Best Complementary Civ Combos for Team Play

No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Best Complementary Civ Combos for Team Play

Post by abbadan »

I noticed that BOTH teams chose to go India-Dutch in the first game of the 2v2 Finals, and it got me wondering WHY? Is it because they need different resources, and so leave plenty of space for the other's development? Does the Indian rush give time for the Dutch to build up?
I don't know enough to really say on my own, but I'm interested in hearing which Civs people feel are best suited to team with other Civs, and why they make powerful combos.
I often play Russia and was wondering, also, what would be a great Civ for my partner to play...
Please don't flame me. Thanks!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: Best Complementary Civ Combos for Team Play

Post by gibson »

Some civs just synchronize well together due to their relative strengths and weaknesses
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

I've found Dutch/Germany to be a great combination.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

I think something nice about india/Dutch is that they both have early potential thanks to fast age ups, but they also scale well with above average ecos (even after 10/10 as long as you keep constant vill production) and they are arguably the 2 least map dependent civs. Another great thing is how well their units synergize, such as sepoy/skirm.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

Zamb + Skrim mid game is best Skrim/goon combo out there. Both scale well with insane mid games, both don't need the map but can still take it with Agra and Dutchs fast age time. And they are just two of the better team game civs. Tbh India goes well with any other civ there just so versatile can rush,boom, Skrim Zamb or Musk etc.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Because nothing competes with india in 2v2 and both dutch and india have insane ecos as well as the best skirms and the best anti cav
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Honest question: aren't lbows/yumis the best skirms since they beat skirms and then between those two doesn't the 2v2 edge go to brits for not being complete ass early game?
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

india is the best 2v2 civ imo. best defense, good eco, good late-game units, and can play aggresively too. with india as teammate, you can generally pick any civ, and play any build.
Germany agrondergermane
Skirmisher
Donator 01

Post by agrondergermane »

deleted_user wrote:Honest question: aren't lbows/yumis the best skirms since they beat skirms and then between those two doesn't the 2v2 edge go to brits for not being complete ass early game?

hmm, but u cant kite with lb, maybe that could be a problem in the early game
-Deep down I know it's me, and deep down I know you are so jealous :).- Sir_Musket 2018
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Brit/ger, Brit/fre, Brit/rus *EP, India/dutch, Jap/India.

Brit is prolly the best team civ, as they gel very well with any civ that has good musketeers or heavy cav in age 2. India is also very good, but a little less versatile in age 2 than brit.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

india with sepoy and russia with tons of strelets is great for a rush.
brit french musk hus classic.
Some people argue sioux with br with dutch or otto teammate(for good skirm age2 ) are decent. I tend to disagree, sioux has no place in team games imo. Some people ask me to "change lame civ or kick" when I join the room which for me sound very irritating as I consider them by far the worst team civ.
Dragoon

Post by __Uhlan__ »

Darwin_ wrote:Brit/ger, Brit/fre, Brit/rus *EP, India/dutch, Jap/India.

Brit is prolly the best team civ, as they gel very well with any civ that has good musketeers or heavy cav in age 2. India is also very good, but a little less versatile in age 2 than brit.

How is India less versatile lol? India is the best team civ on both patches, especially on re, re there is no competition, on ep port/dutch are right there.
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

tedere12 wrote:india with sepoy and russia with tons of strelets is great for a rush.
brit french musk hus classic.
Some people argue sioux with br with dutch or otto teammate(for good skirm age2 ) are decent. I tend to disagree, sioux has no place in team games imo. Some people ask me to "change lame civ or kick" when I join the room which for me sound very irritating as I consider them by far the worst team civ.

Sioux/otto on RE is definitely extremely good. Sioux starts 4 ar with 5 ar trained with br after, otto does quick 5 jan and 5 abus into pure abus. It is insane from my experience. Especially if Sioux can get 14v up, or even fast age if they get big xp treasure. Sioux just in general is quite good in team games. However, they do have a few weak spots: you can kinda just like musk rush them and win. But, Sioux can easily raid themselves back into the game from my experience. Musk rush does work against them a lot of the time, however, if they have dutch/otto/brit/even india with them, all in rushing the Sioux guy will be pretty hard, let alone even getting their tc down.
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

__Uhlan__ wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:Brit/ger, Brit/fre, Brit/rus *EP, India/dutch, Jap/India.

