Shipping 5 fishing boats instead of 4 villagers as Japan

India boks
Crossbow
ESO: boks_

Shipping 5 fishing boats instead of 4 villagers as Japan

Post by boks »

They both gather food at the same rate,so why does none ship 5/8 fishing boats on water maps?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: Shipping 5 fishing boats instead of 4 villagers as Japan

Post by Mitoe »

The main reason is that they're too easily raided by your opponent if they have 2 caravels in their deck or if their civ can age with a caravel.

If you send 5 boats, get 3 from consulate, and maybe even send 5 more boats later (maybe you even sent 3 boats in age 1); your opponent just gets to kill 13-16 vills really easily if they get a warship of any kind, and they WILL know if you've sent fishing boats or not by checking your deck.

However, if your opponent is playing a civ that won't/can't age with a caravel and they don't have warships in their deck (you can delay picking your deck a bit to see theirs, sending Heavenly Kami 5-10 seconds isn't going to make a difference), then you could go for it.
India guyshir
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: guyshir

Post by guyshir »

Another thing which could be added is that market upgrades improves villagers gather rate not for fishing boat. Idk how much better they get, but it might be more efficient on the long run.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The other main reason besides the one mitoe mentioned is that people generally don't get the boat gather rate upgrades. So once you add in 5%+5%+10%+10% 4 vils is better. Although I think 5 boats may have a niche use if a jap player is getting rushed by say Aztec or Iro cause they won't get belled up by a rush.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

I don't really think that's a valid reason. 5 unupgraded fishing boats still gather faster than 4 fully upgraded villagers.

4v Full Upgrades: 3.216 f/s
5 Fishing Boats: 3.35 f/s
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

It's marginal, you also lose time due to boats having to move every 500f while jap vils don't. Boats can't gather wood, you can't use boats to defend, once the sea runs out of food you can only gather gold or have to delete them if there's no Whales. Also since your opponent can see that you've sent them its a bit shit, if you do send them you kinda have to get a dock too.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

The fact that you can afford to send orchards 1 card later a lot of the time makes them worth it as long as your opponent can't punish them with warships, regardless of whether or not they actually gather faster than 4v.
Great Britain ListlessSalmon
Skirmisher
ESO: ListlessSalmon

Post by ListlessSalmon »

Mitoe wrote:I don't really think that's a valid reason. 5 unupgraded fishing boats still gather faster than 4 fully upgraded villagers.

0.67*1.3*4=3.484 So 4v full upgrades does give more.

Your Calculation seems to assume full upgrades gives a 1.2 multiplier rather than 1.3 multiplier. (Obviously this is marginal and the important point is raiding/land resource depletion).
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

ListlessSalmon wrote:
Mitoe wrote:I don't really think that's a valid reason. 5 unupgraded fishing boats still gather faster than 4 fully upgraded villagers.

0.67*1.3*4=3.484 So 4v full upgrades does give more.

Your Calculation seems to assume full upgrades gives a 1.2 multiplier rather than 1.3 multiplier. (Obviously this is marginal and the important point is raiding/land resource depletion).

Ah, you're right, for some reason I only did 1.2
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

The same goes with coin: should yopu prepare for turtle just send boats: having 3/6/8 etc... boats gather your coin is crucial. Often times you only have one mine.
United States of America IntrepidExplorer
Musketeer
ESO: DownToBuck

Post by IntrepidExplorer »

Mitoe wrote:Ah, you're right, for some reason I only did 1.2

Isn't it 1.2? Imperial Bureaucracy is 10% and the individual ups are 10%? I always thought those numbers were cumulative - like IB only gave 5% total upgrade more after Civil Servants, and Yokazura Lanterns gave 5% "more" total than Hanami Parties.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

boats will make land resources last longer which is a big pro.
Nothing wrong with 5 boats really, especially with strats that involve shipment spam.
Image Image Image
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

IntrepidExplorer wrote:
Mitoe wrote:Ah, you're right, for some reason I only did 1.2

Isn't it 1.2? Imperial Bureaucracy is 10% and the individual ups are 10%? I always thought those numbers were cumulative - like IB only gave 5% total upgrade more after Civil Servants, and Yokazura Lanterns gave 5% "more" total than Hanami Parties.

It's 30% total. 5% from first food up, 5% from Civil Servants, 10% from 2nd food up, and 10% from Imperial Beuracracy.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Cant really fit both in your deck if you wamt warships and warship att and daiymo and orchards in your deck, 4v is just moreversatile
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Gotta remove 300 export or 5 ashi/yumi.
Image Image Image
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

4v, 600w, 600c, 5ashi, 5 yumi, 2 orchards, 2 boats, warship attack, 5 boats, yumi attack, ashi attack, daimyo= 12
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

I ship 5 boats almost always if I shipped 3 boats already. 5 fishing boats gather pretty much the same as 4 vills with full market ups, but obviously don't need the upgrades. Dropping a dock is also quite nice, as it gives you an extra degree of safety, and allows you to get some of the upgrades which help a lot once you go onto whales. Generally I don't like 8 boats as much, mostly because at that point those extra boats will just chew through the remaining sea resources too quickly, and 7 vills is a better shipment if you have market ups.

Normally I don't run the age 2 daimyo so I don't really have to remove anything too important to add 5 boats.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.