Sieging houses vs. sieging other buildings

Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Sieging houses vs. sieging other buildings

Post by yemshi »

In response to the sieging manor houses thread:
Sieging houses vs. sieging military building vs. sieging TC.
Discuss!
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Re: Sieging houses vs. sieging other buildings

Post by Googol »

It’s just situational, sometimes you want to siege houses sometimes you want so siege production facilities and sometimes you do 2 rax Jan and siege tc (my favorite strategy)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Sieging TC is criminally underrated tbh.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Always depends on the opponents civ and BO, circumsieging TC is pretty effective if you expect a shipment popping that can't win vs your mass alone
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Siege what you can get away with without setting up your army to be caught.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Town Center is more dangerous because you can get trapped with MM + vills + shipment. With other military buildings it's usually safer.

When I know an enemy is aging up, I try to go for the TC. When he is not, usually houses & production facilities do the trick.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Siege whatever you'd like, except Aizamk's tc
De Funk
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

momuuu wrote:Sieging TC is criminally underrated tbh.

overrated imo. so many game ppl lose trying to siege tc and then getting destroyed in the process sometimes getting tc or not. ofcourse some games can be won by getting that tc down, but in many cases you could've also won by getting houses down instead, or something similar. because getting tc down in many cases is an all or nothing bet. It might be the fastest way to win a game in some cases, but it's also the fastest way to lose it in some others. A systematic grinding approach has a much higher success rate.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:

overrated imo. so many game ppl lose trying to siege tc and then getting destroyed in the process sometimes getting tc or not. ofcourse some games can be won by getting that tc down, but in many cases you could've also won by getting houses down instead, or something similar. because getting tc down in many cases is an all or nothing bet. It might be the fastest way to win a game in some cases, but it's also the fastest way to lose it in some others. A systematic grinding approach has a much higher success rate.

This is why it's criminally underrated. It frequently is the move that gives you by far the highest chance to win, and then people use examples of pr20 otto players trying to right click a TC with jans while dying to minutemen and xbows as an example as why sieging a TC is always bad.

Yes, sieging a TC is not on it's own a win condition. However, sieging a TC can definitely be a way to secure a win against an opponent that could otherwise stabilize with age 3 shipments/units. It's not about the worst or best case scenarios, but about the winrate it offers. Sometimes its indeed very stupid to siege a TC, but there are countless games that I've won where my opponents could've just sieged my TC down to punish a greedy age up.

edeholland wrote:Town Center is more dangerous because you can get trapped with MM + vills + shipment. With other military buildings it's usually safer.

When I know an enemy is aging up, I try to go for the TC. When he is not, usually houses & production facilities do the trick.

but now lets look at a level of play somewhere above casual. You know whats possible if you're any good: there is minutemen, potentially a batch of units and a shipment, but you will know that. If you guess they won't age up too fast, which you can know with some amount of accuracy, and have properly judged their amount of resources/available units then you should get a very good judgement on how safe seiging the TC is. People just ignore this as if it's always 100% unsafe.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Notice how in this game goodspeed ends up losing because he badly underrates how strong sieging a TC can be: https://youtu.be/02LrR3wcog4?t=13m17s

He easily destroys 2 banks. I popped minutemen already, clearly had a greedy age up and would have struggled shipping something that could quickly deal with goodspeed's army. If he stays, the 'worst' that could happen was a 13 skirm pop in 40 seconds, which would never even had a shot at contesting the pikes sieging the TC (in reality, the TC would probably be dead before those even pop). The TC goes down, the skirms at best have an even trade, he'll kill a ton of villagers, and I'd still really have had to rebuild the TC which is really expensive. And this is the worst case scenario - I am quite sure the TC would've gone down before I'd have ever gotten a shipment.

Instead he kills 'only' 2 banks, instead of doing game ending damage, then the game goes on and I get the chance to make a comeback and end up making that comeback. Even though I end up winning, goodspeed was definitely still favored, but sieging the banks definitely was a lower winpercentage play than sieging the TC.

