French vs Ottomans

No Flag Diabetusus
Crossbow

French vs Ottomans

Post by Diabetusus »

Hello all!

I am fairly new at this game, only about 6 days old, but I heard a lot about the French from a friend of mine (who's played it for about a week now.) I took some time to learn about herding, building, military and all those basic stuff most of you probably know. I also got interested in the samwise12 rush, but I am a bit tad slow and I really have no idea how to be a micro god. If there's any rush guide for French that's REALLY good, please do tell me.

The reason for this is that my friend is an Ottoman and I have no idea how to defend against his 15 abus guns and 15 janns rush. By the time my friend comes along, I have about 5 hussars and only 10 musketeer, two groups that died brutally. If it must be noted, I am no good at micro, so I basically had all of my hussars and musketeers fight straight on my friend's rush squad.

If in any way someone could give me a consistent guide of a French rush, please do tell me. But more importantly, how do I counter the Ottoman with the French?
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Re: French vs Ottomans

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

Ah, Otto. The bane of a new player's existence.

The Samwise build is probably the way to rush as France without a trading post. I don't know of a guide for the bow/pike but that's good as well. However you're looking at it from the wrong angle. You need to turtle against Otto.

What I would suggest (and I'm no expert but I've played plenty of French games) is a straight FF. I don't know how quick your friend is with this rush but if you practice you should be able to get up to age 3 in time. Then you got the 2 falc shipment + skirms and cuirs to deal with his rush.

Build: 3 Cdb -> 700c -> 700w. Age with The Governor for the outpost and coin. It'll be close, but ideally he pushes and you have an outpost, 2 falcs, minutemen, cdbs, and 10-15 skirms.

If he's pushing before 8 minutes then disregard that and maybe try to learn the cav semi. Keep him busy with raids and buy the time needed to prepare for the push.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Heelo. I'm Wilford Brimley, i'd like to treat you about Ottobeetus.

What you wanna do son is make Xbow Huss.
3V 8Xb 4V 700w 700c 3Cav or some shit I don't care.

Age with 13V and the 400w. Do a cav start and ship Xbow. Remember to get Market ups for your vills then if it gets too tough just use your Cdb. French probably one of the better civs vs Otto. Keep making xbow and defending till he gives up like a little bitch. Then age and take a giant crap on his otto when you ship that dank AF card that turns those xbow into skirms. Then push with 2 falc and up ur huss.

Actually, I'm surrounded by Ottobeetus. Always laughing at people with Ottobeetus every 15 - 20 minutes. I ugh, I ugh, ugh. You know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092NbybLsOI
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

Hey Diabetusus,

The above posts have already helped you with how to beat otto. I feel with you. How I have been frustrated by that civ.

Another frustration was my total lack of micro. Like you it seems. There is however a solution!
The below scenarios is called "Time to micro" and it specifically targets learning micro.
Put it in your scenario's folder (mydocuments/aoe3/scenarios) and host a game as scenario. People will join, if not just add me. I'll be happy to do it with you.
You'll learn the basics, like I did, skirms on ranged cav, kill opponents pikes first, etc etc.

Hope you enjoy it and the forum.
Attachments
Time to Micro new version.age3Yscn
(43.22 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Time to Micro new version.age3scn
(25.63 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

you wanna delay the fight as long as possible and use tc fire on abus and essentially camp in base for the first 8mins of the game, build should be roughly 3v, 4v 8 bow 700w etc... but you may be able to squeeze in 700w in before 8 bow but thats risky vs jan abus, try to raid him alot as he has no anti raid and otto idled is a big deal
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Aside note, ALWAYS upgrade coureur des bois hitpoints ( tech at the market) in this match up
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

4v 700c straight ff into goon spam. Best strat all round vs ottos.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

umeu wrote:4v 700c straight ff into goon spam. Best strat all round vs ottos.

How do you not just die to jan spam?
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

deleted_user wrote:

If I had a dollar for every time Umeu loses I'd have no money.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Turkey LONEWOLF123
Dragoon
ESO: LONE_WOLF123

Post by LONEWOLF123 »

Diabetusus wrote:Hello all!

I am fairly new at this game, only about 6 days old, but I heard a lot about the French from a friend of mine (who's played it for about a week now.) I took some time to learn about herding, building, military and all those basic stuff most of you probably know. I also got interested in the samwise12 rush, but I am a bit tad slow and I really have no idea how to be a micro god. If there's any rush guide for French that's REALLY good, please do tell me.

