Hunt decay rate?

United States of America godzillaking
Skirmisher
Donator 03

Hunt decay rate?

Post by godzillaking »

Hey,

What is the actual decay rate for hunts?

I seem to struggle with stubborn herds leaving my base. I'm debating just killing them all around my tc so I don't get raided into the ground by good players. Especially around in the 8-10 min windows. I just wanna know how much food I would lose.

What do other people do?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: Hunt decay rate?

Post by Mitoe »

0.76 f/s

Unless you are really low on hunt, killing more than you "need" to is usually not that bad. Sometimes it's actually good. You will miss out on some food due to decay, but if it reduces idle time & walking time then you'll be generating more resources more quickly at the expense of depleting your total number of available natural resources more quickly. Besides, sometimes if you aren't paying enough attention the last couple of animals in a hunt may walk away in such a way that it's almost not worth walking to gather them, and you kind of lose out on 400-800 resources instead of the minimal amount you would lose if you killed them earlier.

In any case, all this means is you shouldn't be afraid to kill them if you feel it will benefit you. The only time you should consider putting excessive effort into preserving this hunts is if you have very few hunts to work with in the first place.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

What a guy!^
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Mitoe wrote:0.76 f/s

Unless you are really low on hunt, killing more than you "need" to is usually not that bad. Sometimes it's actually good. You will miss out on some food due to decay, but if it reduces idle time & walking time then you'll be generating more resources more quickly at the expense of depleting your total number of available natural resources more quickly. Besides, sometimes if you aren't paying enough attention the last couple of animals in a hunt may walk away in such a way that it's almost not worth walking to gather them, and you kind of lose out on 400-800 resources instead of the minimal amount you would lose if you killed them earlier.

In any case, all this means is you shouldn't be afraid to kill them if you feel it will benefit you. The only time you should consider putting excessive effort into preserving this hunts is if you have very few hunts to work with in the first place.

I try to make a point of murdering all animals asap under TC now.
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

kami_ryu wrote:

dont take it that extreme lol. its more of a last resort thing imo, wasted food is still bad and can bite you in the ass later on in the game.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well its usually just like if you have a buffalo right on your tc its good to shoot it so your vils getting born from the tc pop right onto hunts and dont have to walk
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

and whats the rate for herdables? I believe its higher, isnt it?

I always find absurd when people delete 7fat yaks and task 5 vills to them.... i feel like you should delete one by one if you have apm avaiable, else, just shift click the vills and let them kill
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Pretty sure the decay rate is the same for herdables, but I could be wrong.

Anyway Uhlan is right. Ideally you shouldn't kill animals excessively, but in certain situations it's fine.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I though decay was slower if you gathered from it instead of letting it rot alone.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

not it remains the same, if you gather from it or not.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

__Uhlan__ wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:

dont take it that extreme lol. its more of a last resort thing imo, wasted food is still bad and can bite you in the ass later on in the game.

sorry, i meant like, before clicking to colonial

in colonial i just try to keep animals under TC
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

do trees decay like they used to in aoe2?
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

no
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

lemmings121 wrote:I always find absurd when people delete 7fat yaks and task 5 vills to them.... i feel like you should delete one by one if you have apm avaiable, else, just shift click the vills and let them kill

I hate it as well, though killing all at once is obviously faster and people don't really care about the decay anyways :sad: Though if you just shift-click your vills onto yaks, killing all at once may be a bit better VS-wise since vills have to spend some time hitting the animals to be able to gather from them :idea:

noissance wrote:do trees decay like they used to in aoe2?

Did they? :huh:

umeu wrote:not it remains the same, if you gather from it or not.

What? So you actually never get full meat from animals? It sounds very untrue :!:
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

pecelot wrote:What? So you actually never get full meat from animals? It sounds very untrue :!:

Well if you did you would just kill all animals next to your tc and put 1 vill on each
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

But from that post I understood that you can't stop the rotting even if you gather from a dead animal :huh:

About the OP: I usually use quite a number of my APM to task vills on dead hunts so that they don't rot, perhaps sometimes I waste the VS, but I hate seeing Swe Swe herding :?
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

pecelot wrote:But from that post I understood that you can't stop the rotting even if you gather from a dead animal :huh:

About the OP: I usually use quite a number of my APM to task vills on dead hunts so that they don't rot, perhaps sometimes I waste the VS, but I hate seeing Swe Swe herding :?
but they do rot even if you gather from them xd

Splitting vills is still good though since it's more efficient when the hunt runs out
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

pecelot wrote:But from that post I understood that you can't stop the rotting even if you gather from a dead animal :huh:

well that is the case, hunt still decay at the same rate, if you are gathering it or not. the idea is that if you kill one animal at the time and have 8vills on top of it, it will just have much less "dead time" to be there decaying.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Ok, I was surprised as I thought it wasn't the case. It really saddens me! :sad:
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

lemmings121 wrote:and whats the rate for herdables? I believe its higher, isnt it?

I always find absurd when people delete 7fat yaks and task 5 vills to them.... i feel like you should delete one by one if you have apm avaiable, else, just shift click the vills and let them kill

That wastes VS. I think the logic is that since herdables gather so fast, the food lost to decay is minimal.

Does anyone have the gather rate for herdables so we can do the math?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/for ... 32509,0,10
I don't think there's a decaying guide anywhere :?
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

Papist wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:and whats the rate for herdables? I believe its higher, isnt it?

That wastes VS. I think the logic is that since herdables gather so fast, the food lost to decay is minimal.

Does anyone have the gather rate for herdables so we can do the math?

Its fast, but not that fast. hunts are 0,84(+ hunting dogs + traps)/s, herdables are 2/s

Deleting 7 yaks isnt as bad as shoting 10 bison with 5 vills, but you still lose a lot of food, and save like.. a couple VS per animal, (the time it would take the vills to punch it to death). I have the feeling that at this point in game, its better to avoid a couple hundred decay, even if it costs a small amount of VS.
(plus, usually animals arent 100%, so while you gather the firsts the others are still fattening :smile: )
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

According to my calculations, 5 vils would gather up 7 deleted yaks (2800 food) in approximately 260 seconds, or 3.3 minutes. They would gather approximately 2602 food, a 198 food loss (7.6%). Note: for obvious reasons I can't include walking time or bumping so I am assuming vils are distributed efficiently.

When you consider the APM it saves you, this seems like a decent trade. Obviously, it would get worse as the number of yacks (due to less available total food) or vils decreased, and get better as the number of vils increased relative to the number of yacks (though it would eventually get worse due to diminishing returns, or oversaturation)
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

Papist wrote:According to my calculations, 5 vils would gather up 7 deleted yaks (2800 food) in approximately 260 seconds, or 3.3 minutes. They would gather approximately 2602 food, a 198 food loss (7.6%). Note: for obvious reasons I can't include walking time or bumping so I am assuming vils are distributed efficiently.

When you consider the APM it saves you, this seems like a decent trade. Obviously, it would get worse as the number of yacks (due to less available total food) or vils decreased, and get better as the number of vils increased relative to the number of yacks (though it would eventually get worse due to diminishing returns, or oversaturation)

It seems bad. It's probablly better to shift click and let the vills kill the yaks.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

u should lure enemy units close to the yaks and then shoot em with the falconets to kill the yaks, that is the most effective way