MU of the week: Germans versus French on Cascade Range!

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

MU of the week: Germans versus French on Cascade Range!

Post by kami_ryu »

Welcome to MU of the week. Every week a thread will be opened where we go over a certain match, set on a certain map. Hopefully the discussion will be in depth and top players will share their insight. Replays are definitely welcome so that people may support what they have to say. To make things even more interesting and engaging, we'll set the match-up on a certain map.

This week's featured match-up is Germans versus French, the map is Cascade Range.

---

You can vote on next week's thread here: https://goo.gl/forms/aJaEGXaIIxYi19kO2

You can find a list of ESOC maps here: maps.php

Here the match up table: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

---

Welcome! Credit for this idea goes to @lemmings121 as well as @musketeer925 & @BrookG building upon it. They are the masterminds behind this pretty nice idea!
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Re: MU of the week: Germans versus French on Cascade Range!

Post by amiggo1999 »

Terrible map for both (not many mines for ger, and shit hunts for fre + no tp's), but ger>fre, so it favours ger i'd say.
Image Image
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I would say the lack of TPs would penalize Germany much more than it would France. I think France has the upper hand here but I'm not quite so sure myself.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

Well france also wants TP, but you're right it penalizes germany harder, which makes their age 3 significantly less viable, and in age 2 france does quite well
Image Image
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Imo fre goes samwise build, and germany just dies
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

gotta pull an iamsoldier on this map, maybe some xbow many dops and a couple uhlan can do fine in age 2 on EP vs france
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

nat rush with fre, nootka hussar rush ez win. gg no re.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

For real, no idea how germany survives a samwise build here. maybe start 700w 3sw double rax? but bow pike is so trash it appears to be just playing on fre hands to do that.
No Flag Forjustice
Advanced Player
EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Forjustice

Post by Forjustice »

dop!
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Mitoe and I will maybe play this mu on this map and rec it
But it should be france favoured there, because they don't suffer as much as germany from the lack of TP, and because low resources also favour france: better colonial play because they have musketeers, and better mapcontrol because they have cdbs ready to fight on hunts if needed.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Lack of TP is worse for Germans but traditionally Germans have better early colonial play thanks to free ulhans and in general more impactful shipments. I'm talking about stuff like tower rushing of course, not passive eco play.
French have muskets and cdbs for later but I think as long as Germans control the game it is possible to deny those advantages.
Low hunt is better for Germans, but the map is also low mine. In theory French also have up for xbows if the game goes long enough for coin units not being trainable anymore.
This map has good nats and that's certainly favors French. Besides map control, Nootka provide a tech for vill hp which makes cdbs even stronger and Klamath have a tech for food crates which can help later on. Both civs should consider spice trade card imo, but French have probably easier time fitting it in the deck.
Caravel drop is also valuable because in both lakes generally cover at least one mine.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Tower rush against france is realistically suicide though, just like any other kind of infantry rush from germany. huss + mm or cdbs can clean everything up so easily. And then when france gets a large enough mass of musks, there is not much germany can do to win in colonial.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

replays yes plz
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Huss+mm shouldn't clean it up at high level of play because the rushing player is not overcommitting and his micro is going to be up to the task. Then if cav start player doesn't succeed in punishing a proxy start he will be without map control and with more res sunk due to the cav start.
I agree when musk spam becomes a thing it gets really hard for Germans, altho dopp HP boost widens up the window for Germany to keep control. Ulhan HP nerf sucks in this case.

For the record, if French player does normal eco stuff proxy tower+stable with 5 ulhans first card is likely going to rek it. Just to say that are lot of side strats to consider.
Image Image Image
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Kaiserklein wrote:Mitoe and I will maybe play this mu on this map and rec it
But it should be france favoured there, because they don't suffer as much as germany from the lack of TP, and because low resources also favour france: better colonial play because they have musketeers, and better mapcontrol because they have cdbs ready to fight on hunts if needed.

If you wouldn't mind, will you send the rec so I can cast it before next weekends Fantastic Friday or whatever it will be called :P
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Dont you think mitoe the number 1 player needs more competition
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Hazza54321 wrote:

Dont you think mitoe the number 1 player needs more competition

I do, yeah, but occasionally I need to just assert my dominance I think so that people don't start getting the wrong idea.

@Kaiserklein play tomorrow? (Today? :hmm: )

But actually, I think it might still be close. I remember having some close games with Irishfaithful on this map and matchup a while back, although he did end up winning in the lategame because French units outscale German units.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah we can play this later today
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

germany is not even that bad on age2 vs france imo. Pretty fair I would say but france should have an advantage later on because of the musketeers. Of course not having tp is worse for germany because they need more xp for their shipments. I'd musk hus as france and maybe age a bit later. As germany, I'd probably try to trap my opponent and get a good surround with dopp uhlans
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

I dont see how a dop lands a single atack vs a pr25+ player.. maybe if you make 10 dops you can charge them, lose 8 before the fight, and have 2 engaging the musks
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

it takes 11 musks to.kne shot a dopp, with 4.5 speed they close up quite well
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Garja wrote:Lack of TP is worse for Germans but traditionally Germans have better early colonial play thanks to free ulhans and in general more impactful shipments. I'm talking about stuff like tower rushing of course, not passive eco play.
French have muskets and cdbs for later but I think as long as Germans control the game it is possible to deny those advantages.
Low hunt is better for Germans, but the map is also low mine. In theory French also have up for xbows if the game goes long enough for coin units not being trainable anymore.
This map has good nats and that's certainly favors French. Besides map control, Nootka provide a tech for vill hp which makes cdbs even stronger and Klamath have a tech for food crates which can help later on. Both civs should consider spice trade card imo, but French have probably easier time fitting it in the deck.
Caravel drop is also valuable because in both lakes generally cover at least one mine.

yup. klamath good unit actually. you can get nootka vil hp, pioneers and great coats, and your vils have 100% more hp. pull 12 of them, and it's like having 5 mams in the fights worth of tanking hp. and actually, they have decent dmg output as well. like 4 mams worth. There's no way germany can hold that timing.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

No MU of the week this week? :cry:
ImageImageImage
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Can the rec be posted here please ?
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »