Boxer Rush?

United States of America Inst
Skirmisher
ESO: Inst

Boxer Rush?

Post by Inst »

I know Boxer Rush is an old strategy, but does anyone else use it? What's its drawbacks? With Boxer Rush, I'm out-aging India for the first time, mainly because they lose villagers in Discovery Age to Boxer Rush ;)
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Re: Boxer Rush?

Post by sirmusket »

The fucks boxer rush, you referring to dogs? Spain?
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

Boxer Rebellion gives China Irregulars and Sentries that don't lose HP. What that means is that you have military units in Discovery Age that have adequate, not exceptional, damage vs villager. It's like Disciple Rush, except not nerfed to hell.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

Inst wrote:Boxer Rebellion gives China Irregulars and Sentries that don't lose HP. What that means is that you have military units in Discovery Age that have adequate, not exceptional, damage vs villager. It's like Disciple Rush, except not nerfed to hell.

eh prob not viable tbh ^^ but sounds interesting.
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

The best part is, you don't have to use Northern Refugees early. With Boxer Rush + Village Defenses, your villages give you a nice standing army that deters rushes and lets you set up. Haven't tried it vs British yet, and of course it's dependent on your ability to down villagers in Discovery Age, but so far, it's let me use flamethrower strats for Chinese Colonial with ease.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

sirmusket wrote:
Inst wrote:Boxer Rebellion gives China Irregulars and Sentries that don't lose HP. What that means is that you have military units in Discovery Age that have adequate, not exceptional, damage vs villager. It's like Disciple Rush, except not nerfed to hell.

fite me I'll rek u with this
oranges.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

Aizamk wrote:
sirmusket wrote:

fite me I'll rek u with this

Aiz vs LordRaph it will be very soon, perhaps you can utilise this strat in that bo7.
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

Well, I just beat a Master Sergeant with it, and I'm sure one of my opponents was a Lieutenant when he faced me. I think I've solved the China Colonial problem: you boom mass villages, then spam village defenses + boxer rebellion and you have a massive army. Then add flamethrowers to zomgwtfpwn infantry, and ming army to provide stability vs horsemen (or even just rely on your disciples), and you're a powerhouse. Hit the Northern Refugees card once you hit colonial, and bam, a 9-villager card and a massive army to boot.
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

Village People Deck:

Northern Refugees, Nomadic Settlement, Trade Empire, Boxer Rebellion, Holy Refuge
Nomadic Expansion, Snatch the Pebble, Mandarin Duck Squad, 9 Qiang Pikemen, 7 Steppe Riders, Mongolian Scourge, Artillery Hitpoints, Artillery Attack, Village Defenses, Hire 10 Rattan Shields
Western Refugees, Repelling Volley, Double-Faced Armor, Beiyang Army, Iron Cap Prince's Army, Siege Combat
Great Migration, Walk The Rice Paper, Old Han Army, Manchu Combat
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

If it was 3 per call from the villages I'd quite honestly be using it, but with 2 it's a bit underwhelming. Something for the EP team to correct.
oranges.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It will be considered if the sentries are also given resource gathering boost auras.
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

I just lost to summersummer using Village People, but that's my fault. But the underlying idea of these types of strats is NOT just the irregulars, it's the irregulars + delayed northern migration. You age up extremely slowly with this strat, but you get the equivalent of a 7-9 villager card depending on how you play it.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

sirmusket wrote:Aiz vs LordRaph it will be very soon, perhaps you can utilise this strat in that bo7.

Is this a dodge technique?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

in that case, might as well send the trickle instead. atleast its worth nearly 2.5 vills, and its much more useful than the boxer rebellion card. id honestly only use that card vs aztecs and possibly russia. but only on a tp map and AFTER i've sent villagers. lol
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

That's not the point, Village Defenses by themselves are just panic units, not game winners. When you combine Boxer and Village Defenses, though, what you get is an army being built from your villages, buildings you're going to have to make anyways. Seriously, boxer + village + defenses + late migration is much more flexible and gives China the ability to be potent in Colonial, which it is not to date.

