Tricking opponents into thinking you're aging?

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

In some matchups (like brit mirror for example) if player A ages first and is not immediately attacked by player B, he concludes player B is aging as well, because that's the standard and logical and sraightforward way to play. Would it be good sometimes for player B to not age and NOT attack either? Player A will assume he is aging and push out of his base with probably not a large amount of anticav or something like that, giving player B a chance to surprise him with a lot of units and trap his whole army.

Sure you can say player A can scout, but if you try it's very easy to hide your army from being scouted.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

I once got tricked by ottolamer. I thought he's aging. I focused aging too and before I start aging. A lot abus and jans at my base, gg. I should have scouted '(
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

- it's actually not very easy if the guy scouts well (= any good player). first hard to hide army, but also the time you build your barrack/stable tells a lot, and any player scout that..
- if the guy is a good player he will check the mines, how much gold was taken from them. if 400 ish, the guy aged, if more, hes making unit. i used to do that long time ago to know if I could blind strls/coss rush someone when ppl were trying those tricks.
--> just doesnt work :p but I've seen so many stuff that officially shouldn't work which ended up working well even vs good players, that why not after all
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

benj89 wrote:- it''s actually not very easy if the guy scouts well (= any good player). first hard to hide army, but also the time you build your barrack/stable tells a lot, and any player scout that..
- if the guy is a good player he will check the mines, how much gold was taken from them. if 400 ish, the guy aged, if more, hes making unit. i used to do that long time ago to know if I could blind strls/coss rush someone when ppl were trying those tricks.
-->' just doesnt work :p but I''ve seen so many stuff that officially shouldn''t work which ended up working well even vs good players, that why not after all
Well they send explorer or 1 unit to scout, if youre fast you can just kill it with 5 units before they get to seeur whole army. Also, i''m not talking necesarily about fast 8 min semi ff, in brit mirror for example first guy to age can age as late as like 11 mins, where the gold from mines isn''t so clear. And for time to build rax/stable, im just saying both civs starting age 2 and the 1 aging, so they would both have 2 rax 1 stable or w/e

Like for exmaple when I play german vs french. I do semi ff with germany and the guy goes musk huss. But after the first fight it''s really hard for me to know if hes aging. If I try to scout, he can attack my 2 uhlans or explorer with 5 musk before I see his whole army and it''s to risky for me to go forward with skirms to see because after first fight I usually have like 8 skirms and 2-4 uhlans left, so if hes not aging he can crush that army.
Switzerland glorious_
Dragoon
ESO: Revan

Post by glorious_ »

ovi12 wrote:In some matchups (like brit mirror for example) if player A ages first and is not immediately attacked by player B, he concludes player B is aging as well, because that''s the standard and logical and sraightforward way to play. Would it be good sometimes for player B to not age and NOT attack either? Player A will assume he is aging and push out of his base with probably not a large amount of anticav or something like that, giving player B a chance to surprise him with a lot of units and trap his whole army.

Sure you can say player A can scout, but if you try it''s very easy to hide your army from being scouted.
actually if there is a huge level difference probably but let''s be honest your deck tells a lot. And stopping him from scouting is hard. As benji said barracks and stuff say a lot about it.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Stuff like this is the reason (well, one of the reasons) why the best players like aggressive playstyles. It's impossible to get tricked if you're constantly pressuring the other guy, after all you're always scouting his army.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

calmyourtits wrote:Stuff like this is the reason (well, one of the reasons) why the best players like aggressive playstyles. It''s impossible to get tricked if you''re constantly pressuring the other guy, after all you''re always scouting his army.
What do you do tho for exmaple when you are germany vs french? You just had the first fight and have like 5 skirms and 4 low hp uhlans left over. You really can''t affor to send any of your uhlans to scout because he could just come in your base with 5 or 10 huss and rek you.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Send the uhlan out anyway. And if you're scared of a cav push, wall in your skirms. In any case I'd prefer to send WW over skirms against a French player in colonial.