The reason for this is that my friend is an Ottoman and I have no idea how to defend against his 15 abus guns and 15 janns rush. By the time my friend comes along, I have about 5 hussars and only 10 musketeer, two groups that died brutally. If it must be noted, I am no good at micro, so I basically had all of my hussars and musketeers fight straight on my friend's rush squad.

If in any way someone could give me a consistent guide of a French rush, please do tell me. But more importantly, how do I counter the Ottoman with the French?

Ottoman is risky u win at the begining or you lose , that simple , your micro needs to be very good to. (talking about lvl20+games)
agianst french i prefer porto or india or japan
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

deleted_user wrote:

Double rax or 5 jan 3 huss all in rushes would probably beat it. But those strats are so all in that they arent often played in that mu on that level. You do have the res to drop a tower if you want to though, which would probs be enough delay. If you target the huss, then 8 skir should hold np
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Isnt 4cdb 700w better for straight FF?

Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Well, it is slightly slower, and that little difference may be the difference between survival and death. You don't really need to be greedy against a jan rush probably - just survive.
Pay more attention to detail.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Gendarme wrote:Well, it is slightly slower, and that little difference may be the difference between survival and death. You don't really need to be greedy against a jan rush probably - just survive.

The thing is that when 700c arrive you already have way more than the 300c needed, i dont know if its actually worth shipping the coin and chopping wood instead of sending 700w. Maybe with 700c you could get earlier gangsaw and make it worth it? I dont really see any advantage except for cutting something like 10secs from the build (which isnt negligible, specially in this Mu, but still is that all?)

Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Well, you don't need all of the 700w right away either. You are going to spam goons and aren't really in a need of a barracks, so you'd essentially be floating the wood (or building a useless barracks and too many houses which is more or less the same as floating). You probably can't afford to make units from two buildings because you're going to have idle CDBs.
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

Gendarme wrote:Well, it is slightly slower, and that little difference may be the difference between survival and death. You don't really need to be greedy against a jan rush probably - just survive.

My twin, would this mean you'd recommend aging with Exiled Prince in this MU? I almost said to age with the Marksman in my comment about straight FFing but I wasn't sure.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

You shouldn't take my advice too seriously, as I'm shit at this game, but yes. You are waiting one extra minute just to get 6 skirmishers. In that time you can get out 1.5 batches of dragoons.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Best way to play the matchup if they FF from my experience is to do a 4v 700w ff (exactly like a semi, except gather the coin to age instead of shipping it), into double-stable goon production and ship skirms/cannons/cuirs.

If they jan/abus you, I would do a stable start (13 villager age up preferably), and use 8 xbows, mm, and villagers to defend until you can age, and then go into skirm/cuir if they stay age 2.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

macacoalbino wrote:

Too slow vs ottos
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

umeu wrote:
macacoalbino wrote:

Too slow vs ottos

I see, do you know how many seconds you cut from the ageup when shipping coin instead of wood?

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

macacoalbino wrote:

The thing is that when 700c arrive you already have way more than the 300c needed, i dont know if its actually worth shipping the coin and chopping wood instead of sending 700w. Maybe with 700c you could get earlier gangsaw and make it worth it? I dont really see any advantage except for cutting something like 10secs from the build (which isnt negligible, specially in this Mu, but still is that all?)

The difference is huge. You will not have the res to age before otto comes i to your base, which means the will just idle your vils, and you wont be able to age. With the 700c, you will have that res, and you can get res for mm + age in time. Which means you will probably hold. If they dont rush, you can start chopping wood. Trust me, 700w will just leave you stranded in age2 vs any half decent otto
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

macacoalbino wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Too slow vs ottos

I see, do you know how many seconds you cut from the ageup when shipping coin instead of wood?

Its probs like 15-20 sec. I agree that if you scout ff, then 700w is probably the better choice. But not vs any type of colo play, including semi
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

tank with cdbs
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

You need to get to industrial age to unlock these heavy cannons, they defeat the jannisary army easily
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

If he is 'rushing' with 15 abus you have plenty of time to do a nice FF of any kind and be satisfied that in learning the adaptions, tc micro, base construction skills and unit micro required for this MU you will rapidly out-evolve your friend!
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.