User Information Function Bugs

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

User Information Function Bugs

Post by zoom »

Hai.

In order to edit my signature, I must do so via ["User Control Panel"->"Profile"]. I cannot do so via ["Profile]. Surely this is a bug or flaw of some kind.

Also, In the "Profile" page reached from the drop-down menu in the top right of the site, the contact information is too far right – at least in my case.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: User Information Function Bugs

Post by pecelot »

I don't think it's a bug, „Profile" shows you your profile outlook, while you can change it using „User Control Panel". I think it's perfectly fine.
I don't have such an issue in the second case, personally.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

There is absolutely no sense in having one page where you can edit and view your own profile, and another where you can only edit it. Either remove the latter or make it the exact same.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

The thing is, using the „User Control Panel" you can't see your profile page, it's just a sort of editor, whereas using the „Profile" feature you can see how others see you! They are two different things, although I agree, they could be in the same section. Still, it's pretty trivial and irrelevant IMO.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Yeah the profile is the view others see of you. Its easier to have just one, or at least bake everything into the same tabs. But its just built that way as default..

Btw, the user control panel is likely to get some change soon. It is pretty ugly right now. It is just a pretty big task because there is soo much functionality and different pages/sections in there
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

pecelot wrote:The thing is, using the „User Control Panel" you can't see your profile page, it's just a sort of editor, whereas using the „Profile" feature you can see how others see you! They are two different things, although I agree, they could be in the same section. Still, it's pretty trivial and irrelevant IMO.
You absolutely can see your profile page using the control panel.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

@zoom , can you show me how? Because I'm quite sure that it's not possible.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

pecelot wrote:@zoom , can you show me how? Because I'm quite sure that it's not possible.

User control panel -> tab "profile" -> under submenu find link "edit profile [view profile]". Which basically takes you out of the control panel to the profile
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Ah, yeah, I didn't notice that in the first place. But by having a separate „Profile" tab available from wherever you are at ESOC you have a nice shortcut to see your profile!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

pecelot wrote:Ah, yeah, I didn't notice that in the first place. But by having a separate „Profile" tab available from wherever you are at ESOC you have a nice shortcut to see your profile!
Yes. What I'm saying is that you should have an even nicer shortcut to both see and edit your profile.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

zoom wrote:
pecelot wrote:Ah, yeah, I didn't notice that in the first place. But by having a separate „Profile" tab available from wherever you are at ESOC you have a nice shortcut to see your profile!
Yes. What I'm saying is that you should have an even nicer shortcut to both see and edit your profile.

I can maybe link the profile link (in the top menu) to the edit profile page/tab, and make a bit clearer link like "what does my profile look like for other users?" which will take you there. But the i also do feel that the top menu then has two links to the user control panel which gets a bit confusing and unnecessary. Maybe just "user control panel" is enough in that case?

Thoughts?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I agree, that would be simplier and better.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

91 wrote:
zoom wrote:

I can maybe link the profile link (in the top menu) to the edit profile page/tab, and make a bit clearer link like "what does my profile look like for other users?" which will take you there. But the i also do feel that the top menu then has two links to the user control panel which gets a bit confusing and unnecessary. Maybe just "user control panel" is enough in that case?

Thoughts?
Either one would be fine. I'd go with the latter, because although the profile page(s) are (I would assume) by far the most visisted ones, they are very accessible from the user control-panel page.