How well do real life strategies work in Age of Empires III?

No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

How well do real life strategies work in Age of Empires III?

Post by Kommander »

Hello, eso-community!

I was curious about how real life strategies would work in AOEIII, if at all.

Here are examples I would like to discuss primarily. Add your own if you want to.

Blitzkrieg - The act of passing through enemy lines with short, fast, and powerful attacks to dislocate and unbalance the defenders.
Empty Fort Strategy - Deceiving your enemy through reverse psychology that you have an ambush waiting for them as your base appears empty.
Unnamed / Not Known - Surround and attack your enemy by all or multiple sides.
"Secretive Forward Base" - Putting a forward base near and around your enemy's base in a secretive manner to surprise them from behind or from the side.

I did #4 once when I was a very big noob. Won a game for my team even though I was the underdog for the vast majority of the game :uglylol:
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Re: How well do real life strategies work in Age of Empires III?

Post by lemmings121 »

Blitzkrieg - One analogy in game that i can think are ashi raids, fast and strong enough to cause a mess if the oponent dont respond well... but in aoe its used mainlly as a distraction instead of a "main push"

Empty Fort Strategy - Also known as "the Black_XII": "oh wait, you want to atack me? I actually have spread my vills everywhere and have my army positioned to base trade"

Unnamed / Not Known - "The zerg atack move". It usefull when you want to force a engage with units that could be kitted otherwise. ie, flanking with urumis/mahouts

"Secretive Forward Base" - proxy rushes, fairly standard
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

1) Bad because of snaring
2) Bad because your opponent won't go for your base but for your villagers
3) Bad because of formations
4) Pretty good if your opponent is advancing to the fortress age
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Have you ever encountered deceitful decks? In order to trick your openent lets say you put schooners to your deck and even you build a dock in order to lure your openent to play water. Is this kind of play happen in high level?
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

HUMMAN wrote:Have you ever encountered deceitful decks? In order to trick your openent lets say you put schooners to your deck and even you build a dock in order to lure your openent to play water. Is this kind of play happen in high level?

That's freakin' genius if you're going for a quick rush. 21 :uglylol: 21

Edit: Build a dock?! :hmm: Misread.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

HUMMAN wrote:Have you ever encountered deceitful decks? In order to trick your openent lets say you put schooners to your deck and even you build a dock in order to lure your openent to play water. Is this kind of play happen in high level?

Deccan is a good map for this.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Kommander wrote:

That's freakin' genius if you're going for a quick rush. 21 :uglylol: 21

I don't think it would be too good for a "quick rush", the 200 wood could easily be a production facility or 2 houses. You would need houses for a rush if you are sending military shipments as your pop fills up rather fast that way
De Funk
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

high level players usually automatically scout in the end you waste a card space. But the Idea is good.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

Googol wrote:

high level players usually automatically scout in the end you waste a card space. But the Idea is good.

quit jerkin his chicken. some FI decks are disguised
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

#3 is bad for ranged units, but very good for melee units.

TheMista approves.
Pay more attention to detail.
South Africa xhuggels
Crossbow

Post by xhuggels »

What about the other way around?
Villager walking time, which i learned in AOE3 i use in everyday work to be...well either lazy or to get stuff done faster.
By seeing different aspects of work as villagers, soldiers or upgrades, i become a giant nerd, but i also do stuff in the order you would normally follow in game, and that works out wonders, along with making work just a tad bit more fun.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

This is why I think FFA is supreme. Tactics like these, do work. I suggest reading up on the classics of strategy.
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:This is why I think FFA is supreme. Tactics like these, do work. I suggest reading up on the classics of strategy.

Anything and everything will happen in FFAs. The more players the more events and stories.
But can you go 5 minutes without praising FFA? I love it too, but these past 7 years you've been in-love :lol:

Reading up on the classics of strategy is a unique touch :hmm: I could look into that but I won't.:uglylol:
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

no sir, I cant ever not talk about FFA when it is pertinent. and maybe even if others feel it is not. It is a vastly under rated way to play the game.

