filled in I just have to click "log in" button.

Yeah, I'm aware of this. I know there is a IP match/cookie clear setting that might fix it, but I rather not play around with it too much as it can affect quite a lot, security to mention one thing. It's a bit outside of my knowledge
Dragoon

Post by jamesmp98 »

91 wrote:
jamesmp98 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

is it OSS?

It's open source if that's what you mean yes. But I'm pretty disappointed with the up-to-date information or plugins to be found online unfortunately.

_NiceKING_ wrote:@91 another issue is that mobile website always requires me to enter my nick and password again and again when I open the website even though I click "remember me". On normal website (PC) it happens too but less often. However, this is not a big issue since my nick and password are already filled in I just have to click "log in" button.

Yeah, I'm aware of this. I know there is a IP match/cookie clear setting that might fix it, but I rather not play around with it too much as it can affect quite a lot, security to mention one thing. It's a bit outside of my knowledge

I could help a little with security stuff.
best german stratgey

2. make pike
3. push
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

jamesmp98 wrote:
91 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Show hidden quotes

I could help a little with security stuff.

Always useful with help. Just send pm to an admin or web dev if you want to help out (I reply here to point out that anyone is welcome doing so).

As I'm the most active right now, pm me your skype if you have, so you can join the discussions.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

I like that unread topics now get highlighted.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Site works 100% on my android, I dont see a huge benefit in an app, imo considering our current manpower, developing and keeping an app is not worth it... Maybe in the future.