New Player! Need help :P

No Flag NeverLuckyRyan
Crossbow
ESO: NeverLuckyRyan

New Player! Need help :P

Post by NeverLuckyRyan »

Hi guys, so I joined yesterday and lost all three of my first multiplayer games. I tend to like a lot of treaty and team games the most though, bear that in mind.

Are there by any means simple" or "easy" strategies that aren't too complicated for beginners like me? All I want is to play the game and get better at it and I won't level up if I can pick out a good strategy.

I don't mind which civ it is, as long as it's somewhat easy and not too complicated.

I'm really enjoying the game ATM and hopefully you can help me so that I stick around for a fairly long time :P Also, if any of you want to play with me and give me some tips add my ESO- NeverLuckyRyan

Thanks,

Ryan :)
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: New Player! Need help :P

Post by kami_ryu »

Not a strategy, but this is what you would focus on as a new player:

1. Set up the UI so that you have production queue and villager on resource count,
2. Keep constant villager production,
3. Make sure that you're spending all of your resources as soon as you can, preferably starting with market upgrades,

If you can stick to that right off the bat, you'll do better, regardless of what civ you pick up. Especially in team games (not sure about treaty) where economy matters a lot more than in 1v1. You want villagers and economic upgrades asap. Using a boom civ like Brits or Japan can be beneficial as well.

Edit: there's a guide veni wrote up for new players but I cn't find it and I need to go. Good luck!
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

watch interjections aoe3 tutorials on youtube.
No Flag NeverLuckyRyan
Crossbow

Post by NeverLuckyRyan »

kami_ryu wrote:Not a strategy, but this is what you would focus on as a new player:

1. Set up the UI so that you have production queue and villager on resource count,
2. Keep constant villager production,
3. Make sure that you're spending all of your resources as soon as you can, preferably starting with market upgrades,

If you can stick to that right off the bat, you'll do better, regardless of what civ you pick up. Especially in team games (not sure about treaty) where economy matters a lot more than in 1v1. You want villagers and economic upgrades asap. Using a boom civ like Brits or Japan can be beneficial as well.

Edit: there's a guide veni wrote up for new players but I cn't find it and I need to go. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the help, really helps me :)
No Flag NeverLuckyRyan
Crossbow

Post by NeverLuckyRyan »

Bump
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

:-P
No Flag Zhanson10
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Zhanson10 »

fp50?
Japan EmoCelestia
Musketeer

Post by EmoCelestia »

Go to the strategy wall for some build orders, if you ever watch pro grames/ high pr streamers, try to question everything they do and realize why they did the move they did? ( Sometimes it could be a mistake )
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

This post is regarding non-treaty supremacy.

Play France. They are the most basic civilization; no weird shit like not being able to train single units of infantry, lacking musketeers, or spawning a settler each time a house is built, and their uniqueness is only in the form of cuirassiers, stronger settlers, and a starting native scout. When learning the basics, as you are, it is good to stay away from distractions.

You should not bother learning build orders, scouting patterns, or creeping (efficiently killing treasure guardians). The best way by far is to get someone to coach you, but I will list some of the essential things here.

Learn the unit types and their counters:

Warning: There is a slight confusion regarding this between the expansions and vanilla due to the different meanings of "light infantry" (which means weird-as-fuck in TAD). This post is regarding The Asian Dynasties expansion.

