How can i improve my strategies in long term?

Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

How can i improve my strategies in long term?

Post by NekoBerk »

Hey, i'm having troubles with things like decision making like when you don't know what's a better decision for beat your opponent and improvise when the game takes too long (like 20+ mins or so). You know, that moment when there isn't natural resources anymore and you must make mills and plantations while you're fighting, that's painful, because there is a great idle time of villagers and you just can't keep making units in 10 by 10 or 15 by 15 (like goons 5 goons + 10 LBs). I think that know the timmings are specially important in strategy too, i think that i have to know in which minute the civ that i'm using is stronger than my opponent so i can try to push hard and it can be otherwise too for avoid that the time when he gets stronger arrives.

Idk, "Strategy" is something kinda ambiguous for me, it can include a lot of things, i just know that i'm bad making decisions and improvising beyond a build order.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Re: How can i improve my strategys in long term?

Post by macacoalbino »

Try to end the game before that point with a timing push.
If the game gets to that stage anyway you can try and invest in mills or just accept there's no res anymore and go all in with vill fighting or trying to catch your opponent milling...

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Think about the match-up and its characteristic. Who is on the advantage when the game drags for longer? Who has lost more vills so far? Is your composition good enough to push? Have you sent 1000f for a timing or Refrigeration for long-term plan? Answer such questions and draw conclusions. Also, remember to use all game features. If you didn't get trading posts, do it. If there are interesting natives (think Sufi Kreygasm), built a TP there. Are there any treasures left? Perhaps some good ones, like 10-%-HP boost for your infantry? Wall up, research all market, arsenal upgrades, later add a church etc. Wall and raid with goons :!:
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Play more u will learn
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Here's an awesome video where Ryan gives live advice on strategy decisions during the course of a fairly long game, very insightful:

phpBB [video]
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: How can i improve my strategies in long term?

Post by pecelot »

You can also watch game 2 from here:
viewtopic.php?f=244&t=10492
:ugeek:
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer

Post by NekoBerk »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Here's an awesome video where Ryan gives live advice on strategy decisions during the course of a fairly long game, very insightful:

phpBB [video]

This video just motivated me SO HARD! :D :D, i can feel that vibe that tells me that i must keep going improving in the game! :uglylol: :uglylol: :uglylol:

"And we hate po-po
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

That video of h20 coaching callen might be the most valuable tool for helping noobs. Everyone check it out!!
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
No Flag The_red_c0w
Crossbow

Post by The_red_c0w »

Yeah, I'd say just play a lot and ask advices to better players, that's how it comes.

Also, when I lose a game, I always try to find the mistake I made in my strat/timing, and I try not to make it again, it really helps and that's what you should do instead of blaming the lag or your micro, which are both irrelevant most of the time.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer

Post by NekoBerk »

The_red_c0w wrote:Yeah, I'd say just play a lot and ask advices to better players, that's how it comes.

Also, when I lose a game, I always try to find the mistake I made in my strat/timing, and I try not to make it again, it really helps and that's what you should do instead of blaming the lag or your micro, which are both irrelevant most of the time.

exactly, that's what i do, i mostly prefer play against people better than me, so i can try to see which decision was a mistake and what's better in thoses cases, by the way, i think that micro is really important xD, at least positioning, because sometimes i have more army than my opponent and kills all my army with good micro :(

"And we hate po-po
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Keep watching content and playing. Make sure to be humble in the way you think about the game. You don't have all the answers and something's may be counter intuitive. You have to start thinking differently from your peer group to elevate your decision making.

All the skills are linked too. The better your macro and micro the more windows you open. You can make a strategic decision to boom more or cut a corner more confidently if your control and macro are good.

One big thought is consider the game to be more or less over when you can't hunt or mine. Think the same for him. The goal of the game isn't actually to destroy his stuff. It's to build a big enough lead that you get to control the last resources on the map. There are some nuances there where you have to attack. (For example, he's ffing and if you don't get in his base for some delay or damage he will get the map soon). All in all it's complicated, but try that goal as a starting point.
No Flag Greatrouga
Crossbow

Post by Greatrouga »

I agree with Ryan but micro is overrated overall.
Positioning is important but if you have it, you can get to pr40 with only a move.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Greatrouga wrote:I agree with Ryan but micro is overrated overall.
Positioning is important but if you have it, you can get to pr40 with only a move.

Micro is underrated overall, im pretty sure more then 50%of my losses are just worse micro and control with more units then the oponent.

When you are top tier maybe control isnt a big issue and games are won on other fronts, but for us the 99%, we still decide a lot of games due to micro.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

hard to micro on lag anyways
No Flag Warnrouga
Crossbow

Post by Warnrouga »

lemmings121 wrote:

Micro is underrated overall, im pretty sure more then 50%of my losses are just worse micro and control with more units then the oponent.

When you are top tier maybe control isnt a big issue and games are won on other fronts, but for us the 99%, we still decide a lot of games due to micro.

Nah, it's the contrary, it only matters at high level.
If you understand that you will improve really fast believe me.

