Forcing mods to give explanation of why they are closing reports

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Re: Forcing mods to give explanation of why they are closing reports

Post by Papist »

I read through it, and it still sounds just as ridiculous as it did 2 months ago. If you have a problem with a moderation decision, feel free to bring it to the attention of the team. But don't expect people to start writing page-long treatises just because you disagree with an action they took, lol.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Papist wrote:I read through it, and it still sounds just as ridiculous as it did 2 months ago. If you have a problem with a moderation decision, feel free to bring it to the attention of the team. But don't expect people to start writing page-long treatises just because you disagree with an action they took, lol.

The issue comes down to just some pretty bad general decision making
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Banning people needs to be reserved for only heinous offenses.

No Flag yakuza
Dragoon

Post by yakuza »

We aren't against disagreeing.. We are against classification and partiality ;)
"Also I fail to see why mods should be considered like gods, they're just average people who're here to moderate"
-[Armag] diarouga
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Disregarding all posts ITT, I think that moderators should be required to at least note on what grounds a report was closed, without going into detail. It's unacceptable to me that moderating decisions are made without stated basis, a lot like it's unacceptable that moderators handle cases involving themselves.

By the way, speaking of reports I am never able to read anything on their closures; it's all transparent or some shit. Is this the same for anyone else? @91 @musketeer925 @Buckethead
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

In that case I think that people that report have to give a detailed explanation of why they reported the post rather than about three words.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

yakuza wrote:We aren't against disagreeing.. We are against classification and partiality ;)

yep

Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

I still don't get what's the problem. Somebody enlighten me.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

_venox_ wrote:I still don't get what's the problem. Somebody enlighten me.

corruption, pm me for more info

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

If you ever figure out can you pm me about it.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Jerom wrote:

If you ever figure out can you pm me about it.

pm me

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Jerom wrote:In that case I think that people that report have to give a detailed explanation of why they reported the post rather than about three words.
Not at all. In cases where it is found that there is nothing to be moderated, you simple close the report, remarking "case dismissed."
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

yakuza wrote:We aren't against disagreeing.. We are against classification and partiality ;)

As in everyone on the team, and those who are partial usually have their decisions overturned if it comes to the attention on the team. So what's your point?

Also, if you want a debate in the public square every time a mod closes a report, this place is going to get gunked up pretty quickly. And like the public cheating accusations, I don't think people are coming to ESOC to read about how such and such mod closed someone's report. In the end, it is not at all reasonable to say staff members should give long-winded explanations every time they take action. If we did, it would drastically reduce the speed at which we can take action. If you want a more detailed response, send a PM to the mod who handled your case.

We have a choice: we can have an efficient moderating system in which a small group of people make judgement calls, or we can have a plebiscite every time we want to delete a post. I don't know about you, but the first one sounds way better to me (especially considering the issues we are handling are rarely of serious consequence, and people WILL get banned if they flaunt the rules long enough).
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

zoom wrote:Disregarding all posts ITT, I think that moderators should be required to at least note on what grounds a report was closed, without going into detail. It's unacceptable to me that moderating decisions are made without stated basis, a lot like it's unacceptable that moderators handle cases involving themselves.

By the way, speaking of reports I am never able to read anything on their closures; it's all transparent or some shit. Is this the same for anyone else? @91 @musketeer925 @Buckethead

i Can try to see if i can see it. I havent messed around with mod functionality but i do think documentation about warnings/bans is very important
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

zoom wrote:By the way, speaking of reports I am never able to read anything on their closures; it's all transparent or some shit. Is this the same for anyone else? @91 @musketeer925 @Buckethead

Try CTRL+A to select the text, as a workaround.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Papist wrote:

As in everyone on the team, and those who are partial usually have their decisions overturned if it comes to the attention on the team. So what's your point?

Also, if you want a debate in the public square every time a mod closes a report, this place is going to get gunked up pretty quickly. And like the public cheating accusations, I don't think people are coming to ESOC to read about how such and such mod closed someone's report. In the end, it is not at all reasonable to say staff members should give long-winded explanations every time they take action. If we did, it would drastically reduce the speed at which we can take action. If you want a more detailed response, send a PM to the mod who handled your case.