Heavy cavalry (aka hand cavalry): no ranged attack, quick, generally have high health, generally have high base damage with no multipliers, weak to ranged cavalry when far away, weak to heavy infantry when close (in melee range) - examples: hussars, kanya horsemen, axe riders

Ranged cavalry (aka light cavalry): ranged attack, even quicker than heavy cavalry, lower health than heavy cavalry, generally have mediocre base ranged damage that is especially effective against heavy cavalry and sometimes light infantry, have low melee damage which should rarely be used, weak to ranged infantry, weak to everything in melee range - examples: dragoons, cavalry archers, zamburaks

Heavy infantry: strong against cavalry in melee range, sometimes have a high ranged attack, weak to ranged infantry when far away - examples: musketeers, pikemen, halberdiers

Ranged infantry: long ranged attack, slow, mediocre base ranged attack which is especially effective against heavy infantry and ranged cavalry, weak melee attack which should rarely be used, weak to anything in melee (usually heavy cavalry and light infantry due to the inability to run away) - examples: skirmishers, forest prowlers, longbowmen

Light infantry: strong against ranged infantry and sometimes other things, weird unit - examples: coyote runners, rattan shields, tiger claws

Never cease settler production:

From the moment the game begins, until the game is over or you have reached the settler limit, you should train settlers unless you do not have a choice. Sometimes, due to heavy aggression from you opponent, you simpy cannot keep training settlers. But not doing it because you forgot or you do not have enough population space is bad, and should not happen.

Know the purpose behind everything you do:

Tasking your settler to chopping wood because "Why not?", is a mistake. There is always something useful for your settler to do, and if you do not know why your settler is chopping wood, chances are that there is a much better thing your settler could do but is not doing.

Example: In the discovery age, you goal is to train settlers (as it always is), and to get to the colonial age. Both of these things cost nothing but food, so your settlers should be gathering nothing but food. You will always get at least 100 wood from the starting crates to build a house to be able to train settlers; chopping wood is not necessary. (Do not bother with complicated builds like early market and early trading post.)

Learn the important tools, tricks, and mechanics; do not get distracted by the less important ones:

Important tools, tricks, mechanics: herding, kiting, shift-clicking, control groups, hotkeys, attack move

Less important ones: creeping, switching between ranged and melee mode, killing animals so they do not stroll away, teleporting settlers through the Town Center, and any micro other than positioning, kiting, and attack move
Pay more attention to detail.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

@Gendarme urumis arent light inf.

pikes counter light inf, one urumi might kill 50 pikes.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Oh, I suppose they have no tag at all other than infantry, then. My bad.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Gendarme wrote:Oh, I suppose they have no tag at all other than infantry, then. My bad.

I'm not sure either, will check latter... I just know that in practice they are a skirmisher with 1 range and area dmg...
No Flag NeverLuckyRyan
Crossbow

Post by NeverLuckyRyan »

So what's the best late game civ as I tend to play treaty and team based games?
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

NeverLuckyRyan wrote:So what's the best late game civ as I tend to play treaty and team based games?

French
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

French is a good starting point.

They end up getting banned in pr 25ish treaty?

Team games they are great late game and also a balanced pick.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

yea france on treaty RE patch is not allowed because they are too good
No Flag Zhanson10
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Zhanson10 »

All you need to know is that India is disgustingly overpowered. Avoid it like the plague
No Flag NeverLuckyRyan
Crossbow

Post by NeverLuckyRyan »

Zhanson10 wrote:All you need to know is that India is disgustingly overpowered. Avoid it like the plague

What makes them OP?
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

NeverLuckyRyan wrote:
Zhanson10 wrote:All you need to know is that India is disgustingly overpowered. Avoid it like the plague

What makes them OP?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10360
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

All you need to know is that it's not advisable to trust any player ;)

Useful links:
AOE 3 Introduction Guide — for new players
Conscript to Lieutenant — A Beginner's Guide to Basics
Strategy Wall
Interjection's Tips and Tricks [YouTube]
VeniVidiVici W's Commentary and Tutorials [YouTube]
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

:lol: :lol: :salt: :salt: :salt:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

born2believe wrote:

im srsly concerned bout this zahnson guy. he seems to be traumatized for life. also he confuses india and otto.
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:
born2believe wrote:

im srsly concerned bout this zahnson guy. he seems to be traumatized for life. also he confuses india and otto.

I remember reading like a year old tread where he claimed that ports are better then otto. On RE ofcourse.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

They are better at getting rekt.
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »