Post by momuuu »

Because eso is unstable.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Age of Empires Campaign Speedruns

Post by lemmings121 »

jerom wrote:Because eso is unstable.
yep, looks like its time for another speedrun...
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

einfein wrote:Why are so many people doing speed runs recently? I hear the casters talking about them on Saturday Smackdown etc. Are they really this fun? I''ve never played the AoE3 campaign.
So you don''t really know what you are talking about... :P
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

I also played the first scenario "breakout", and i reached about 6:10 with the following interesting strat: I didnt care about the enemys army and just massed upgradet rods behind the base. The Key behind this strat is that you cant make the scenario faster with beating the enemys army. I collected the wood crates on the hill with all vills cause i wanted the 3 other cannons arrive as fast as possible. When the other cannons arrive the enemys inf/cav isnt very close to the cannons (they destroy walls and buildings) and i can destroy the 4 cannons easily with my big mass of rods ') I tryed this only one time, so for sure you can optimize this strat, but ill wont do that, i just wanted to beat the time of pecelot ')
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Cool strat. But, when you play the campaign on hard, don't you need units to kill the jans with? Are the few xbows and pikes and towers enough to hold the base?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Enemy seems to be intersted in destroying every infrastructure, so walls and barracks as well. It gives you some time and furthermore I guess 30 or so rods are enough so you can still produce around 30 xbows, especially with the wood from the firepit you can make almost 4 full batches of them.

EDIT: and like I said my attempt wasn't fully optimized, but I'm glad that my strategy worked and congratulations on your time :)
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

yes i played the hard version and the crossbows and pikes at the start are enough to hold (that means the ottomans wont destroy your main building), if you dont use them you will always loose i think, at least you need the crossbows (should have added that in my previous post, but to be honest when i posted that i even thought that you dont need any defense cause i didnt made anything with my crossbows and didnt realized they do some necassary defending XD). But more crossbows would be counterproductive i think, at the start it could be bad, cause i want the ottomans go in my base to isolate the cannons and later rods (or maybe pikes) are just better.
Maybe you could make it even faster by buildung two barracks at the coast with some sneaky vills, so you can use the wood from the firepit to make some extra rods (use market), but its just an idea :)
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

I think i should have the perfect build for this scenario now i reached 6:06 (last bombard destroyed)
1. Get one sneaky vill to the coast and build two barracks (use the crossbows to help the vill until he is safe)' get the rod uprgade' collect the far treasures with your hero
2. Send vills on food/gold (i think you dont need the eco upgrades from the market)' buy food and gold from the market with wood to spam rods on the coast
3. Get the hero outside to your rods: he will lose some hp, what isnt a problem cause he will get it back, also you can use him to get some ottoman units away from your main building, if necessary
4. Use your pikes from the start to defend your mainbuilding if necessary (in my game two jans attacked my mainbuilding, but this varies)
5. Get all the vills (except the one you send to the coast ofc) to the firepit just before the wood spawn (dont know the exact time of this so i loose some res cause my vills are to early at the firepit, but that doesnt matter much i think)
6. if the first cannon is isolated enough you can destroy it already, but be careful with your rods and hero, get them back to the coast after they destroyed the cannon, the ottoman units which attacking the rods will go away if the distance between your rods/hero and the ottoman units is big enough (maybe at this point you can also use some of your pikes to devert the ottoman units, but i didnt do that in my game and dont know if its useful)
7. After your vills gatherd the wood you can expect the 3 other cannons apearing soon, get your rods in position to destroy them as fast as possible
Maybe you get a bit unlucky sometimes, but you will always have a time better then 6:20 for sure :D
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

eulergauss wrote:5. Get all the vills (except the one you send to the coast ofc) to the firepit just before the wood spawn (dont know the exact time of this so i loose some res cause my vills are to early at the firepit, but that doesnt matter much i think)
At 4m50s the first bombard appears and shortly after that the wood crates spawn. I''d recommend to send the villagers to the hill at about 4m30s when they gather nearby, somewhere near the fifth barracks in the north.
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

short edit: after i executed my bo better i got 5:53 now (better positioning from the rods, so they can destroy the last 3 cannons faster), but i think even about 5:45 should be possible
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

i also did hunting dogs, steeltraps and placer mines this time, maybe it helps to get a little bit more mass of rods
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

the key for the perfect execution would be to know where the 3 cannons exactly spawn
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Post by Einfein »