Being a greedy Dutch player I've experienced countless instances where I aged up with way too much greed, almost got punished but then my opponents spend a lot of idle time sieging useless buildings (often banks) and then dying to the shipments I'll end up getting, while instead they could have just killed the TC, prevented shipments from ever arriving and then just instantly win. There is a mental block in the average community where reasoning like Umeu's is used to justify never sieging a TC, which is not justified.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

momuuu wrote:
umeu wrote:

This is why it's criminally underrated. It frequently is the move that gives you by far the highest chance to win, and then people use examples of pr20 otto players trying to right click a TC with jans while dying to minutemen and xbows as an example as why sieging a TC is always bad.

Yes, sieging a TC is not on it's own a win condition. However, sieging a TC can definitely be a way to secure a win against an opponent that could otherwise stabilize with age 3 shipments/units. It's not about the worst or best case scenarios, but about the winrate it offers. Sometimes its indeed very stupid to siege a TC, but there are countless games that I've won where my opponents could've just sieged my TC down to punish a greedy age up.

edeholland wrote:Town Center is more dangerous because you can get trapped with MM + vills + shipment. With other military buildings it's usually safer.

but now lets look at a level of play somewhere above casual. You know whats possible if you're any good: there is minutemen, potentially a batch of units and a shipment, but you will know that. If you guess they won't age up too fast, which you can know with some amount of accuracy, and have properly judged their amount of resources/available units then you should get a very good judgement on how safe seiging the TC is. People just ignore this as if it's always 100% unsafe.

I don't know how you can say its underrated when it's actually the one of the most common thing people do, and often do wrong as well. Like going for the TC when it has 0 added value (for example after someone has already aged up or something. How many times do people die and lose all their shit or their lead because they're trying to siege a tc and get popped on, while if they'd gone straight for the eco (wherever the vils are) then they would've won the game.

I'm not talking about pr20 otto games here, i'm talking about high level games. Obviously, there are countless games where people couldve won sieging tc, and countless games where people lost sieging the tc. The question is, could they have won doing something else than sieging tc, and would they have lost if they hadn't sieged the tc. In most cases the answer is yes to both. Aoe is a game where you don't have all the info, and that's what scares people from sieging a tc, ofcourse maybe he doesn't have anything to stop you. Maybe they do. the question is, how to know when which is the case? having that game sense and tactical insight is something that goes much deeper than just "siege the tc" imo.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

momuuu wrote:Notice how in this game goodspeed ends up losing because he badly underrates how strong sieging a TC can be: https://youtu.be/02LrR3wcog4?t=13m17s

He easily destroys 2 banks. I popped minutemen already, clearly had a greedy age up and would have struggled shipping something that could quickly deal with goodspeed's army. If he stays, the 'worst' that could happen was a 13 skirm pop in 40 seconds, which would never even had a shot at contesting the pikes sieging the TC (in reality, the TC would probably be dead before those even pop). The TC goes down, the skirms at best have an even trade, he'll kill a ton of villagers, and I'd still really have had to rebuild the TC which is really expensive. And this is the worst case scenario - I am quite sure the TC would've gone down before I'd have ever gotten a shipment.

Instead he kills 'only' 2 banks, instead of doing game ending damage, then the game goes on and I get the chance to make a comeback and end up making that comeback. Even though I end up winning, goodspeed was definitely still favored, but sieging the banks definitely was a lower winpercentage play than sieging the TC.

Being a greedy Dutch player I've experienced countless instances where I aged up with way too much greed, almost got punished but then my opponents spend a lot of idle time sieging useless buildings (often banks) and then dying to the shipments I'll end up getting, while instead they could have just killed the TC, prevented shipments from ever arriving and then just instantly win. There is a mental block in the average community where reasoning like Umeu's is used to justify never sieging a TC, which is not justified.

where do i say "never" siege a tc? that's silly and a purposeful misrepresentation of what i said. but whatever.

the reason gs doesn't go for your tc is simple, he doesn't know that you don't have a shipment. you can easily focus down the pikes with mm, send 4 huss or something, train some units from rax and hold that push. I believe you also still had mm, so that factored in to his decision making probably. it's very unlikely the amount of units wouldve sieged down the tc if you immediately had a shipment. taking 2 banks, is the safer choice and totally understandable. Going for that tc in his position wouldve been a gamble, a gamble that you wouldn't have a shipment or wouldve mishandle that situation. Going for the 2 banks is relying on your own play more. GS lost that game on so many more points than just not sieging the tc, I don't think you can say it was just that. He couldve done what he did, and gone in at 12 min and he wouldve totally crushed you. He couldve aged up to industrial unpunished, and totally crushed you with infinite crow shipments. so many things he couldve done. Problem was that he never capitalised on the damage he did, the time it bought him to age or the army advantage that gave him to do a timing.

Then the fight he took, he took at the worst time, with the worst possible angle of attack. And he didn't have to take that fight. He had map control. He couldve taken 3 tps + nats and boom. IV wouldve been an option, either 10 vils or 12 skir crow push. The mistake he made is a very common one, where he secures an advantage but then doesn't do anything with it. He went for army pressure, which gave him an advantage to exploit, which he pretty much choose to exploit by going army, but then he sat in his base with his army for 6 minutes and didn't do anything. If you go for the army advantage you must be more active. He also could've gone for the tech (IV) advantage or boom (in this case tp's or IV with 10v), which wouldve been better with that passive approach.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I don't know how you can say its underrated when it's actually the one of the most common thing people do, and often do wrong as well. Like going for the TC when it has 0 added value (for example after someone has already aged up or something. How many times do people die and lose all their shit or their lead because they're trying to siege a tc and get popped on, while if they'd gone straight for the eco (wherever the vils are) then they would've won the game.

I'm not talking about pr20 otto games here, i'm talking about high level games. Obviously, there are countless games where people couldve won sieging tc, and countless games where people lost sieging the tc. The question is, could they have won doing something else than sieging tc, and would they have lost if they hadn't sieged the tc. In most cases the answer is yes to both. Aoe is a game where you don't have all the info, and that's what scares people from sieging a tc, ofcourse maybe he doesn't have anything to stop you. Maybe they do. the question is, how to know when which is the case? having that game sense and tactical insight is something that goes much deeper than just "siege the tc" imo.

Tbh, I don't recall a game where someone lost due to sieging the TC. I don't even think it's often done anymore, people rarely siege town centers above pr25. It's extremely uncommon. Maybe it used to be common, but I think very few people do this despite being frequently a very strong move which is why I'd call it underrated.

umeu wrote:
momuuu wrote:There is a mental block in the average community where reasoning like Umeu's is used to justify never sieging a TC, which is not justified.

where do i say "never" siege a tc? that's silly and a purposeful misrepresentation of what i said. but whatever.

Is it? Did I say you used your reasoning to justify never sieging a TC? Read closely!
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Watch some aiz games 21.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

https://youtu.be/kX3F0q8mFYY?t=1h55m
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/37828072
(skip to 9:10 for the twitch one)

Two examples of town center sieging being a move that not many players would go for. In the first one, you can directly see how insanely much pressure the sieging from the janis puts on the towncenter. If Raphael goes for houses instead, there are actually hidden villagers and there's 200w in the bank for H2O which just lets him rebuild some hidden houses. That's actually quite a common thing to happen, it's really easy to sneak out a few villagers. If he spends too much time walking around, sieging a barracks that won't produce units anyways, or siege a market or sth 'because sieging a TC is not safe' he might actually lose that game. Instead, Raphael puts a lot of pressure on H2O by sieging all relevant shipment points as that'll make a comeback nearly impossible. Raphael knows the state of the game, knows what age up times are possible and what h2o could possibly have, and makes imo by far the best decisions in terms of what to siege that results in the highest possible winrate.

In the second one I think walking around too much with the sepoys, sieging a market or corral or trying to pressure villagers will result in the sioux player being able to get at least a shipment out. Sieging the TC here is by far the highest winrate play imo. It's such an important part of the game and I really do feel like people often fail to recognise that sieging the TC is a thing that should definitely be considered.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

@momuuu You can't realistically expect that to happen in a scenario where both players are making similar amounts of units and have similar skill (and over pr 25), unless the game is over already because one guy lost his whole army. The only time I can see that happen is when one player is aging and the other isn't. After all, how else do you get such a solid mass advantage that you can right click a tc? And well, colonial vs fortress games are not so common, which could explain why you don't see people siege tcs that much.

And even in that kind of games, it's often too risky to just right click the tc, unless you're really confident you have enough mass and enough siege power to bring tc down without dying to a classic big pop of units in your face... That's a really specific case. Usually, you can simply sieging the houses down to prevent the guy from shipping units and/or sieging the military buildings down to prevent him from making units, which is much safer, and often more efficient.