That's how I managed to improve very quickly: instead of blaming my loss on my micro, I'd analyse my strategy mistakes.
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

_H2O wrote:Keep watching content and playing. Make sure to be humble in the way you think about the game. You don't have all the answers and something's may be counter intuitive. You have to start thinking differently from your peer group to elevate your decision making.

All the skills are linked too. The better your macro and micro the more windows you open. You can make a strategic decision to boom more or cut a corner more confidently if your control and macro are good.

One big thought is consider the game to be more or less over when you can't hunt or mine. Think the same for him. The goal of the game isn't actually to destroy his stuff. It's to build a big enough lead that you get to control the last resources on the map. There are some nuances there where you have to attack. (For example, he's ffing and if you don't get in his base for some delay or damage he will get the map soon). All in all it's complicated, but try that goal as a starting point.

amazing explanation. thanks
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

lemmings121 wrote:

nah depends on the mu, you can only attack move musk to such a high level, aka brit mirror, aka russia mirror. but semi ff wars, micro plays a big part ye i guess. but even then its just skrim war.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lemmings121 wrote:

diarouga is right on this, micro matters only at the highest level. If macro and strategy decisions are more or less equal, or if its a mirror, micro is going to determine who wins a battle. Otherwise youre just going to get outmassed, and you can have god like micro, but if you have 25% less stuff, youre very unlikely to win the fight. you can have the best unit control, but if youre stacking 2k coin and no food, while the other guy is making the right counter units and macroing to get full batches and keep up eco, hes just going to win even if hes taking bad trades.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I see @deleted_user , but even at pr30 level we arent great but we arent stacking 2k coin. I definitely agree that micro comes after macro and strats, but im quite sure that im often losing games with a bigger mass and good comp, because i get bad engages in bad places. Its not top priority, but its something you have to improve eventually...
No Flag Zhanson10
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Zhanson10 »

tedere12 wrote:hard to micro on lag anyways

ur too busy losing vils
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Zhanson10 wrote:
tedere12 wrote:hard to micro on lag anyways

ur too busy losing vils

Please do not be mean to other members of the forum. Keep that to discord thank you.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Dia is right.
You cant win a fight if your opponent spent 2k more res into his army. You can be god of micro you still lose. So micro matters only until you have the same invesments in both army. But res graph can be wrong still according to army cost effectivity differences.
Its kinda that micro is a part of your macro right? You command your resources basicly. You cant command better if you have no units to command..:D
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lemmings121 wrote:I see @deleted_user , but even at pr30 level we arent great but we arent stacking 2k coin. I definitely agree that micro comes after macro and strats, but im quite sure that im often losing games with a bigger mass and good comp, because i get bad engages in bad places. Its not top priority, but its something you have to improve eventually...

not necessarily, somppu and mongo got pr38+ with dragboxing their units every game. sure it's something that you may improve on eventually, but even when taking big engagements, it's much more important that you have the right composition and the right position, rather than that you micro the individual units back and forth. In fact, in many fights I see people trying too hard to micro and it actually costs them the fight because its often just counter productive.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:I see @deleted_user , but even at pr30 level we arent great but we arent stacking 2k coin. I definitely agree that micro comes after macro and strats, but im quite sure that im often losing games with a bigger mass and good comp, because i get bad engages in bad places. Its not top priority, but its something you have to improve eventually...

not necessarily, somppu and mongo got pr38+ with dragboxing their units every game. sure it's something that you may improve on eventually, but even when taking big engagements, it's much more important that you have the right composition and the right position, rather than that you micro the individual units back and forth. In fact, in many fights I see people trying too hard to micro and it actually costs them the fight because its often just counter productive.

Its more about when you fight than the micro itself. Theres some compositions where micro is rather important but also some where it doesnt matter.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

umeu wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:In fact, in many fights I see people trying too hard to micro and it actually costs them the fight because its often just counter productive.

I guess over-micro is just a symptom of people trying to practice their micro but I do agree it happens way too often where you'll see something like 15 hussars pathing around an entire battle for 20 seconds to be able to focus 10 skirms.

Some of it could also be not understanding that its not always best that units target their counter units? So players go at great lengths to run around each battle losing entire armies in the process, and then even when it is a situation where it is best for units to target their counter units there are times where you still shouldn't redirect your melee units just because of the position/angles your armies engaged at.

Another point is that I don't know if some players are confusing multitasking with micro. For instance I saw a tournament game last week, russ vs fre, where the russia sent in his 5 coss but was not paying attention and lost 4 or so to a batch of hussars without damaging anything because they were on move command. That straight up lost the game right there at 5:30. Because it was arguably a battle idk if some 2nd leuit says ahhh my micro was so bad when it was a multitasking issue not a micro issue.

I really wouldn't worry too much about micro at the lower level and just rely on attack-move command. You can really nail down your macro and build orders.

I think I said this earlier but when I used to play the time to micro scenario a few years back I'd lose the hussar fights and other 2 control groups fights to low PR all the time but then in an actual game it goes the complete other way despite me doing the exact same thing. :lol: 3 control groups and up and easier to win though since I guess that's just a mechanical issue.