Discussion over timings

United States of America Sub0Winters
Crossbow
ESO: Sub0Winters

Discussion over timings

Post by Sub0Winters »

I am trying to figure out what people mean by a timing. How do you identify when is a timing and how do you respond as a offender/defender of a timing?

Here is an example of it being used in goodspeeds Spain guide: 600w or (4) 8 pike for a timing or (4) 600/700g (age up optional)

Are these memorized times in the game or what?

Thanks!

Sub0
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Discussion over timings

Post by Gendarme »

A timing is when your military power spikes. This is usually done intentionally by preparation. An example would be sending 1000 coin to train 10 cuirassiers from two stables, and right after sending a shipment of 3 cuirassiers. Your shipment of 3 cuirassiers will arrive almost at the same time as your 10 cuirassiers pop out of your stables, and at that very point in time you'll have a larger army than you otherwise would have (because you timed everything for this specific moment). This is typically when you're at your strongest and should pressure your opponent, because you sacrificed long-term gains for this military boost.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

the word timing is basically something like the word freedom. everyone vaguely understands what it means, but whenever you ask, it seems like everyone means something else.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I'm correct, though. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Gendarme is mostly correct. A "timing" is usually when your army is at a strong point during the game, and will change from game to game depending upon your build order; they are, however, also relative to your opponent's strong points. If you reach the strongest point in your build with 30 musketeers but your opponent has equal or more units than you, you don't exactly have any sort of "timing."

You can identify timings with good scouting, usually, and respond by adapting your build. The easiest way to anticipate a timing is to attempt to scout the opponent's shipments and keep track of them; in order to do this it's important to understand the differences between different types of shipments:

1) Villager/Economic Shipments: The best times to send a villager shipment are early on (3-5+ minutes before any sort of intended "timing."), or after a timing. Villagers take longer to pay off than other shipments, because their instant resource value is essentially 0 when they arrive, but will increase infinitely over the course of the game assuming they survive and that the game lasts long enough: so you ideally want to send them in such a way that they'll gather enough resources to be equal or greater than another card at the point that you want to fight. If you try to send a villager shipment while you're pushing, your push is going to be a lot weaker with that 0 resource boost to your army value than if you sent something like 6 musketeers (600 resources). If you scout a villager shipment, it's unlikely for a push to come immediately.

Send villager shipments early in your build, or after you've pushed or gained some sort of advantage so that you can start gearing up for a 2nd timing later on in the game.

2) Resource Crates: Resource crates give you a more immediate bonus than villager shipments, and are often higher value than military shipments, but require time to gather and spend. They contribute to your build ~60 seconds after arriving. For timings, it is usually a good idea to send crates right before a military shipment or something so that you can time the spending of these resources with an immediate military shipment. It's also important to note that resource crates are more flexible than military shipments, so when scouting you should be try to be aware of what else they could be spending these resources on other than military that could delay their timing; e.g. aging/teching up, trading posts, manors/shrines/banks, fishing boats, etc.

3) Military Unit/Upgrade Shipments: Military-related shipments have a more immediate impact on the game than villager/crate shipments. They add instant resource value to your military and are great to send as you are fighting or intending to fight. If you aren't intending to attack or defend anything in the near future, you will almost always be better off sending some other sort of shipment instead so that you may have a stronger timing with one of these cards later down the road instead.

Using this information, you should usually be able to anticipate a strong or weak point in your opponent's build order, which will either indicate a timing window for you to punish them for investing in something other than military, or you will need to defend a timing from them for a similar reason.

Shipments aren't the only way to anticipate timings, however. If you aren't able to scout your opponent's build order you can usually expect them to try fight you when they are running low on natural resources, and you should also be aware of how long your own resources are going to last you and when you will need to fight for resources yourself, and decide which shipments to send accordingly. It is also important to note that some civilizations are less reliant on shipments for their timings than other civilizations, and vise versa. British, for example, tend to have a strong economy, meaning that the value of a single shipment overall will be less for them than it will be for other civilizations because it will be worth a smaller percentage of their overall income—for this reason you can usually anticipate timings from these types of civilizations based more on their natural resources than their build order. Iroquois, on the other hand, is very reliant on shipments for their timings as their economy is inherently weaker than most other civilizations due to the lack of certain economic upgrades like Steel Traps.