pecelot wrote:
einfein wrote:Why are so many people doing speed runs recently? I hear the casters talking about them on Saturday Smackdown etc. Are they really this fun? Ive never played the AoE3 campaign.
So you dont really know what you are talking about... :P
I believe I asked several questions, I didnt comment on something I know nothing about. Perhaps you should adjust your glasses while reading.
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I meant that you should definitely try it if you have never played the campaign.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

eulergauss wrote:short edit: after i executed my bo better i got 5:53 now (better positioning from the rods, so they can destroy the last 3 cannons faster), but i think even about 5:45 should be possible
Wow, that''s a really good time. Much better than the others ones I have seen before. Nice job! Are you sure the market upgrades help though? It seems like Steel Traps takes too long to pay off, but I haven''t done the math yet.
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

I havent done the math too, but Hunting dogs should be good and yeah steeltraps + placermines arent very useful maybe. I would send like 14 vills on food and 3 vills on gold, also buy with your wood gold (you dont need to buy food with gold).
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Did you upgrade your rods to veterancy or do you think it's not viable and instead opt to enlarge your mass?
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

im sure its good to upgrade them
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Post by Einfein »

pecelot wrote:I meant that you should definitely try it if you have never played the campaign.
Ah, sorry for taking it the wrong way. I''m thinking I will give it a go, though it sounds like it''s going to be a radically different experience.

8-|
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Thanks for sharing your strategies. First I didn't want to give mine for The Ottoman Fort away, but why not. My best time is currently 4:34 when the TC was down. I recorded and uploaded that from 2 minutes on.

[video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0dsjPM8zk"][/video]

However, if you wanna see my full execution, I uploaded a full run, a much slower one, to see my BO. You can find part 1 and 2 here:
[video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVd0lZVIuxw&'feature=youtu.be"][/video][video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhLtZ7Ff2Uk&'feature=youtu.be"][/video]

This is what you gotta do.

-Make the Town Center ASAP
-Let Morgan kill the carib blowgunner guardian 40 food with his sledgehammerroundhousesmash
-Let 1 vill herd the hunt towards the Town Center
-Let 1 vill make a market
-Send the ship to the south and kill the enemy ship with your broadside attack, after that kill the dock with broadside
-Send the 4 pikes below the enemy base. If you do this correctly, some of them will be damage, but none of them are dead. Start sieging the gate of the south.
-Gather starting crates, 1 food 1 gold is the best start
-Sell wood for gold, sell gold for food
-When you got a Town Center, send 2 vills and ageup with 400 wood. You don't have to make vills with a good start.
-Send 2 vills to below, where your pikes are.
-Research gangsaw, after that, put all your vills on wood, except for maybe 1.
-When Morgan got the treasure, let him run to the east to the next treasure. Attack the carib guardian to make the pirate guardian come to you, and use your bullshitspecialOPattack on the pirate. The carib will die and you have to finish the pirate. After you got the treasure, run to the gate where the pikes are.
-Keep sending infinite 300f from the home city.
-----Now you are aged-----
-Make sure the sea is cleared from fishing boats
-Keep sending infinite 300f from the home city.
-You should have 400 wood when you are aged. Make 2 barracks out of it, 1 with each vill, as close to the gate as possible.
-Get the wood treasure below the enemy base with either you hero or one of the vills.
- When the pikes have sieged the gate, walk in with Morgan. Let him attack the Command Post. Put him in cover mode when the command post starts shooting at you. Let your 4 pikes come after Morgan, so they dont get attacked.
-Make only pikes from the barracks. Let your vills gather a nearby tree.
-Make a house, you will likely stick at 35/35
-Try to use your karatemasterswordbrainpush on a vill that is between the Town Center and the Command Post. This attack also does siege damage when a building is nearby.
-Keep making pikes. Don't forget to gather food crates.
-When the Command Post is gone, make sure to attack the Town Center with Morgan first again, so he will get shot. (The poor guy)
-Make sure you micro your pikes so they dont run around.
-Done
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

einfein wrote:
pecelot wrote:I meant that you should definitely try it if you have never played the campaign.
Ah, sorry for taking it the wrong way. Im thinking I will give it a go, though it sounds like its going to be a radically different experience.

8-|

You dont have to do a speedrun at the beginning, exploring new scenarios is an expierence Im personally jealous of. But you know some people have been playing the campaign since 2005 and have accomplished many successful runs, so a speedrun is definitely something you would be keen on after so much time.