This is why FFA on large map is awesome, because it is the most dynamic as far as what type of things players do. I mean like how many FFA's have we played? When I win its a combo of good build order, adaptable experience, and gauging player threat and temperament to decide how when and where to attack.

Its mostly common sense type stuff like, attack only when you think you can win, etc....
South Africa xhuggels
Crossbow

Post by xhuggels »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:no sir, I cant ever not talk about FFA when it is pertinent. and maybe even if others feel it is not. It is a vastly under rated way to play the game.

This is why FFA on large map is awesome, because it is the most dynamic as far as what type of things players do. I mean like how many FFA's have we played? When I win its a combo of good build order, adaptable experience, and gauging player threat and temperament to decide how when and where to attack.

Its mostly common sense type stuff like, attack only when you think you can win, etc....

One thing i do really miss about AoE2, was diplomacy, and it is the one reason i dont much bother with FFA in AoE3. Its just not the same without diplo since working with someone in FFA is frowned upon, at least in the FFA's ive played. It shouldnt be, but it is.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6032
Spent like the last 30 mins looking for it, fml
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

I lost to some random captain in QS when he took a full water deck with brits on patagonia. Then i went super greedy for a TP boom and he rushed me with musk/huss. Rip
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Irl
Agincourt/crecy tactics: mass bowmen to destroy heavy cavalry.

Iaoe3
Japan: mass yumi
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Kommander wrote:Edit: Build a dock?! :hmm: Misread.

Spending resources in dock for this strat is ok i think, it is worth 2 big treasure or about a huss loss which are not fatal in most games. If the enemy sends 2 caravels it immediately pays off, its a high risk high reward investment. If you are aiming for a timing push, you wont send much card and you can even waste like 5 water cards, maybee.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

umeu wrote:Irl
Agincourt/crecy tactics: mass bowmen to destroy heavy cavalry.

Iaoe3
Japan: mass yumi

Ye but
Irl
Patay tactics: heavy cavalry to destroy mass bowmen, French losses: 3, English losses: 2000

In AoE3
@Gendarme
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

But irl most battles were won by trickery and deceit. Or by hacking the enemy's intelligence service.

Iaoe3

@moesbar
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

HUMMAN wrote:
Kommander wrote:Edit: Build a dock?! :hmm: Misread.

Spending resources in dock for this strat is ok i think, it is worth 2 big treasure or about a huss loss which are not fatal in most games. If the enemy sends 2 caravels it immediately pays off, its a high risk high reward investment. If you are aiming for a timing push, you wont send much card and you can even waste like 5 water cards, maybee.

Tbh, that can actually work supose you are something like oto vs germ in indonesia, have a water deck, make a dock in transition, germ over react to deny water boom with dock caravel + 2caravel, you actually sent 3 vills instead of schooner, atack move jani rush.

Problem is it rely on the oponent scouting just enoght to be decieved, but not enough to see the rush :p

I think the ideal middle ground is just having the deck, like china or oto with 5cards in colonial.. And rushing all in with that.
Cape Verde Miqueias
Crossbow

Post by Miqueias »

i made 4 once was funny because russia was rush me with f blochouse but i made 2 rax with 2 curaseur de boil ( 12 villager age up ) close to him and spamm pikes, wasnt eable to spam musks or strelets just 5 cossac shipment LOL nooob match up.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

xhuggels wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:no sir, I cant ever not talk about FFA when it is pertinent. and maybe even if others feel it is not. It is a vastly under rated way to play the game.

One thing i do really miss about AoE2, was diplomacy, and it is the one reason i dont much bother with FFA in AoE3. Its just not the same without diplo since working with someone in FFA is frowned upon, at least in the FFA's ive played. It shouldnt be, but it is.

there is plenty of peace pacts that form, but yeah I think it is bad when people go 2v1. its not very sportsman and might as well play team games then, expand to 2v2v2v2 etc...

even when nasty 2v1 things happen it at least helps the 1 person to not have to fight both armies together. so that helps level things out a bit when that does happen.