Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: state flags in addition to country ones

Post by Vinyanyérë »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Just do a Pennsylvania flag then if it's too much work to do them all

We have concerns that it would be corrupt and unethical to show favoritism to one state over the others.
duck
:mds:
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Vinyanyérë wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Just do a Pennsylvania flag then if it's too much work to do them all

We have concerns that it would be corrupt and unethical to show favoritism to one state over the others.

The idea that the ESOC staff would have a concern about corruption is laughable
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:

The existence of corruption in one facet of the ESOC staff, if it does exist, does not imply that another unrelated facet should become corrupt too.
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

The existence of corruption in one facet of the ESOC staff, if it does exist, does not imply that another unrelated facet should become corrupt too.

yeyeye not even an admission that it exists!
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Please stick to the topic at hand. If you have disputes with the staff, please go to the Small Claims Court. I am required to delete further posts which are off-topic.
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Please stick to the topic at hand. If you have disputes with the staff, please go to the Small Claims Court. I am required to delete further posts which are off-topic.

Make a Pennsylvania flag
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

As previously mentioned, we have concerns that it would be corrupt and unethical to show favoritism to one state over the others.
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:As previously mentioned, we have concerns that it would be corrupt and unethical to show favoritism to one state over the others.

It wouldn't
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

The data shows PA has the most aoe3 players so it wouldn't be unfair to give it something extra.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:As previously mentioned, we have concerns that it would be corrupt and unethical to show favoritism to one state over the others.

It wouldn't

Showing favoritism to one state would make people living in other states feel like second-class citizens among the American population. For example, I would be very unhappy if a Pennsylvania flag was made but the California and New Jersey flags were not. It isn't a solution to add those flags either, as there are likely multiple users who want flags for their own states.
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

It wouldn't

Showing favoritism to one state would make people living in other states feel like second-class citizens among the American population. For example, I would be very unhappy if a Pennsylvania flag was made but the California and New Jersey flags were not. It isn't a solution to add those flags either, as there are likely multiple users who want flags for their own states.

The current flags show favoritism to those who don't value their state/province!
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:
Show hidden quotes

The current flags show favoritism to those who don't value their state/province!

It is not necessarily the case that there exists a scenario in which no one group is favored above others. The nonexistence of a perfect solution does not mean that the remaining imperfect solutions are equal: we view setting the granularity at the nation level to be the one which minimizes the level of favoritism displayed for the amount of work that we'd need to put in.
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

It is not necessarily the case that there exists a scenario in which no one group is favored above others. The nonexistence of a perfect solution does not mean that the remaining imperfect solutions are equal: we view setting the granularity at the nation level to be the one which minimizes the level of favoritism displayed for the amount of work that we'd need to put in.

Sounds like you're lazy
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Sounds like you're lazy
says the guy who still hasn't released telethon rewards a month after the event!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

gibson wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Sounds like you're lazy
says the guy who still hasn't released telethon rewards a month after the event!

I'm busy
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I'm busy

same tho

What I mean is, granularity at the country level was the best solution for the work we'd put in. If we increased granularity down to the state level it would be a lot of work for the U.S. alone, and we're unlikely to do it for only a subset of states. Even then, if you want to see a Pennylvania flag, you're best off doing it yourself because the dev team has prioritized other things (and rightly so).
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I'm busy

same tho

What I mean is, granularity at the country level was the best solution for the work we'd put in. If we increased granularity down to the state level it would be a lot of work for the U.S. alone, and we're unlikely to do it for only a subset of states. Even then, if you want to see a Pennylvania flag, you're best off doing it yourself because the dev team has prioritized other things (and rightly so).

If i make pennsylvania flag one how do I apply it
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

You would need to convince the Community, Dev, and Business teams that we should have a Pennsylvania flag without the other state flags, and then send a dev team member the relevant file (I'm guessing a .bmp) The dev team would probably be willing to implement the flag if they had the bitmap file and were convinced that this was a good idea. You can skip the convincing part if you make the other state flags too.
duck
imo
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Vinyanyérë wrote:You would need to convince the Community, Dev, and Business teams that we should have a Pennsylvania flag without the other state flags, and then send a dev team member the relevant file (I'm guessing a .bmp) The dev team would probably be willing to implement the flag if they had the bitmap file and were convinced that this was a good idea. You can skip the convincing part if you make the other state flags too.

I would also impose the requirement that they actually look decent and match the style of the existing flag icons, if it were up to me.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

That too, although some state flags aren't going to look decent no matter what you do.
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

musketeer925 wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:You would need to convince the Community, Dev, and Business teams that we should have a Pennsylvania flag without the other state flags, and then send a dev team member the relevant file (I'm guessing a .bmp) The dev team would probably be willing to implement the flag if they had the bitmap file and were convinced that this was a good idea. You can skip the convincing part if you make the other state flags too.

I would also impose the requirement that they actually look decent and match the style of the existing flag icons, if it were up to me.

Well it shouldn't be up to you then
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I really don't understand how that tiny flag icon could be so hard to manage. How they were able to do avatars is beyond me then!
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

@fightinfrenchman , you shouldn't make statements like that. Musketeer made a reasonable statement and you demonstrated that you disagreed without giving any rationale. That doesn't lead to productive conversation and is strongly discouraged.

@evilcheadar , great question. Avatars are easy to work with because you choose the image yourself. The flags, despite being smaller, are harder for the dev team to work with because they'd have to make the bitmap files manually. With avatars, that doesn't have to be done because you are providing us with the analogous bitmap file.
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:@fightinfrenchman , you shouldn't make statements like that. Musketeer made a reasonable statement and you demonstrated that you disagreed without giving any rational. That doesn't lead to productive conversation and is strongly discouraged.

@evilcheadar , great question. Avatars are easy to work with because you choose the image yourself. The flags, despite being smaller, are harder for the dev team to work with because they'd have to make the bitmap files manually. With avatars, that doesn't have to be done because you are providing us with the analogous bitmap file.

I do not believe that there are no state flags already created