My problem with China is the strategic monoculture; you FF or die. That's why my win-rate is so bad; I don't like FF. People have kindly told me to change civs because China has to FF, but Boxer + Village defenses gives me the ability to run China as a Colonial power.
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

Did I mention the land grab variant? It's somewhat less card-intensive, because Village People needs shipments, but Land Grab means you setup faster and can switch off more easily.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

I will try to put things into perspective for you
Boxer rebellion: Does essentially nothing for you except making the build possible and giving you the opportunity to use your tc sentries and irregulars as early raiders after clicking up. Sentries do 3.5 damge to a vill so all 4 combined do as much damage as a treasure native. the irregulars do more but the rading window is very small as they wont be in base before 4 mins and the enemy will have units around 5 mins
Village Defense: gives you the opportunity to train a limited amount (max 12) of cost unefficient pikemen (rougly same cost, +10% hp, -12.5% attack, -20% cav multipier, -50% vill multiplier, -90% siege) and quite cost efficient musketeers (with no cav multiplier and -50% vill multipliers and no siege again) and requires you to build 3 additional villages that you dont need for 600w
Northern Refugess: gives you 7 vill if you max villages which also requires you to build 3 additional villages that you don't need for 600w (compare this to a brit player sedning 5 vills while having invested the 600w in 4.5 manors which will yield him 9.5 vills)
and you skipped 3 vills in discovery + market + rax + consulate + your chance to age up to Fortress
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

Actually, sentries + irregulars combined can kill a villie in two salvos. Remember, 4 sentries deal 14 damage per salvo, but do so in 1.5 seconds. The irregulars deal 10.5 damage, but you have 4 of them, so it's 42 + 14, or in 3 seconds, you get off 126 damage, enough to put a villager deep in the red. Unfortunately, in my experience, boxer rush slows you down so much you're going to be at a gross disadvantage and you're just better off rushing to Colonial at 15, then using boxer / village defenses to set up your villie spam.

The important thing is that Chinese colonial econ plain sucks; Ottomans get free villagers, French get CqB efficiency, British get houses, Japanese get Shrines, Natives get fast Colonial, etc... What China theoretically has going for it is the villages, but unless you set up for 7 villagers or 9 villagers it's not much compensation.

The trick is the stacking cards, i.e, you need the card combo to get anything out of village spam. By itself, Boxer + Irregulars will NOT justify getting a bunch of villages. But with land grab? Much more cost effiicient. With late Northern Refugees? Pays off most of the 140 wood villages, converting them into British Manors, and the remainder is paid for by cheap irregulars.

But you're free to FF all you want and do all these cookie-cutter plays. The land grab version has been working great, mind you, it's just the village shipments have been more disappointing.
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher
ESO: deadrising78

Post by deadrising78 »

Inst wrote:Actually, sentries + irregulars combined can kill a villie in two salvos. Remember, 4 sentries deal 14 damage per salvo, but do so in 1.5 seconds. The irregulars deal 10.5 damage, but you have 4 of them, so it's 42 + 14, or in 3 seconds, you get off 126 damage, enough to put a villager deep in the red. Unfortunately, in my experience, boxer rush slows you down so much you're going to be at a gross disadvantage and you're just better off rushing to Colonial at 15, then using boxer / village defenses to set up your villie spam.

The important thing is that Chinese colonial econ plain sucks; Ottomans get free villagers, French get CqB efficiency, British get houses, Japanese get Shrines, Natives get fast Colonial, etc... What China theoretically has going for it is the villages, but unless you set up for 7 villagers or 9 villagers it's not much compensation.

The trick is the stacking cards, i.e, you need the card combo to get anything out of village spam. By itself, Boxer + Irregulars will NOT justify getting a bunch of villages. But with land grab? Much more cost effiicient. With late Northern Refugees? Pays off most of the 140 wood villages, converting them into British Manors, and the remainder is paid for by cheap irregulars.

But you're free to FF all you want and do all these cookie-cutter plays. The land grab version has been working great, mind you, it's just the village shipments have been more disappointing.

140 wood villages saves you at most 360 wood
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

In the end youre putting in a ton of resources (shipments) for something that is not worth the investment. If you wamna rush, just make old han army and ship units. If you want to boom, just FF and get the porcelain tower.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

If only it also gave you a 2nd batch of minutemen to call from TC. Might actually be worth it in some games then. :/
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

deleted_user wrote:It will be considered if the sentries are also given resource gathering boost auras.

let's make a completely new civ once again! It'll be so great, you will love it as soon as you see the finished product! :ugly:
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Post by Kazamkikaz »

Make box rush, irregulars can raid enime, could give you time and keep him with idle vill for long time and without good herd but it doesnt change the game to much if you dont make good discovery rush.
It could help versus Russia rush or otto rush.
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Using that for rush is bad. However a way to play China that was intended is to go max villages around the map and then nothern refugees for max vill payoff. Then maybe use the card to help defend your late age up.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Kazamkikaz wrote:Make box rush, irregulars can raid enime, could give you time and keep him with idle vill for long time and without good herd but it doesnt change the game to much if you dont make good discovery rush.
It could help versus Russia rush or otto rush.

Sounds "oof my PR."