We have a choice: we can have an efficient moderating system in which a small group of people make judgement calls, or we can have a plebiscite every time we want to delete a post. I don't know about you, but the first one sounds way better to me (especially considering the issues we are handling are rarely of serious consequence, and people WILL get banned if they flaunt the rules long enough).
How is typing one or two words describing the reason for a moderating action "having a plebiscite???" I can't see how simply noting the basis on which an action is taken makes moderating less efficient. I can see how it would make it more efficient though...
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
zoom wrote:By the way, speaking of reports I am never able to read anything on their closures; it's all transparent or some shit. Is this the same for anyone else? @91 @musketeer925 @Buckethead

Try CTRL+A to select the text, as a workaround.
A LITERAL GENIUS, TASTELESS!
No Flag yakuza
Dragoon

Post by yakuza »

Papist wrote:

Hey, sorry mods, my mistake. Probably, my communication skills are weak.
I couldn't explain you what I meant with those simple 2 words.

As I for myself, didn't ask for any plebiscite or anything. I just asked for equality for all. everyone should be same for the mods. If my post counts as spam/ nonsense anything, a similar post by a "popular" guy here should be treated equally too.
"Also I fail to see why mods should be considered like gods, they're just average people who're here to moderate"
-[Armag] diarouga
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

yakuza wrote:
Papist wrote:

Hey, sorry mods, my mistake. Probably, my communication skills are weak.
I couldn't explain you what I meant with those simple 2 words.

As I for myself, didn't ask for any plebiscite or anything. I just asked for equality for all. everyone should be same for the mods. If my post counts as spam/ nonsense anything, a similar post by a "popular" guy here should be treated equally too.

Testing theory
No Flag IP Man
Skirmisher

Post by IP Man »

Before mods were closing the reports, and now they just dont care.
@91 @musketeer925 @_H2O @Papist @Jerom
Can somebody explain to me why some users have protection and they can flame and insult everyone else in the community and still not get warned/banned?
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

IP Man wrote:Can somebody explain to me why some users have protection and they can flame and insult everyone else in the community and still not get warned/banned?

Because we're a team of volunteer mods with limited time and resources while there are numerous users intentionally trying to make moderating difficult for us.

We're doing our best, I promise. Do your best to ignore (don't reply to) and report users who you feel are breaking rules.

As for the "Ports for 1v1 play" thread you posted in recently and then reported a bunch of stuff out of, your public attack on another user is what derailed the entire thread. Had you just reported and ignored, the thread would have stayed on topic. If a report doesn't do anything please send me a PM and I'll get it taken care of. I just spent like 10 minutes deleting the shit out of that thread that making a public moderation complaint caused. That is not the most efficient way to deal with things.
No Flag IP Man
Skirmisher

Post by IP Man »

musketeer925 wrote:
IP Man wrote:Can somebody explain to me why some users have protection and they can flame and insult everyone else in the community and still not get warned/banned?

Because we're a team of volunteer mods with limited time and resources while there are numerous users intentionally trying to make moderating difficult for us.

We're doing our best, I promise. Do your best to ignore (don't reply to) and report users who you feel are breaking rules.

As for the "Ports for 1v1 play" thread you posted in recently and then reported a bunch of stuff out of, your public attack on another user is what derailed the entire thread. Had you just reported and ignored, the thread would have stayed on topic. If a report doesn't do anything please send me a PM and I'll get it taken care of.

Its not only that thread. That same user keeps flaming and insulting other people in other threads too. Also, i didnt flame him or anything. I tried to have a civilized discussion with him, but he kept using insults for every single of his reply. I am pretty sure almost nobody who reads this forum wants to know and does not care how many people he have beaten on "his smurf".
This forum is not for him to measure his e-penis with other people, this forum is for people to talk about the game. When somebody asks for advice on this fourm, the first reply is him calling the poster a noob for "doing a specific strat".
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Okay. Just report posts and PM me if they're not being dealt with. The user has been warned.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

That's good news honestly, he's so OP that I feel ashamed and want to get rid of him as soon as possible... :hmm: Good job, musketeer! :flowers:
No Flag yakuza
Dragoon

Post by yakuza »

LOL. Good to know that I'm not the only one causing trouble for mods here ;)
-[Armag] diarouga