How is India less versatile lol? India is the best team civ on both patches, especially on re, re there is no competition, on ep port/dutch are right there.

Yeah they are insane, but they just can't do cav in age 2. This is really only a problem if you do random teams, but if you don't do random India is probably one of the best. They do have sepoy which are insane, as well as age 2 skirm/goon, which is prolly enough to make up for how shitty sowar are as heavy cav.

The reason why I said that brit is more versatile is that pretty much regardless of what civ they are with, they stay around the same strength becuase brit can do pretty much anything in age 2. I personally just feel more comfortable going into a game playing brit than india.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

abbadan wrote:I noticed that BOTH teams chose to go India-Dutch in the first game of the 2v2 Finals, and it got me wondering WHY? Is it because they need different resources, and so leave plenty of space for the other's development? Does the Indian rush give time for the Dutch to build up?
I don't know enough to really say on my own, but I'm interested in hearing which Civs people feel are best suited to team with other Civs, and why they make powerful combos.
I often play Russia and was wondering, also, what would be a great Civ for my partner to play...
Please don't flame me. Thanks!

- We went India/Dutch. They, knowing we probably thought it through, maybe just decided to then pick that combo as well :D
- Why, several things already mentioned. But basically these are the best team civs (with port) at current EP. Both have insane eco, good units, and the weakness of dutch not having musk is solved by india sepoy/zamb in age 2. Especially given the lower resource map, where india takes less food (vil cost wood) and can agra for map control. Sepoy skirm early on with good micro is also just an insane combo. And sure something like sepoy strelet is hard, but that is still counterable by for example ghurka + hus, just requires good micro and not committing too early when they might outmass early on.
- The Indian rush doesnt give Dutch so much time per se, more the fact that there is the agra with 5k hp which is just too much.
- Yumi are op, own almost anything so i just leave it there. Lb sure are good, but early on skirm do better since you can move around and micro better as there is no animation time. Once you commit with lb, it can be hard to micro your way back if you have to. Ofc, later on, big lb masses are very good. They scale better in bigger masses as long as they dont have to move too much. Consider for example an lb goon vs skirm goon fight. If the lb goon find out they cant take it, its hard to go back as the skirm guy can just shoot run in better than the lb guy. Should the skirm goon guy need to go back, they can easier do so since its harder for the lb to keep up.
- Russia and Brit are also very good, probably still 4/5th civ or so for team.
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

When in doubt, just do brit/russia on EP, and brit/fre on RE.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

why india cant do cav? They got 3 age 2 upgrades on camels, all of them great cards, and the sowars are really good vs ranged infantry even without them. They are ofc pretty easy to kill because of their low hp but you can't deny their existance.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Germany/Russia on RE is pretty insane man, the russian guy is rushing you so hard while germany is raiding you :/
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Dragoon

Post by __Uhlan__ »

NekoBerk wrote:Germany/Russia on RE is pretty insane man, the russian guy is rushing you so hard while germany is raiding you :/

nah they have no good musket or goon. If your good at defending raids your fine. Can break the bh pretty easy after the initial rush.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

Hmm, India has better musk, ranged infantry (atleast early on as veni explained) and age 2 goons. Brit has better cav. In terms of eco, brits are better but they churn through hunts so quickly that it's basically a moot point unless they have map control, compared to India who can play super aggressively but still has a decent scaling eco with great units and unbreakable map control. It seems obvious to me that India is better, but I guess it could be argued that Brit is easier to play, so if that's what you mean, then I guess you're right.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

tedere12 wrote:why india cant do cav? They got 3 age 2 upgrades on camels, all of them great cards, and the sowars are really good vs ranged infantry even without them. They are ofc pretty easy to kill because of their low hp but you can't deny their existance.

Well sowar just don't do as well vs. musk as Hussars do. If the other team is doing xbow/pike and cav than sowar are prolly not that bad. They just aren't as versatile as hussars.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I like india dutch and india france.
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

India-brit.. Anyone?
India gets early map control and defense for brit. And has low food requirement early on.
Can either go sepoy gurkha- Hussar.
Or sowar zamb- musk lb.
Good team cards. And both scale well in late colonial.
Ofcourse there are many other good combos..