German Merc Spam & Healers

No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

German Merc Spam & Healers

Post by abbadan »

I recently saw an awesome German mirror between Aizamk & KaiserKlein, where Kaiser was using a Merc-spam strat. Eventually he won, but that's irrelevant to my question, which is:
Why wouldn't healers - medics & tents or just priests - be useful in this strat? Particularly since many of the Mercs are shipments that can't be trained at the saloon: wouldn't it be worthwhile to pull them out of a battle before they die and heal them for the next fight?
I don't have the micro-ing skill to do this well, but these guys are at a higher level and could probably do it deftly. I'm just wondering why healers never seem to be used {although there's a game I remember watching where Aiz = of course = used priests as blockers in a Russian game}... :P
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Re: German Merc Spam & Healers

Post by Darwin_ »

The main problem with healers is that they are awkward to train and even more awkward to use, as you almost never build a church and your army is almost never idle long enough to heal units an appreciable amount.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

yeah I've wondered that 2. Seen a nice rec from _H2O against mongo10 where he heals his elephants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FY6OnkXW7s

In general it also slows down a push (funny enough I just tried it with a treasure medic, in stead of pushing back after defeating an attack I healed units, ended up losing in the 2nd attack though :huh: )

Edit:
General question: what to do against mercs?

I mean the spie card nobody has (right?), japan can isolate and train ninja's, but others...?
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Raid gold mines. Make regular units. Scout.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

About healers: if you look at that game, we were both most of the time running everywhere with our units. It just sucks to idle your stuff too much. Maybe if you make a ton of cannons you could consider doing that but thats it.

About how to counter mercs, you usually just pressure early on (can be in age 2 or 3), because mercs train slowly and are hard to mass. Also before you saw what merc is in the saloon, dont go heavy on hand cav because most mercs are anti cav. Skirm goon kind of stuff should do it. When you know the mercs, then mass the counter unit. Also be ready to face a mercs shipment, so check the guy's deck.
Pressure the gold mines first. Some mercs are not mobile and you can abuse that by raiding a lot.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Post by abbadan »

Maybe there should be a tweak for the next iteration of the game allowing healers to heal while moving...?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I think this wouldn't be an easy change to make, from a technical point.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Post by abbadan »

Darwin_ wrote:The main problem with healers is that they are awkward to train and even more awkward to use, as you almost never build a church and your army is almost never idle long enough to heal units an appreciable amount.

Idk about Germans, but Russia (are you the same player as the ancient Darwin Giovanni, Master of All Russia?) and some other civs do make churches for their advanced benefits. If you can get enough benefit out of it - like keeping rare and valuable mercs alive - why wouldn't you do it?