38%

Total votes: 21

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Quotation rules

Post by pecelot »

Some topics are quite messy becuase of long quotes. I have an idea how to solve it.

1) If you want to refer to a post which already includes a quote in itself, quote only the added text.
[spoiler=Example]post A: Brits are good because of the manors, you should send VC every game
post B: [quotation of post A]
no, you shouldn't, a Cree upgrade is better and you don't waste a card
post C: [quotation of B, without the quotation of post A]
you're wrong, because a Cree post with the upgrade is a big investment, and with a TP you can send 3 vills as well.

In this case the author of post C isn't referring to post A, so there's no need to include it in the quotation of post B.[/spoiler]
2) If you want to refer to a certain part of one's speech, quote only that part.
[spoiler=Example]post A: the Spanish ATP build is a nice option, bla bla bla...
PS.: H2O is the best AoE player ever
post B: [quotation of post A, but only of the PS. part]
you're wrong, BS_OP is way better when he's not rusty.[/spoiler]
3) If you refer to the newest post, don't quote it, as chronologically it's logical that you refer to this particular post.
[spoiler=Example]post A: Removing schooners is essential to balance water.
post B: I disagree, offshore support is more influential.
post C: I agree with post B, Brits are broken.
No quotation needed here.[/spoiler]
I hope I presented it understandably. Of course these rules wouldn't be necessary, but would make the discussion much more clear (clearer?) and appealing to take part in at the same time.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Quotation rules

Post by momuuu »

I think its fine mostly. Old esoc would only show two or three quotes at most, but sometimes you have to search for the relevant story behind the post that you might have forgotten about (because you read it hours ago) which is quite a nuisance.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

But smaller is the topic, easier is the search
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well I basically do all this atm. For the first rule, it can be done in the blink of an eye by ESOC staff, since atm there are only 4 nested quotes max, and you could change that to 1 quote max very easily. But idk if people want that
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The quality of my formatting usually depends on if Im posting from my phone or not. Its really annoying to mess with quotes on your phone tbh.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I miss the infinite quote thread
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Kaiserklein wrote:Well I basically do all this atm. For the first rule, it can be done in the blink of an eye by ESOC staff, since atm there are only 4 nested quotes max, and you could change that to 1 quote max very easily. But idk if people want that

Nice. What I'm suggesting is to make these 3 rules more official, but still not obligatory. It helps keep threads clear.
I don't think there's need for such a feature, sometimes it's indeed necessary to quote more than one speech, but usually they can be omitted without any harm.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

A friendly bump. :flowers:
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Yes I do something similar to keep quotes relevant and small, but sometimes you are on mobile and just dont want to be bothered, the current max 3 quotes tuneled should be enough to solve this.
A RULE about quotes shouldnt exist imo.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I think it's too trivial for an official rule, but it should work nicely as a guideline for quality posts! :flowers:
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

None of these rules are necessary. With the current quote tag, u can precisely define what u want to get quoted and its much simpler.

1) If u remove the quotes, u can very easily forget what each person said. Also, think about a long ass post, where you have a huge chain of [quotation of post A] [quotation of post B] [quotation of post C] .... and so on. Then u cant track what each guy said and what he is referring to + in your case, i manually have to keep track of what i wanna quote and its said by whom, rather than the current system of clicking a damn button.

2) You can quote partial in the current quote tag also. See e.g.
pecelot wrote: 2) If you want to refer to a certain part of one's speech, quote only that part.
Thats how this is done.

3) People quoting the last post are retards :P
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I don't think tags were that much of a thing back then, and quotes are usually healthy, with a few aforementioned exceptions.

1) My point was that if you don't refer to the other part of the quoted post, you shouldn't quote it.
[spoiler=Bad example]http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10796#p230499
forgrin wrote:
greatscythe11 wrote:
pecelot wrote:Haha, you don't have to tell me!

Today I lost a 1-hour-and-37-minute-long game (without treaty!) as France vs Japan for this particular reason xD He just spammed ashis and flaming arrows, I had to balance my skirms, culverins, horse cannons, cuirs and mortars counts, and eventually ran out of wood...

I just have this theory about playing vs Japan.I spend one card like 700 wood for pike and xbows(or diplomatic intrigue as india for grenadiers) and use that to siege shrines by 6:00 min mark. Ofc I need a few cav like 5 huss for yumis and for kiiling monks if I can. So its a decent sieging force.Through sieging xp I sort of recover my card. Rest of my build stays the same and I age up. Through sieging I give myself some time by controlling the Japan eco and theoretically killing Ashis before they come out.In age 3, I add cannons(3-4) to hard counter Japanese Infantry and buildings including walls(Foundry seems necessary as well as 1k coin).I add halbs for heavy infantry canon protection, cuirs for tanky front line and some skirms for support.I push with that army by 11- 12 min mark(faster on Deccan maybe?) with pikes on shrines rebuilt.The Japanese player has 2 options-a)protect his shrines by making army in which case he'll be slow to age 3 and canons will be stronger. b) ignore the sieging in which case my shipment progression will be faster and his age 3 mass will be small.Also, 2 TP is quite easy to go for it seems in the MU.

Please share any opinion you have on the idea.

As France, if you're going xbow pike start that can just outright beat Japan if played decently. You can age if you want but a good Japan player would recognise your lack of units after the initial few batches and push you, which is just giving them a chance to win by cheesing your falcs in ashi hand attack.

As India, if you scout them doing late rax this might work, but Japan would have to be retarded to late rax Vs India so you should win that anyways with a regular rush. Grens might help you clear shrines here but honestly just sowar and crate cards will be more useful, plus brit/Otto consulate and even the crates from French are just so much better than 4 grens.
The problem with early grens is that they don't do enough in fights if Japan just micros alright (stagger mode, dodging grenades). And, if Japan masses up early expecting a rush, then they'll just straight up outmass you once the grens are dealt with.
[/spoiler]
2) I didn't mean it was impossible, just wanted to draw attention to it as people didn't manually remove it :!:

3) I wouldn't say so, but you seem to have a point! ;)

One thing I want to add is that if you quote posts with media (images, videos), use the [.spoiler=][/spoiler] tags not to take the space again.
[spoiler=Duh]http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=230998#p231014
milku3459 wrote:
pecelot wrote:
lejend wrote:It's an allegory for real life. The human charge against the orcs, is reminiscent of the Polish Hussar charge against the Muslims, as an example.

every opportunity is suitable for a dank meme :V

marching into poland feelsgood
[/spoiler]
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Sometimes I am on my tablet and try to quote someone and it tells me I cant. Rather than force myself to use tablets bad UI to fix quote tags, I end up just not replying. :(

I am lazy and cannot lie. Also no apostrophes in this post, sorry about that.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Pretty sure everybody agrees, most of us just don't do it because it takes too much work. About number 3, if you're not gonna quote you should at least tag so the person gets a notification.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Yes, that's what I have been doing mainly, tagging people is less invasive. :flowers:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

But you didnt do it here :hmm:

I generally find quotes are not as useful.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I said: mainly — I tend to do that when I deeply want to draw somebody's attention to my post, @momuuu :!: