How many people think the "Like" feature was a good addition?

Do you like the "Like" feature?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 42

France iNcog
Ninja

Re: How many people think the "Like" feature was a good addition?

Post by iNcog »

I agree your contributions to the forum were very helpful. Indeed, all the more impressive when you look at how fucking shit proboards were to work with. Honestly I just wish that we could all just concentrate on the good, positive things that have been put on the table by people, instead of going "hey look at where [someone] totally messed up on this one, what an asshole". Unfortunately people are more quick to point out where people mess up instead of the other way around. That's just the kind of mentality which is prevalent here, can't do much about that.

I think that there hasn't been an admin, current or old, who didn't get shit from people at some point and for some reason. I think only the likes of Musketeer925 and 91 ended up being not criticized, then again if you criticize those guys you have officially no soul. Even though in the end, every single one of us just wanted to make something nice for the community. For the record, I think that's been achieved.

So... eh.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I think perhaps 91 is adjusting CSS or something?

Everything is gone, from quote to report to like. :P
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Ah yeah it looks like site is being actively worked on.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I can't edit my post anymore to tell that it was meant for @Dolan

:(
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Get 5 likes - garja deletes your post
meh
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

iNcog wrote:I question the importance of needing to say "I told you so!!" to be quite frank.

It's fine to get high and mighty about the like feature but what about the rest of the front and back end work which was done on the site? The amount of money put forward by previous and current admins? Tournaments hosted, effort made for anti-hacks? The $100 betting event? :/

I don't think any admins were interested in being big leaders or imposing their opinions, they just had their views on how to do things and that's it. Don't see the point of nit-picking about this one topic and completely ignoring the rest of the work which has been done. I think it's a bit false to just focus on what is really a secondary feature of the website and completely ignore the rest of what the admins brought to the table.

I do have respect for people who put a lot of time and money in this site, but there were also some who were riding piggyback, had the mod status in spite of doing nothing, and were just shooting everything down.

While you can argue that the opinion of people who put a lot of work should matter a little more, I don't think it should overshadow a majority of the community.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I absolutely love the „like" feature addition, I honestly think I'm the most active liker out here, as I just click that button everytime I agree with or appreciate someone's thoughts, instead of spamming posts like „+1" or just not sharing my opinion on that, which can be viable in the eyes of the others, at all!
What I would like to see more, though, is some „like" statistics, just for fun and trivia, to see, for instance, who wrote the most liked post on the forums! I personally bet it was thebritish with his beautiful masterpiece in the „Piss off ESOC forums with one sentence" thread!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

How did you quote me?

I do have respect for people who put a lot of time and money in this site, but there were also some who were riding piggyback, had the mod status in spite of doing nothing, and were just shooting everything down.

Like who? Only former admin who would come close to that is me, lol.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

iNcog wrote:How did you quote me?

Edeholland was the worst. When he finally got SOME responsibility (ESOCTV youtube channel) he wasn't even uploading all the videos, he was uploading them 1-2 weeks late, etc. Then, to be honest, I thought the next worst was you, which is one of the reasons why I hated you back then (I don't anymore). I thought all you were doing was closing topics, and that you shouldn't get a (much?) stronger voice in determining web development stuff (for example) and such than a regular user.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Umm I quoted you like normal, doesn't work for you? The whole button dissapeared for me half an hour ago but I refreshed the page and it was back
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

ovi12 wrote:

Edeholland was the worst. When he finally got SOME responsibility (ESOCTV youtube channel) he wasn't even uploading all the videos, he was uploading them 1-2 weeks late, etc. Then, to be honest, I thought the next worst was you, which is one of the reasons why I hated you back then (I don't anymore). I thought all you were doing was closing topics, and that you shouldn't get a (much?) stronger voice in determining web development stuff (for example) and such than a regular user.

Haha, to think I was getting flak from other admins for not closing enough topics. Good thing I left. ^_^

Ede was a good guy actually, was a good source of compromise during internal debates. Which is a very good quality to have.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

For just this topic I hate the like function. Its made me feel worse than any usage related to it has made me happy.

God Im sorry for being shall I just stop with it? You want to take my job then? What a shitthread.

