Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Do colours matter?

Post by pecelot »

Recently I came across this video:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31K6jammH0[/video]

So red means an aggressive play while blue is aimed to players who like long games...
Do you think it matters in AoE3? It would be nice to see some stats from our tournament to see how many times people choose a certain colour, what is the percentage of win while playing as red for example, what strategies people tend to do as blue etc.
What I know is that sometimes players choose their colours by the colour of a terrain, i. e. teal or pink on snowy maps such as Hudson Bay or Yukon.
As you certainly know, default colours for AoE3 are blue for the player, red for the enemy and yellow for ally. In AoE2 it is different, there's a Barbarossa campaign in which you play in red and there's also an Attila the Hun one where the opponents are blue. In both AoE 2 &' 3 the default colour is blue, red is the second choice. I know only one game in which red was a default colour for a player - Cossacks: European Wars.
Any thoughts? :D
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Do colours matter?

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Stupid thread?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Do colours matter?

Post by zoom »

It doesn't matter what color you are! It's what civilization you are that matters.

RACE WAR!!!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Do colours matter?

Post by pecelot »

diarouga wrote:Stupid thread?
?? It''s more like trivia and I''m just interested to see your feedback on that.
India _DB_
Howdah

Do colours matter?

Post by _DB_ »

For some reason, I like
yellow veteran hussars, purple pikeman, cyan ulhans, green cuirassiers, red coats, red mahouts, honoured yumis (their cool black outfit), green chu ko nus, pink spahis, blue gurks, any veteran janissary, red goons, blue ruyters etc., dunno what I missed

I hate blue colonial musks and pink abus guns.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Do colours matter?

Post by 91 »

if I pick colors, I pick them depending on the civ I play. :p

Red goes for civs like spain, aztec, brits

blue goes for french, dutch

yellow for china

turqoise/teal or pink for germans

Does that mean I'm aggressive as brits? Well yes I like being aggressive as brits :D

(Only playing red from now on)
No Flag edehollandsbrother
Musketeer

Do colours matter?

Post by edehollandsbrother »

91 wrote:yellow for china
yep
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Do colours matter?

Post by fei123456 »

i love blue and i love boom
(and i got rushed and gg you noob)
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Do colours matter?

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Yes. Green tends to go lategame and win while teal tends to have the larger penis.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Do colours matter?

Post by momuuu »

Orange all the way. Ive played orange so much that my brain couples orange and friendly. If my opponents pick orange before me, I just fail.

I think itd be good to play with friend foe colors. Trigger yourself into associating blue with friendly and red with enemy. That way you'll probably be able to make sense out of the minimap more quickly.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Do colours matter?

Post by zoom »

edehollandsbrother wrote:
91 wrote:yellow for china
yep
I hear that!
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Do colours matter?

Post by Durokan »

jerom wrote:Orange all the way. Ive played orange so much that my brain couples orange and friendly. If my opponents pick orange before me, I just fail.

I think itd be good to play with friend foe colors. Trigger yourself into associating blue with friendly and red with enemy. That way you''ll probably be able to make sense out of the minimap more quickly.
aiz posted some stuff in some random user created content thread to change friend or foe colors. IE you can set yourself to be orange instead of blue to friend or foe and set your opponent to be [insert color here] instead of red. ill see if i can find it

EDIT: you made that original post xD
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Do colours matter?

Post by momuuu »

durokan wrote:
jerom wrote:Orange all the way. Ive played orange so much that my brain couples orange and friendly. If my opponents pick orange before me, I just fail.

I think itd be good to play with friend foe colors. Trigger yourself into associating blue with friendly and red with enemy. That way youll probably be able to make sense out of the minimap more quickly.
aiz posted some stuff in some random user created content thread to change friend or foe colors. IE you can set yourself to be orange instead of blue to friend or foe and set your opponent to be [insert color here] instead of red. ill see if i can find it

EDIT: you made that original post xD

jup and ive been enjoying that ever since.

Ever since I have that I try to pick colors that are hard to see, like teal.
Germany oO_Chief_Oo
Musketeer
ESO: S77XN

Do colours matter?

Post by oO_Chief_Oo »

Orange
Yellow
Purp
Green
Red
if none of them available i quit room.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Do colours matter?

Post by pecelot »

But it's not the colours you like the most I was referring to, but the influence of them on your game. Of course I'm aware of that it's barely noticeable - that's why I asked for your opinions and feedback. Personally I associate red with power, strenght and violence, similar to what was in the video, but I don't see any impact of that in the game. Maybe purely because I played as many matches as red as as blue so I don't really care about that. Possibly I get used to new things quite quickly as well. My friend with whom I played some AoE3 once told me that he always had his base in the bottom side of the map and when we got spawned in the north he was confused and played badly. Maybe you guys have some similar habits? :)
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Do colours matter?

Post by japanesegeneral »

You have 2 remeber friend foe colors. Sou can not make a statistic since both players might be blue. While u can see one or even both of them in different colors.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Do colours matter?

Post by momuuu »

I think the biggest difference is that you can train yourself to instantly think about enemy with just about any colour, while you consider another color allied. This conditioning can apperantly be extremely strong. Ive watched some orrange hussars murdering my villagers while I frantically tried to micro the opponents hussars.

I think conditioning yourself to consider a colour as friendly and a colour as enemy can be really useful.
Switzerland niedhalf
Musketeer
ESO: Niedhalf

Do colours matter?

Post by niedhalf »

teal for ever....it cant be spotted on snow minimap :D and i see my units on the field....still suk at mikro so it doesnt matter XD i hate Blue cause you never can tell how many hp you have left on each unit cause of those damn dark blue/black HP bar :(
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Do colours matter?

Post by aoefan4life »

Colors matter when making presentations depending on what ethnicity you're speaking to.

Yellow means cowardice in the United States

Yellow means courage in Japan
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Do colours matter?

Post by momuuu »

I heard that when giving a presentation, bright colours make you seem much more enthousiastic to the audience. So theres definitely some subconcious influence of colours, but Im not sure to what degree that happens in aoe3.

Maybe players are more likely to flame their opponent if hes playing as red?
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Do colours matter?

Post by Marco1698 »

pecelot wrote:Recently I came across this video:

[video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31K6jammH0"][/video]

So red means an aggressive play while blue is aimed to players who like long games...
Do you think it matters in AoE3? It would be nice to see some stats from our tournament to see how many times people choose a certain colour, what is the percentage of win while playing as red for example, what strategies people tend to do as blue etc.
What I know is that sometimes players choose their colours by the colour of a terrain, i. e. teal or pink on snowy maps such as Hudson Bay or Yukon.
As you certainly know, default colours for AoE3 are blue for the player, red for the enemy and yellow for ally. In AoE2 it is different, there''s a Barbarossa campaign in which you play in red and there''s also an Attila the Hun one where the opponents are blue. In both AoE 2 & 3 the default colour is blue, red is the second choice. I know only one game in which red was a default colour for a player - Cossacks: European Wars.

What about my yellow?
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Do colours matter?

Post by _venox_ »

I sometimes go green or pink for my enemy to think I am a sissy, while actually crushing them. Also I like to pick red for defensive nations for exactly that purpose: for my enemy to think I'll go aggressive.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Do colours matter?

Post by pecelot »

jerom wrote:I think the biggest difference is that you can train yourself to instantly think about enemy with just about any colour, while you consider another color allied. This conditioning can apperantly be extremely strong. Ive watched some orrange hussars murdering my villagers while I frantically tried to micro the opponents hussars.

I think conditioning yourself to consider a colour as friendly and a colour as enemy can be really useful.
True, yeah, I think it can work in that way.

Blue and red are typical colours for gaming franchises. As you can see, there are not so many researches about that, just some examples from particular games, and it''s just a thesis, so it would be hard to include yellow as well I guess.
No Flag S_I_D
Musketeer

Do colours matter?

Post by S_I_D »

pecelot wrote:Recently I came across this video:

[video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31K6jammH0"][/video]

As you certainly know, default colours for AoE3 are blue for the player, red for the enemy and yellow for ally. In AoE2 it is different, there''s a Barbarossa campaign in which you play in red and there''s also an Attila the Hun one where the opponents are blue. In both AoE 2 & 3 the default colour is blue, red is the second choice. I know only one game in which red was a default colour for a player - Cossacks: European Wars.

Imo I don''t think colors should ever reflect the way that you are guna play during that particular game. If you get into the habit of that and do it purposefully I think that it''ll make you incredibly easy to read and rather predictable if someone actually catches on to the pattern. I play the same color literally every game (#Teal4theWin #TealPower #TealTitan) because teal is best. With teal you get passive 10% gather increase along with 10% unit armor bc of teal fashion statement. Well anyways the first part I''m trying to be kinda serious on this rather comical thread, but once you pick teal you''ll never go back. *mic drop*
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Do colours matter?

Post by Good ol Ivan »

I just watched the video. Yep that''s why my favorite color is purple all the way :-S
Also I fucking hate yellow, I can''t bear playing as yellow. Or anyone playing as yellow for that matter, ugh.

diarouga wrote:Stupid thread?
Don''t be rude! It''s obvious we lose our games not because of our actual skill or any of that silly nonsense. It''s obviously because of our colours... Yep that''s totally why I''m still a 1st liet. game colors