Discussing moderation with Duck

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Discussing moderation with Duck

Post by sdsanft »

Tonight @fightinfrenchman , @evilcheadar , @site , @noissance and I had a discussion with duck ( @Vinyanyérë ) where he graciously agreed to discuss some moderating discussions with us. It was very helpful for me and the others and I was hoping this same thing could happen with some of the other community members in order to help fix relations and make the way ESOC is ran more transparent. We had the idea of collecting questions from the community regarding this topic in a thread, and then having the moderating team altogether preselect some of these questions and answer them live for the whole community to hear. Can we make this happen?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: Discussing moderation with Duck

Post by deleted_user »

Honestly why don't the sit devs just increase the opacity of the background? Boom! Transparency ensues.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

deleted_user wrote:Honestly why don't the sit devs just increase the opacity of the background? Boom! Transparency ensues.

2/10 increasing opacity makes it more opaque 2 points for effort
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

milku3459 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Honestly why don't the sit devs just increase the opacity of the background? Boom! Transparency ensues.

:(

I always fuck up that word's proper meaning. am lowbob in aoe and englishshsh
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

deleted_user wrote:
milku3459 wrote:

:(

I always fuck up that word's proper meaning. am lowbob in aoe and englishshsh

Time to speake ze fwenchies
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I think the Small Claims court is a move in the right direction but certain members of the community team really need to be held accountable for their actions. I would like there to be a higher standard of professionalism expected from the staff, barring them from making personal attacks on people and not using their moderation powers on people they have biases against.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I agree.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

@edeholland @EAGLEMUT @pecelot @Buckethead I'm sure people would like to be able to ask you questions in a public setting. Something like a live AMA would be nice, though it could easily be turned into flame war, though duck and I did think of some ways to avoid this, are you guys interested in making something similar happen?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Like we discussed on Discord, Small Claims Court was quite a big step forward in terms of transparency and public moderating after so much time of handling such issues via PMs, therefore we'd ideally wait a bit to see how it's received within the community to later on draw some conclusions based on that and think about further solutions, if a problem would still exist, of course :!:
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I think the Small Claims court is a move in the right direction but certain members of the community team really need to be held accountable for their actions. I would like there to be a higher standard of professionalism expected from the staff, barring them from making personal attacks on people and not using their moderation powers on people they have biases against.

After all the crap you have done over the years you have been here, you cannot seriously be putting the blame on the moderators... On any other forum, you and cheadar would have been permabanned a long time ago.

It's the equivalent of the criminal blaming the police for his crimes, and I just can't stomach it.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Papist wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I think the Small Claims court is a move in the right direction but certain members of the community team really need to be held accountable for their actions. I would like there to be a higher standard of professionalism expected from the staff, barring them from making personal attacks on people and not using their moderation powers on people they have biases against.

After all the crap you have done over the years you have been here, you cannot seriously be putting the blame on the moderators... On any other forum, you and cheadar would have been permabanned a long time ago.

It's the equivalent of the criminal blaming the police for his crimes, and I just can't stomach it.

I was permabanned from this forum a while ago actually
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Papist wrote:

> permabanned
> a while

This is what's wrong with the moderation.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

> permabanned
> a while

This is what's wrong with the moderation.

We were actually each perma banned twice so
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think there should be a judge Judy type court where I'm judge judy
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Papist wrote:

And yet here you are. If anything, the team is biased in your favor because you are invited back no matter what you do.

Sorry if I sound harsh - you are just the last person who should be complaining about moderation.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Papist wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

And yet here you are. If anything, the team is biased in your favor because you are invited back no matter what you do.

Sorry if I sound harsh - you are just the last person who should be complaining about moderation.

Well a good friend of mine was just banned for a year for no real reason so I think I have plenty of reason to complain.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Papist wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well a good friend of mine was just banned for a year for no real reason so I think I have plenty of reason to complain.

I don't know why he was banned, but I'm pretty sure it was for a legitimate reason. The community team isn't biased against you - if they were you wouldn't be here. Let cheadar serve his time (I'm sure it won't be a year), and stop making a bigger deal out of it than there needs to be.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

In the end its the moderators job to judge what to moderate. I have no problem so long as they give a reason (which was specified), and whilst it may seem a bit unjust, particularly for a year, it is their forum and their rules which we have to obey by. However I do have a problem in that their own staff do sometimes not abide by the same standard, it creates unnecessary controversy. It has become pretty clear that there is definitely a bias between moderation of the staff and the (certain) members. Obviously I don't have the whole picture, but I would like think that there is discussion with the staff about this.

But the reality is that is is the moderators job to moderate, and they are in the position now to do so because they have been chosen by the actions they have previously done, which presumably demonstrate reasonable responsibility to be fair in the community. I could therefore presume that although although I don't have the full picture that the bans would be justifiable in most circumstance but the way they are conveyed to the banned member is a bit silly.

For instance I could see why they would ban Cheadar (I'm not going to discuss this, its just an example and showing understanding of both sides) because over a long period of time he has done some minor wrongdoings but they have added up (again I don't have the full picture), but the reason why they have banned him now, for a year, is stupid.

For those same things that Cheadar did to get banned, a lot of people (including myself) have done similar things. I don't mind people moderating, just favouritism which is quite large in this forum.

Oh and I really hate seeing these threads, like I have said a lot in this post, moderating reasons are for the mods to consider, not anyone else. They are a mod for a reason.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

What did Cheadar do?
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

^me also want to know...

If it is because of not doing the dance yet, it's deserved and unban should only be given in exchange for the dance.... while wearing a brahpls
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

dietschlander wrote:^me also want to know...

If it is because of not doing the dance yet, it's deserved and unban should only be given in exchange for the dance.... while wearing a brahpls

That's not the reason but don't worry we will release the video of him being shot shortly