P.S. I feel like I'm forgetting something, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment. Hopefully I'm not, and I just think that I am forgetting something because I am tired :)
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

5 wardogs explorer 6 MM villagers 13 guard halberdiers and lancers
oranges.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

It really is great when you agree with Gendarme on things.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I never quite understood it either, but now I do!
This will add strength to my game.
[Sith] - Baphomet
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Aizamk wrote:5 wardogs explorer 6 MM villagers 13 guard halberdiers and lancers

A well documented timing
phpBB [video]
De Funk
United States of America Sub0Winters
Crossbow
ESO: Sub0Winters

Post by Sub0Winters »

Thank you all. This was very informative. :-)
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Gendarme wrote:An example would be sending 1000 coin to train 10 cuirassiers from two stables, and right after sending a shipment of 3 cuirassiers. Your shipment of 3 cuirassiers will arrive almost at the same time as your 10 cuirassiers pop out of your stables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5X_PTx8yQ
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

To win decively, one would need to find a point in time where your civ has a decisive military advantage over the other. Trying to find this moment in time, then trying to maximize the advantage by investing a lot in military for a bit, and then pushing is what makes up a timing attack.
Canada JulyBurnsOrange
Skirmisher
ESO: JulyBurnsOrange

Post by JulyBurnsOrange »

Hidddy_ wrote:
Aizamk wrote:5 wardogs explorer 6 MM villagers 13 guard halberdiers and lancers

A well documented timing
phpBB [video]

One of my favorite games of AOE3 ever
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

@Mitoe nice post, but I'll explain to you more in details tomorrow what's a timing
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Kaiserklein wrote:@Mitoe nice post, but I'll explain to you more in details tomorrow what's a timing

Is this foreshadowing? :hmm:
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

:hmm:
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Kaiserklein wrote:@Mitoe nice post, but I'll explain to you more in details tomorrow what's a timing

Can't wait :smile:
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Post by Kazamkikaz »

timing is when you use your resources for especific unit type/size ( sending army upgrade, army shipment or resource ship) to be eable to defend enime attack or attack him and turn the game in your favor with more than 80 % chance of sucess, for example Aizamk Spain timing versus Nagayumi iroque timing, Nagayumi was with intence to attack spain with big army when Aizamk hit age 3 with Spain, in this situation, Aiz dont hv alot army ( in any Spain FF case he will get some thing like 8 pikes or 4 huss and 5-10 musk vs alot tomahoucks, kanya horse etc), but the crazy Aizamk just collet alot resources and use it later (on that time) for dogs, minute man, 5 lancers, 13 guard halbardiers, villagers all this came from 1 tc in one time (timing) to be eable to destroy that iroque mass who were sieging the Aizamk tc.
Hope u understand, send 600w/8pikes or700c or what ever doesnt mean timing, timing is when and what u do with that 600w/8pikes etc
Another simple example, make 10 musk and go to attack enime when he have 5 musk and can call mm or make 20 musk and send 6 musk and go attack 30s later when enime has 10-15 musk and not resouces for mm for some reason, what is the best time ?, to know if is good time you need know what enime is doing, so need scout, unless the oponent is anti-aizamk or some aoe3 cyborg player, who always do colonial musk start in 5min of the game with french even if is playing nr game :lol:
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

Kazamkikaz wrote:attack him and turn the game in your favor with more than 80 % chance of sucess,

Why 80%? :hmm:
ImageImageImage
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon

Post by Kazamkikaz »

j_t_kirk wrote:
Kazamkikaz wrote:attack him and turn the game in your favor with more than 80 % chance of sucess,