However, it does still happen regularly, so I don't get your point. You probably didn't watch a lot of games if you don't recall people right clicking tc... I can remember myself vs prince on wadmalaw in tourney, right clicking tc with jans. I've seen recently look losing his tc as jap against a russia right click. I remember losing to mitoe, going straight ff in ger mirror when he just made 700w 700g 10 dops + uhlans and right click my tc. I remember destroying tcs with 3sw 700w 700g 3 dops timing when the other guy was aging as fr or ger (I did it yesterday on stream, and did it before against dicktator and bwinner). And that's mostly stuff from me, but I'm sure a lot of other players can confirm that with their own experience.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

momuuu wrote:https://youtu.be/kX3F0q8mFYY?t=1h55m
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/37828072
(skip to 9:10 for the twitch one)

Two examples of town center sieging being a move that not many players would go for. In the first one, you can directly see how insanely much pressure the sieging from the janis puts on the towncenter. If Raphael goes for houses instead, there are actually hidden villagers and there's 200w in the bank for H2O which just lets him rebuild some hidden houses. That's actually quite a common thing to happen, it's really easy to sneak out a few villagers. If he spends too much time walking around, sieging a barracks that won't produce units anyways, or siege a market or sth 'because sieging a TC is not safe' he might actually lose that game. Instead, Raphael puts a lot of pressure on H2O by sieging all relevant shipment points as that'll make a comeback nearly impossible. Raphael knows the state of the game, knows what age up times are possible and what h2o could possibly have, and makes imo by far the best decisions in terms of what to siege that results in the highest possible winrate.

In the second one I think walking around too much with the sepoys, sieging a market or corral or trying to pressure villagers will result in the sioux player being able to get at least a shipment out. Sieging the TC here is by far the highest winrate play imo. It's such an important part of the game and I really do feel like people often fail to recognise that sieging the TC is a thing that should definitely be considered.

well spain vs otto is indeed a mu where you want to go for the tc. You want to go tower > tc. Because once the tc is dead, they dont have shipments, and all they have going for them is shipments. But this is also a mu where going for the tc can easily backfire. If ryan wouldve played it properly, he wouldve probably been able to hold and then otto wouldve spent all their time sieging a tc and got nothing for it in return. Still, as otto I would go for sieging the tc in this case, because its kinda the best chance they have at winning.

Sioux is kinda the same thing. There isn't even much to siege vs sioux. But tbh, you intercepting those 15 vils he had on the hunt also wouldve won the game.

In general, when you are age2 and someone else is aging or trying to age, then it's a good thing to siege tc. And I think thats something many ppl do.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Base trades?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well, maybe it's not 'underrated' necessarily although I think public opinion isn't giving sieging the TC the legitemacy that it deserves. But that overall seems like a pointless discussion anyways, if it's underrated or not. The only real point I would like to emphasize is that it's the first thing to consider when deciding what to siege: TC or other buildings?
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

@sebnan12 expert in base trades Xd
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Good players simply know when they have a chance to burn tc and when only houses. It all depends on the situation.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

you should do that vs India
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I think other than sieging potentially key buildings sieging stuff isnt really that important. It feels really good to destroy buildings and it does feel very impactful, but houses are only 100w and production buildings are only 200w. Thats simply not a lot, just a few units. I'd say that sieging stuff is a thing you do when its completely safe or just something you do while idling villagers. Id prioritize finding stray vills that didnt make it to the TC or killing leftover parts of the opponents army over actually sieging buildings. Sieging forward bases can definitely be a big mistake that gives your opponent more time which might just allow him to muster up a competitive army or get that crucial unit shipment or something (although it is of course still some damage). I find that I personally way overvalue the impact of destroying buildings. If I have killed a barracks and a house I can feel like it gives a big advantage while its similair to killing maybe five units or two villagers or something. Just a note that psychologically killing builds feels better than it really is for probably many people.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

When you do the 9/10, especially vs germany, burning the houses is important. If all goes well the opponent ages and can't send in any of the military unit shipments. It's also good to siege villages vs china.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

For everyone one example you have of seiging a tc being good there are ten games won by some guy popping shit out of the tc. Generally you are way more vulnerable attacking a tc and you have done zero samamge until the 6500 tc goes down. Killing housing is way faster which is harder to coordinate a defense against. Plus when the house dies it potentially denies your opponents next batches which furthers your tempo lead.