skirm / goon micro

United States of America IntrepidExplorer
Musketeer
ESO: DownToBuck

skirm / goon micro

Post by IntrepidExplorer »

Lately I've been struggling with civs like France and Dutch in battles, where I seem to just lose an inordinate number of skirms or all my goons seem to die faster than I kill my opponent's army, even if we start with a relatively similar military pop. So I was wondering, what actually is the correct way to micro a pure skirm / goon fight? I would assume things change when you throw hand cav into the mix, so assume there are none.
India Frost Bite
Dragoon
ESO: ContainsCaffeine
GameRanger ID: 3243371

Re: skirm / goon micro

Post by Frost Bite »

Considering skirms can attack goons, how about putting some of ur goons in melee mode and get them straight into enemy skirms, during a fight?
World War 3 is inevitable, Run for your lives, fools
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

From what I've seen of the Livestream of top players, it seems to be a hit/run for the attacker, and a more campy playstyle for the defender. I believe in the case where your armies are equal, you want to split the enemy's goons from their skirms, and chip them away one by one, without losing any. This assumes they don't get a reinforcing batch out. If you forget to reinforce or can't afford to, consider sacrificing a few units to run away, as a diversion for the enemy's attack move.
Error 404: Signature not found
Musketeer

Frost Bite wrote:Considering skirms can attack goons, how about putting some of ur goons in melee mode and get them straight into enemy skirms, during a fight?

I have tried this, but the enemy goons just kill your goons faster than you kill his skirms, and you're left with too many skirms and not enough goons, leaving you vulnerable.
Musketeer

noissance wrote:I believe in the case where your armies are equal, you want to split the enemy's goons from their skirms, and chip them away one by one, without losing any.

If you just have goons and skirms vs goons and skirms how are you supposed to "split" the goons away, and even then, wouldn't you lose more skirms to walking forward too much with them to make the trade cost-effective?
India Frost Bite
Dragoon
ESO: ContainsCaffeine
GameRanger ID: 3243371

Post by Frost Bite »

IntrepidExplorer wrote:
Frost Bite wrote:Considering skirms can attack goons, how about putting some of ur goons in melee mode and get them straight into enemy skirms, during a fight?

I have tried this, but the enemy goons just kill your goons faster than you kill his skirms, and you're left with too many skirms and not enough goons, leaving you vulnerable.

How is that vulnerable .. when the units are goons and skirms?
World War 3 is inevitable, Run for your lives, fools
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by noissance »

IntrepidExplorer wrote:
noissance wrote:I believe in the case where your armies are equal, you want to split the enemy's goons from their skirms, and chip them away one by one, without losing any.

If you just have goons and skirms vs goons and skirms how are you supposed to "split" the goons away, and even then, wouldn't you lose more skirms to walking forward too much with them to make the trade cost-effective?

You want to bait the enemy by constantly hitting and running. It seems the pros know the ranges of the units really well so they know when to a-move and when to micro units away. Most players a move, so you have to find the unit thats being targeted by the command ai, and manually drag it back. This will make the ai for the attack move follow that 1 unit, and if the enemy isnt paying attention, will end up an easy kill.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

I dont understand the question. You and also your opponent has only skirm goon? Since then you fight only with skirm and never get involved the goons.
Then the fight looks like you shoot each other for ages with skirms.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

The point of having goons is to be ready for your opponent switching to cav. Otherwise you would just go pure skirms, as they are simply superior in ranged fights. So the key is: don't overmake goons. If you can get away with having more skirms, without dying to a cav switch, it means you're winning the fight. So try to figure out how many goons you need; early on, usually just enough to one shoot a cav should be enough. Later on, maybe 15-20 goons.

The other thing is: don't fight with your goons. Use only your skirms. As I said you shouldn't have a ton of goons; so they're not really going to add a lot of dps. They're just gonna die when your opponent hits and runs them, making you weaker against the said potential cav switch.

So, basically, just attack move your skirms, and keep your goons in the back. If you're winning the skirm fight, then just keep on making skirms and widen the gap. If your skirm lead is big enough, add a few extra goons just in case. If you're losing the skirm fight, you should probably go back and prepare a cav switch yourself, unless it's a match up where you know you can come back in the skirm count. When fighting with cav, bring your skirms forward to snipe the goons, and bring your cav on top of his units and just attack move.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

This guy writes some of the best paragraphs here. :chinese:
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

GOTO kaisersPost
Pay more attention to detail.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

just z move skirms, foucs low hp ones
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

How do you manage to write a contradictory sentence with only eight words? You never cease to impress, nippleboy.
Pay more attention to detail.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

harry is special
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Moving skirms and goons back z-moving
Ye that's right how the game should be played!!! One day you will become a great player

Moving musks and cav forward and z-moving
Fucking disgrace, that's how the game must not be played!! Nerf all muskets, that's a no skill way to play!!!!

esoc in nutshell
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

somppukunkku wrote:Moving skirms and goons back z-moving
Ye that's right how the game should be played!!! One day you will become a great player

Fucking disgrace, that's how the game must not be played!! Nerf all muskets, that's a no skill way to play!!!!

esoc in nutshell

But skirm goon is supposed to be the counter...
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by noissance »

Kaiserklein wrote:

esoc in nutshell

On RE sepoy + Rajput (close enough to musk huss)> all
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Kaiserklein wrote:

esoc in nutshell

Why? Musks are supposed to beat cav and hussars are supposed to beat skirms.
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by noissance »

^ only in melee, hussar have terrible pathing with z move though so you can rarely take advantage of attack move.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

somppukunkku wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:

esoc in nutshell

Musk aren't really supposed to counter goons lol, they are supposed to counter heavy cav
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

bwinner1 wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Musk aren't really supposed to counter goons lol, they are supposed to counter heavy cav

Nope. They have bonus vs all cav, not only heavy cav like goons.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

somppukunkku wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Is it a fucking joke ? Their bonus is only for handcombat, so you cant use it vs goon...
Why should I explain this things to you ? Stop being bad faith please and admit when you say shit, you perfectly know that :
HI/RC+RI<RI+HC<HC+HI/RI<HI/RC+RI
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

bwinner1 wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Is it a fucking joke ? Their bonus is only for handcombat, so you cant use it vs goon...
Why should I explain this things to you ? Stop being bad faith please and admit when you say shit, you perfectly know that :
HI/RC+RI<RI+HC<HC+HI/RI<HI/RC+RI

Na, you can push your muskets between skirms and goons, huss on skirms and prevent goon from protecting the skirms. Muskets are supposed to beat goons even in ranged combat since goons are better HC counters.

Also pikes were supposed to beat goons because this game was designed for low pr games. That's why they suck so hard ingame

Saying skirm goon > musk huss is simply your own conclusion and when you lose those battles you think the game is not balanced and cry like babies.
Skirm goon "seems" to win because very usual situation is veteran goon+veteran skirm vs colonial musk huss
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

muskets are designed as an all around unit. while pikes are designed as hard counter unit to heavy melee cav. i disagree that pikes are supposed to beat goons when it's matter of unit control which is part of rts games.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Skirm goon > musk huss because it's 2 hard counter vs two not hard counters. That said it depends on ups and shit but in even numbers and same ups skirm goon is just the hard counter.
Image Image Image