Why 80%? :hmm:

just invented right now can be 100%
My Youtube channel

Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Kazamkikaz wrote:timing is when you use your resources for especific unit type/size ( sending army upgrade, army shipment or resource ship) to be eable to defend enime attack or attack him and turn the game in your favor with more than 80 % chance of sucess, for example Aizamk Spain timing versus Nagayumi iroque timing, Nagayumi was with intence to attack spain with big army when Aizamk hit age 3 with Spain, in this situation, Aiz dont hv alot army ( in any Spain FF case he will get some thing like 8 pikes or 4 huss and 5-10 musk vs alot tomahoucks, kanya horse etc), but the crazy Aizamk just collet alot resources and use it later (on that time) for dogs, minute man, 5 lancers, 13 guard halbardiers, villagers all this came from 1 tc in one time (timing) to be eable to destroy that iroque mass who were sieging the Aizamk tc.
Hope u understand, send 600w/8pikes or700c or what ever doesnt mean timing, timing is when and what u do with that 600w/8pikes etc
Another simple example, make 10 musk and go to attack enime when he have 5 musk and can call mm or make 20 musk and send 6 musk and go attack 30s later when enime has 10-15 musk and not resouces for mm for some reason, what is the best time ?, to know if is good time you need know what enime is doing, so need scout, unless the oponent is anti-aizamk or some aoe3 cyborg player, who always do colonial musk start in 5min of the game with french even if is playing nr game :lol:

I love how you spell the word "enemy"
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon

Post by Kazamkikaz »

Sargsyan wrote:
Kazamkikaz wrote:timing is when you use your resources for especific unit type/size ( sending army upgrade, army shipment or resource ship) to be eable to defend enemy attack or attack him and turn the game in your favor with more than 80 % chance of sucess, for example Aizamk Spain timing versus Nagayumi iroque timing, Nagayumi was with intence to attack spain with big army when Aizamk hit age 3 with Spain, in this situation, Aiz dont hv alot army ( in any Spain FF case he will get some thing like 8 pikes or 4 huss and 5-10 musk vs alot tomahoucks, kanya horse etc), but the crazy Aizamk just collet alot resources and use it later (on that time) for dogs, minute man, 5 lancers, 13 guard halbardiers, villagers all this came from 1 tc in one time (timing) to be eable to destroy that iroque mass who were sieging the Aizamk tc.
Another simple example, make 10 musk and go to attack enemy when he have 5 musk and can call mm or make 20 musk and send 6 musk and go attack 30s later when enime has 10-15 musk and not resouces for mm for some reason, what is the best time ?, to know if is good time you need know what enime is doing, so need scout, unless the oponent is anti-aizamk or some aoe3 cyborg player, who always do colonial musk start in 5min of the game with french even if is playing nr game :lol:

rip my fucked english :cry: :roll: :lol:
My Youtube channel

Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Kazamkikaz wrote:
Sargsyan wrote:
Kazamkikaz wrote:timing is when you use your resources for especific unit type/size ( sending army upgrade, army shipment or resource ship) to be eable to defend enemy attack or attack him and turn the game in your favor with more than 80 % chance of sucess, for example Aizamk Spain timing versus Nagayumi iroque timing, Nagayumi was with intence to attack spain with big army when Aizamk hit age 3 with Spain, in this situation, Aiz dont hv alot army ( in any Spain FF case he will get some thing like 8 pikes or 4 huss and 5-10 musk vs alot tomahoucks, kanya horse etc), but the crazy Aizamk just collet alot resources and use it later (on that time) for dogs, minute man, 5 lancers, 13 guard halbardiers, villagers all this came from 1 tc in one time (timing) to be eable to destroy that iroque mass who were sieging the Aizamk tc.
Another simple example, make 10 musk and go to attack enemy when he have 5 musk and can call mm or make 20 musk and send 6 musk and go attack 30s later when enime has 10-15 musk and not resouces for mm for some reason, what is the best time ?, to know if is good time you need know what enime is doing, so need scout, unless the oponent is anti-aizamk or some aoe3 cyborg player, who always do colonial musk start in 5min of the game with french even if is playing nr game :lol:

rip my fucked english :cry: :roll: :lol:

Its ok bro,your english is quite good
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Kazamkikaz wrote:Aizamk Spain timing versus Nagayumi iroque timing

@yurashic :hmm:
oranges.