Dutch Consulate Build as Japanese

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Dutch Consulate Build as Japanese

Post by gamevideo113 »

This is my first attempt at writing some sort of strategy down so it might be a bit of a mess :grin:

Premise: this build order was tested with a wood crate start and no treasures. In an actual game you need to keep these variables in mind.

BUILD

Usual start, gather the crates and put all vills on food except for a couple of vills that will gather 25 wood.
With your explorers build a trading post and a shrine. The trading post is necessary in order to have our third shipment ready by the time we age up.
Move all your villagers to food and age up asap (it should be possible to start aging before the 3 minute mark) with the toshogu shrine.
1st shipment: 2 villagers. It's not really obligatory to send 2 vills but i think it's the most appropriate shipment in this circumstance.
Once you start aging, queue another vill and move all of your villagers to wood except 6. Remember to switch the shrine to wood. With the wood that you are gathering you should build:
-2 shrines
-Consulate
The consulate will be ready more or less when diplomatic intrigue arrives if you use 1 villager for its construction.
2nd shipment: Good faith agreements. We will need this to get the dutch bank.
You will hit age 2 at max 5 minutes if you did everything correctly, and you will have 1 shipment ready to send.
3rd shipment: Diplomatic intrigue.
When you have gathered enough wood to build a barracks, switch the shrines to food and move 5 vills to gold while all the rest goes on food.
Wait until diplomatic intrigue arrives to ally with the dutch. Send the bank first and queue a batch of stadthouders next.
Produce 5 ashigarus from the barracks, and once you have the bank up you can leave just a couple of vills on gold in order to keep producing ashi from the barracks and move the rest to wood/food.

At 6:20 minutes, if your execution is not too bad, you should have:

1 shipment ready; what you will send with this shipment is up to you, but i suggest that you send 600 wood so that you can build a market, start getting some upgrades, maybe add a couple of shrines or a second barracks etc etc.

ECO:
23 villagers
1 bank
Dutch cons trickle (the bank, together with the alliance trickle, equals about 6 vills on gold)
1 trading post
Toshogu shrine
3 shrines

ARMY:
6 stadthouders
5 ashi

Also, since you have already sent GFA and diplomatic intrigue you can use the consulate very comfortably for the rest of the game.

That's it. Let me know what you think about this build. I don't know if it's any good. I just enjoyed trying it and writing the build down. :smile: (I might edit this post in the future if necessary.)

Video demonstration a few posts below.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Dutch Consulate Rush as Japanese

Post by deleted_user0 »

sorry but 11 units at 6.20 is not a rush :/
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Re: Dutch Consulate Rush as Japanese

Post by gamevideo113 »

Yeah i misworded. I meant "rush" as in "getting the dutch consulate with its benefits asap" (rushing the consulate). I'll see if i can find a better title.
Anyway if you want to make it a more proper rush i think it's possible to skip the bank and send a second batch of stadthouders instead. In that case it's probably better not to send GFA though, and save the shipment for ashi/yumi.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Dutch Consulate Build as Japanese

Post by Garja »

For Japan standards it's a rush, altho there is no proxy building.
Btw, I would cav start on this.
Image Image Image
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

What's the benefit of starting cav with japan?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Vs rushes mostly.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Garja wrote:For Japan standards it's a rush, altho there is no proxy building.
Btw, I would cav start on this.

nah japan can get more units faster easily.
United States of America Inst
Skirmisher
ESO: Inst

Post by Inst »

Did Portuguese ever get nerfed? I just have a hard time seeing anything but ports as Japan's main consulate choice, although they'd benefit by switching out later.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

The portuguese consulate is fine, but i think it's not the only viable option. I compared my build with this:
phpBB [video]

Same wood crate start, with treasures, at 6:20 H2O's eco is:
24 vills
8 shrines with heavenly kami
Toshogu shrine
Market already up but only 1 upgrade so far i believe

He has 5 more shrines than the ducth build but the bank totally makes up for it and on top of that there is the TP and GFA with diplomatic intrigue.1 more villager is not a big deal (H2O sent 4 vills as his first shipment). Also he doesn't have any army yet.

Braidon on the other hand has 11 shrines and 28 vills but that's because his build was slightly quicker and he delayed the barracks and the market.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Gameplay demonstration of the build.
I played quite sloppy, so maybe i could have won this game but i'm not that good with japan and also it was the first time for me up against a german mercenary spam. My macro tends to become worse and worse by the minute, so i hope you'll excuse me if the game is of low quality, but hopefully it can showcase the build decently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-w1n1j ... e=youtu.be

EDIT: Seems like there is some trouble with youtube saying that the video is too long. I'll try to upload it again.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Thanks for the help! Video is up and running now :flowers:
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I often use the dutch consulate early, when i want to open naginata, and stadhouders are (ironically) better vs cav than ashigaru in colonial. Im not sure what i think of the early bank, but i want to give it a shot. Opening cav as japan lets you raid and since literally no one expects japan raids it seems to make them more effective than they should be. I've gotta dust off my japan hc and try a few dutch consulate builds

As a side note:vs german merc spam try to get some ninjas from the japan consulate they are insane vs mercs
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

I think the bank resonates a lot with the japanese playstyle - sitting in base with low natural resources consumtion.
Anyway it isn't a whole lot different from booming with shrines in terms of the result. Heavenly kami probably starts to help a bit sooner.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

All very true.i tend to gravitate toward just going earlytradepost kami-600 wood 4v 4v 300export for a nice colonial dutch consulate boom(consulate off 600 wood) 12 stadhouders and lots of nagi. Still need to iron out the kinks but the kami cheapens your shrine boom (honestly imo going kami & port consulate feels so overkill), gets a good vill count asap, and grabbing market ups early too. I'm not aure if it's better than standard but it feels good so far. Need to start playing against some captain+ with the build
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Nah i don't think kami+port cons is overkill, also because it cheapens your age up so you can be up more quickly.
The problem i have with stadthouders is that they are just 4 speed so grouping them with ashi is a bit awkward. Besides that, it's a good unit.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Tbh i almost never train ashi. I prefer a nagi-yumi-stadhouder colonial and yumi-nagi-yabusame in fortress.
I honestly can't remember the last time i trained ashi except when i specifically train them for cheesy ashi raids with speedy pavillion...
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Except yabusame aren't anti cav...
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

They do just fine vs most cav.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Except yabusame aren't anti cav...

Yumi are :uglylol: :uglylol: :uglylol:
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

dansil92 wrote:They do just fine vs most cav.

Not really.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gamevideo113 wrote:

Ye but you need something to block against good cav (china, France) so need ashis or yamabushis.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:

Ye but you need something to block against good cav (china, France) so need ashis or yamabushis.

yumi-nagi-yabusame
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Not enough against goon/cuir or China. Anyway, if you go for that composition, why do you even make yabusame lol? Nagis covered by yumis are just better.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Not enough against goon/cuir or China. Anyway, if you go for that composition, why do you even make yabusame lol? Nagis covered by yumis are just better.

I'll never have more than 10 yabu at any time, they are just long range dps and good against a surprise arty pop. Im honestly not sure they are needed but it just feels more comfortable having a ranged cav