Edit: even calling edeholland the worst.. What the fuck are you doing...

I guess ovi will be taking over all functions on esoc and then will force everyone to be disrespectful like he wants them to be, just like him.. Way to lose someone's respect.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Jerom wrote:For just this topic I hate the like function. Its made me feel worse than any usage related to it has made me happy.

God Im sorry for being shall I just stop with it? You want to take my job then? What a shitthread.

I guess ovi will be taking over all functions on esoc and then will force everyone to be disrespectful like he wants them to be, just like him.. Way to lose someone's respect.

When I was playing aoe I would've taken some responsibilities no problem. I was never eager to do it so I never asked, but if one of the mods asked me to help I would've done it.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Without commenting on any opinions, please try being less hateful and more respectful. Sometimes I think I would be an ever better moderator than Jerom. Unfortunately, in this incompatible capacity I would promptly ban myself.
:chinese:

To remain on topic: "Like" functions seem remarkably popular with young people these days.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:A like feature also needs a dislike feature. I don't like the current system.
My perpetual thoughts on the matter precisely.
musketeer925 wrote:Is the like button gone? It seems to be gone.
Oh my! What a curious coincidence...
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Dolan wrote:@iNcog
I just wanted to set the record straight on this matter. Ovi has a point that this shows that what the community wanted and has been asking for for months has been denied by the people that were admins at that time.

I am not trying to belittle the contributions in money and time made by some people to keep this community site alive. But don't try to belittle my contribution to this project while I was involved in it either. The sleepless nights working on special brackets for tournaments and donation pages and the constant struggle with the limited format of the old site on which I worked for months, to make the old, original site something that people would have liked are not worth less than the money some people invested.

There was no justification for having admins that were high-level players in the board. I still believe that. The normal thing would have been to have just a few admins with actual administration skills and experience, as well as some experience in web development. Maybe the example of the RTS Sanct site is not the best, since they also made their mistakes when they gave all sorts of special statuses to certain players just because they were their buddies, but at least RTS Sanct had admins and owners that were not high level players. I think it was a more reasonable approach, since it ascribed everyone a role they were best at.
For someone who isn't "trying to belittle the contributions in money and time" from other people, you tried awfully hard to remove them.
:coin: :ship: :idea:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Where did I do that? I think I was quite frank about recognising the contribution in time and money that other people made to this project.

The point of this topic though was to show that, in the past, admins have made bad calls, by going against what the people wanted. I pointed out that I had a different position on this issue when I was admin. And I explained why I think this happened, why those admins chose to impose their own choices on the whole community. Because the position of site admin and high level player should have never intersected, for the sake of this community. The people who should have decided how to develop, which features to enable on this site shouldn't have been those admins who were also high level players, because that wasn't what they were best at. They should have been the leaders of the patch team, or of the strategy sections, sure, but administrators in charge of maintaining and developing the site?

I see you migrated, nice location. 21.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

ovi12 wrote:
Jerom wrote:For just this topic I hate the like function. Its made me feel worse than any usage related to it has made me happy.

When I was playing aoe I would've taken some responsibilities no problem. I was never eager to do it so I never asked, but if one of the mods asked me to help I would've done it.

Yes it was also always helpful to have someone complain about really small grammar mistakes after youve spent a full day writing an article and convinced two people to proofread it.

If only you had more time!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

zoom wrote:Without commenting on any opinions, please try being less hateful and more respectful. Sometimes I think I would be an ever better moderator than Jerom. Unfortunately, in this incompatible capacity I would promptly ban myself.
:chinese:

To remain on topic: "Like" functions seem remarkably popular with young people these days.

Yes, maybe I never shouldve taken it on.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think we can all agree is that I would certainly be the best moderator, better even than zoiiiiii
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Have to agree with ovi12 here, closing topics should really almost never be done, from the perspective that any posts are good posts in a tiny community like thish. Moderators don't have the site traffic yet (or probably ever) to do things such as close threads in off topic simply because you don't enjoy the particular topic (they typically give the spam excuse)....or be forum gangsters who straight up take out their enemies they have personal beef with. It's just bad practice.

#modtheear
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums