How many people think the "Like" feature was a good addition?

Do you like the "Like" feature?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 42

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

How many people think the "Like" feature was a good addition?

Post by Jaeger »

Tbh this is just a thread created out of frustration of some of the mods' omniscient, cocky attitude; their stubborn confidence in their intellectual superiority over the whole community and the correctness of their opinion.

We have asked for a like feature since shortly after the site was created. Most of the mods vehemently opposed it just out of their own armchair philosopher opinion ( no experience) while people who actually did web development for a living (like Neuron, as a professional; no matter what you think of him personally) correctly predicted it to be a beneficial feature. But then some more level headed staff decided to implement the feature, and I think ultimately most people are enjoying it; none of the mods' world-ending predictions of making the "Like" button came true, and threads are no longer spammed with "+1".
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: How many people think the "Like" feature was a good addition?

Post by zoom »

Disappointed. No "like", "dislike" or "garja" options. What's more, the right to "+1" is sacred.

Oh, proof-read your post by the way.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

zoom wrote:Disappointed. No "like", "dislike" or "garja" options. What's more, the right to "+1" is sacred.

Better? 8/10 for effort?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

zoom wrote:Disappointed. No "like", "dislike" or "garja" options. What's more, the right to "+1" is sacred.

Lol if dislike existed on this site, LOOOOOOL
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

And it's hopefully gonna be the same since Buckethead_OP, another pro, wants to implement the cheaters blacklist, despite mods breaking our balls
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Better question:
How many people think that the "Life" feature was a good addition?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

ovi12 wrote:

Better? 8/10 for effort?
+1
... while people who actually did web development for a living (like Neuron, as a professional; no matter what you think of him personally.)
Assuming that you have read the OP at least once, it's interesting that you did not notice the above.

As for the content of your post, it features too much unnecessary and largely unfair bashing of site staff for my taste. Kaiserklein's post could be considered an indicative of this.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

ovi12 wrote:Tbh this is just a thread created out of frustration of some of the mods' omniscient, cocky attitude; their stubborn confidence in their intellectual superiority over the whole community and the correctness of their opinion.

We have asked for a like feature since shortly after the site was created. Most of the mods vehemently opposed it just out of their own armchair philosopher opinion ( no experience)

I think you're being a little unfair on this one.

Not sure why you would start a topic like this one which has basically no other purpose than to talk smack at ESOC staff? :/

A bit disappointing that you'd vent your frustration this way, there are better ways to do it. Yes, I know, that's rich coming from you incog. still :/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

ovi12 wrote:Tbh this is just a thread created out of frustration of some of the mods' omniscient, cocky attitude; their stubborn confidence in their intellectual superiority over the whole community and the correctness of their opinion.

We have asked for a like feature since shortly after the site was created. Most of the mods vehemently opposed it just out of their own armchair philosopher opinion ( no experience) while people who actually did web development for a living (like Neuron, as a professional; no matter what you think of him personally). But then some more level headed staff decided to implement the feature, and I think ultimately most people are enjoying it; none of the mods' world-ending predictions of making the "Like" button came true, and threads are no longer spammed with "+1".

+1
r]
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Constructive criticism of moderator abuse (biased or unlawful moderating) is a good thing. Spiteful and demeaning personal attacks – as prominently featured in the OP – are a bad thing. Moderators seem to receive enough abuse themselves already.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

zoom wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

Better? 8/10 for effort?
+1
... while people who actually did web development for a living (like Neuron, as a professional; no matter what you think of him personally.)
Assuming that you have read the OP at least once, it's interesting that you did not notice the above.

As for the content of your post, it features too much unnecessary and largely unfair bashing of site staff for my taste. Kaiserklein's post could be considered an indicative of this.

What's wrong with that sentence? The period?

@iNcog @zoom

It might be unnecessary but I don't think its unfair. I'm not attacking the mods for not doing enough work, or for a hard decision like Umeu vs Kynesie, or anything else like that. I also didn't name any specific people. I am just pointing out a case where the mods were against a requested feature that most of the community wanted, because they thought just because they are mods they knew better. I am hoping this makes them less reluctant to question their very entrenched stances on some issues.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Fair enough but mods need some slack now and then. Their work is honestly cut out for them. ^^
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

ovi12 wrote:
zoom wrote:
Show hidden quotes
+1

@iNcog @zoom

It might be unnecessary but I don't think its unfair. I'm not attacking the mods for not doing enough work, or for a hard decision like Umeu vs Kynesie, or anything else like that. I also didn't name any specific people. I am just pointing out a case where the mods were against a requested feature that most of the community wanted, because they thought just because they are mods they knew better. I am hoping this makes them less reluctant to question their very entrenched stances on some issues.
You must be either blind or a troll:
Most of the mods vehemently opposed it just out of their own armchair philosopher opinion ( no experience) while people who actually did web development for a living (like Neuron, as a professional; no matter what you think of him personally).
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Honestly though, just being a web developer doesnt make you a UX expert. The chance might be bigger, but i know plenty of devs who dont have a clue about usability and common user patterns etc
United States of America jamesmp98
Dragoon
ESO: jamesmp98

Post by jamesmp98 »

91 wrote:Honestly though, just being a web developer doesnt make you a UX expert. The chance might be bigger, but i know plenty of devs who dont have a clue about usability and common user patterns etc

Typically designers are going to understand UX better.
best german stratgey

1. age with 3 settler wagon
2. make pike
3. push
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Are you kids trying to say "user experience" without me realizing it?
: (
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

zoom wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

@iNcog @zoom

Most of the mods vehemently opposed it just out of their own armchair philosopher opinion ( no experience) while people who actually did web development for a living (like Neuron, as a professional; no matter what you think of him personally).

Nice. You only wrote exactly what was not wrong. I assumed my sentence continued after the parenthesis in the OP
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

91 wrote:Honestly though, just being a web developer doesnt make you a UX expert. The chance might be bigger, but i know plenty of devs who dont have a clue about usability and common user patterns etc

That's fair. I'm not quite sure exactly what experience Neuron @Dolan had, but I'd much rather trust someone who does related stuff for a living than some guys who had never made a website before. The like feature was requested by the majority of esoc regardless, and the contemporary mods thought they knew better than to grant a harmless feature with almost unanimous support
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

ovi12 wrote:
zoom wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Nice. You only wrote exactly what was not wrong. I assumed my sentence continued after the parenthesis in the OP
I don't think I understand you, but from all my posts (I just double-checked) it's clear as day what the issue was.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Thanks for the appreciation.

I wasn't involved in this site at all (the phpBB3-based forum), I was involved in the development and administration of the old site on Proboards. It was actually quite difficult to make it have a decent interface and functionality, considering we had absolutely no control over the backend (which was a custom-made CMS, based on PHP templating and MySQL databases; the frontend that we could control to some extent was mostly based on jQuery/jQuery UI and some vanilla JS).

This issue with the Like feature came up lots of times in the admin chat. I was on the fence, I took a neutral position, I made a poll (I think) asking people if they wanted a Like button. Most of them voted in favour. But I remember there was strong opposition from some of the admins back then (I believe Goodspeed and possibly H2O). They were concerned a Like feature would have made people say only stuff that would bring them likes, so they wouldn't have expressed their real opinions, just opinions that would have been likely to be popular (to get more likes). I think I insisted at least twice for, at least, enabling the Like button so we can test how people would use it. Eventually, as with most of my proposals, it got rejected so there wasn't anything I could do.

Yeah, eventually it didn't turn out to be that bad. I don't mean to throw any blame, but indeed it's probably better if the people who are qualified to administrate and develop a site are admins, and the others who want big titles just for their own ego, get some special roles with special priviledges. It really made no sense that we had so many admins back then (we had 6, I think). I just wanted admins to be invisible people who would work to improve the site for the community, not big "leaders" who would impose their choices on the rest of the community. But anyway, it's all water under the bridge now.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I question the importance of needing to say "I told you so!!" to be quite frank.

It's fine to get high and mighty about the like feature but what about the rest of the front and back end work which was done on the site? The amount of money put forward by previous and current admins? Tournaments hosted, effort made for anti-hacks? The $100 betting event? :/

I don't think any admins were interested in being big leaders or imposing their opinions, they just had their views on how to do things and that's it. Don't see the point of nit-picking about this one topic and completely ignoring the rest of the work which has been done. I think it's a bit false to just focus on what is really a secondary feature of the website and completely ignore the rest of what the admins brought to the table.
Garja wrote:
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

A like feature also needs a dislike feature. I don't like the current system.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@iNcog
I just wanted to set the record straight on this matter. Ovi has a point that this shows that what the community wanted and has been asking for for months has been denied by the people that were admins at that time.

I am not trying to belittle the contributions in money and time made by some people to keep this community site alive. But don't try to belittle my contribution to this project while I was involved in it either. The sleepless nights working on special brackets for tournaments and donation pages and the constant struggle with the limited format of the old site on which I worked for months, to make the old, original site something that people would have liked are not worth less than the money some people invested.

There was no justification for having admins that were high-level players in the board. I still believe that. The normal thing would have been to have just a few admins with actual administration skills and experience, as well as some experience in web development. Maybe the example of the RTS Sanct site is not the best, since they also made their mistakes when they gave all sorts of special statuses to certain players just because they were their buddies, but at least RTS Sanct had admins and owners that were not high level players. I think it was a more reasonable approach, since it ascribed everyone a role they were best at.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Is the like button gone? It seems to be gone.
United States of America jamesmp98
Dragoon
ESO: jamesmp98

Post by jamesmp98 »

WTF the whole damn little button group is gone for me.
best german stratgey

1. age with 3 settler wagon
2. make pike
3. push